Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Problems with XF

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cats_paws View Post
    The voltage on my battery was so low when I bought my car that I changed it. It made no difference. It's regularly down to 12.2V or less. I've just checked it now and it's only 12.1V so I've put it on charge. I think it's just a quirk of the XF. Whether there is a significant current draw with the boot open or whether the voltage would be the same anyway I don't know. It doesn't seem to cause any problems other than the stop/start doesn't kick in and sometimes the air vents don't open when I start the car. It's been like this for three years so I don't worry about it any more. If I go for a longish run it all returns to normal.
    It is not the low voltage that bothers me. It’s the annoying cant apply handbrake light. That and the fact I have just needlessly bought a new battery. After a short run the light went out and everything worked ok.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by philayl1 View Post
    Hi, is the alternator charging it properly? Phil
    Yes its showing 13.5/14 volts when the engine is running.

Post Thanks / Like
    Was the new battery fully charged before fitting, if not the BMS will still be registering the old values. Just because they are new doesn’t mean they come fully charged.
    3.0D 2012 (62) XF-S Premium Luxury IRR
    Previous: 3.0D 2009 (59) XF Luxury, 2002 (52) S Type 3.0 S

4. Likes @l@n liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by idrobbo View Post
    Was the new battery fully charged before fitting, if not the BMS will still be registering the old values. Just because they are new doesn’t mean they come fully charged.
    Yes it was on charge overnight before it was fitted. The handbrake was reset by depressing the foot pedal without problem when the new battery was fitted. Everything was working fine till the next day.

Post Thanks / Like
    I dunno about the XF (despite having owned two of them!) but I have worked out that on my F-Type the BMS puts the electrical system into "quiescent mode" fairly quickly after locking the car. Then, when I unlock the car and check the battery voltage (without starting the engine) it reads 12.2v every single time, but if I check again after having run the battery tender and/or gone for a drive it reads 12.6v.
    The battery in my F-Type is the original which is now five years old and I have never had a single battery or electrical problem, albeit it is an AGM and not a flooded cell lead acid like the pre-2012 XF.
    Point is I suspect on 2012 on XFs the BMS invokes "quiescent mode" and if so a reading of 12.2v is normal and nothing to panic about, and maybe the same on earlier XFs.
    2014 F-Type S coupe, Lunar Grey, red seats and nearly all the options.
    The dearly departed - 2010 XFS and 2010 XFR.

7. Thanks @l@n thanked for this post
    Likes Cats_paws liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, did you reset the BMS after changing the battery, it made quite a difference to mine. Phil
    2008 XF Luxury 2.7D, Azure Blue/Dove Grey, Jaguar Voice, Mirror Pack, Winter Pack, DAB Radio, Keyless Entry, Owned from new.

9. Thanks @l@n thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, did you reset the BMS after changing the battery, it made quite a difference to mine. Phil
    Ooo !...This sounds interesting ? What does BMS mean ?.....And how do you reset it ?

Post Thanks / Like
    I reset the handbrake and it was fine at first. I checked the battery voltage before i went out earlier and it was 12.6. Started the engine and it showed 14 .5v. I drove for about 7 miles, stopped and “the cannot apply handbrake light” came on again.
    The voltage showed 12.7. Perhaps the problem is on the handbrake. If so it’s intermittent. BMS?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by @l@n View Post
    I reset the handbrake and it was fine at first. I checked the battery voltage before i went out earlier and it was 12.6. Started the engine and it showed 14 .5v. I drove for about 7 miles, stopped and “the cannot apply handbrake light” came on again.
    The voltage showed 12.7. Perhaps the problem is on the handbrake. If so it’s intermittent. BMS?
    BMS = Battery Monitoring System. Phil
    2008 XF Luxury 2.7D, Azure Blue/Dove Grey, Jaguar Voice, Mirror Pack, Winter Pack, DAB Radio, Keyless Entry, Owned from new.

13. Thanks @l@n, Peterthejagman thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    BMS = Battery Monitoring System. Phil
    I wasnt aware that I had one. where is it and how is it reset?

15. Likes Peterthejagman liked this post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast