Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Problems with XF

Post Thanks / Like

Problems with XF

Hello Guys, hope somebody can help with the following problem. I have a 2011 Portfolio with 65000 on the clock,had it
    since March this year and it has been fine till today. Started fine this morning so i moved it to my driveway and gave it a wash,
    I just used a wash brush and went over the whole car with it then dried it off and gave it a polish,at no time did I soak any where
    near the engine or hold the water on any one part longer than normal also cleaned the wheels with the wash brush,then left the car
    for about 30 mins while I had a coffee. Jumped in it and it would not start,wouldn't even turn over, tried several times with no luck,
    then the ABS Fault light came on so left it for a while then went back and tried again, still not turning over but this time as well as the ABS
    light the Gearbox fault warning came on,then, without me doing anything the Wipers came on, then all the warning lights came on and off
    on their own,I didn't touch anything, I sat there for a while and managed to switch the Ignition off when suddenly it came backon,on it's
    own.

I have managed to lock it successfully but i keep checking to see if any lights are on,but so far so good.

Any Help or suggestions as to what as happened and what to check would be appreciated.

Mike2

Post Thanks / Like
    You have a flat battery by your description
    S TYPE R 2003
    BMW M3 EVOLUTION 1998
    You can not beat me in a argument
    I am too stupid to know when I am beaten

3. Likes Jimbov8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for prompt reply,I did consider a Flat Battery. I do have a charger but if I removed Battery to charge it what sort of problems if any would I have on reconnection?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Mike. I have read on here before that you can connect the charger with the battery still connected to the car.

Put the positive lead from the charger to the battery positive and the negative lead from the charger to the long thin bolt that is used to secure the battery hold down strap.

I'm sure someone will confirm this shortly.
    2.2 d sport in British Racing Green metallic with cream leather interior, six disc changer, heated seats,heated screens, hid kit,upper and lower mesh grilles, headlamp power wash.( Has now gone on to new owner) Replaced with a metallic black 2.2 XF sport with extra toys.

6. Likes Jimbov8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing major windows and parking brake reset radio station time date restore will all be in the handbook
    S TYPE R 2003
    BMW M3 EVOLUTION 1998

8. Likes Jimbov8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for replies Guys, Payno,do you concur with rapala about charging Battery in situ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Further note, I don't have the Radio Code if I have to disconnect.

Post Thanks / Like
    You don’t need one.
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

12. Likes payno liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2 View Post
    Thanks for replies Guys, Payno,do you concur with rapala about charging Battery in situ?
    Yes you can do that never done it myself though
    S TYPE R 2003
    BMW M3 EVOLUTION 1998

Post Thanks / Like
    No problem at all in charging with the above described method especially as you will have the “Battery Monitoring System” fitted to the negative terminal of the battery.
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

15. Likes payno liked this post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast