Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Navigaiton devices.

Post Thanks / Like

Navigaiton devices.

I want to buy a new navigation for my car. I was looking at a Tom Tom but I have been put of by having to pay for sim card activation and the annual subscription.

Can anybody recommend any devices that will show you the actual traffic conditions for example traffic jams that does not cost an arm and a leg.
    Ducmon.
    Grumpy Old Git
    “When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.”
    Napoléon Bonaparte

2003 (botox) S type 3.0 sport with manual gearbox, as rare as rocking horse apples

Post Thanks / Like
    Google maps is free and does what you ask which I have used all over europe with no problems if you have a smart phone.
    “If you see a gap and don't go for it, you are no longer a racing driver”

JAGUAR STR X206

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
    Google maps is free and does what you ask which I have used all over europe with no problems if you have a smart phone.

I have tried google maps and it was a disaster because here in the Germany the mobile phone net is really bad. It quite often does not work.
    Grumpy Old Git
    “When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.”
    Napoléon Bonaparte

2003 (botox) S type 3.0 sport with manual gearbox, as rare as rocking horse apples

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm happy with my Garmin Nüvi bud, free lifetime upgrades, very good display. Mine is now about 10 years old and I've not used it recently.

I use Google maps on my phone, it's great even for Cyprus.

The Tom Tom is overpriced in my view.

What do Germans use, is it your mobile provider that's got poor coverage?

Post Thanks / Like
    It is every mobile provider that has problems . There are areas where there is no signals what's ever. In others it is so slow that Google maps cannot work reliably.

Even the poles have better next than we do and they are shocked at the German net.

Post Thanks / Like
    What on earth happened to the Germany I knew in the late 80s bud?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_S-V6_2004 View Post
    What on earth happened to the Germany I knew in the late 80s bud?

Merkel.

They are saying that "made in Germany" has lost its magic and it no longer means high quality. It reminds me of when "Made in England" went through the same sort of thing and eventually the IMF was called in.
    Grumpy Old Git
    Napoléon Bonaparte

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ducmon View Post
    It is every mobile provider that has problems . There are areas where there is no signals what's ever. In others it is so slow that Google maps cannot work reliably.

Even the poles have better next than we do and they are shocked at the German net.
    Odd!

I get a 4G signal over at least 95% of my regular run from North Norfolk to the Algarve....
    This is using EE as a provider,no signal at home,drive 2 miles and I have a signal,even in the higher,remoter parts of central Spain I have a decent signal.
    If I understood the way "smart" phones work,I could bin my Tomtom....

Would suggest that you do more research on providers.
    2000 S Type manual(now sold and replaced with a Transit Connect that ate it's engine in Spain and replaced with another Connect known as the Micro Stealth Camper) BMW E30 cabbie in the very rare neon green colour and a Nissan Micra for 'er indoors!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by E30MW View Post
    Odd!

I get a 4G signal over at least 95% of my regular run from North Norfolk to the Algarve....
    This is using EE as a provider,no signal at home,drive 2 miles and I have a signal,even in the higher,remoter parts of central Spain I have a decent signal.
    If I understood the way "smart" phones work,I could bin my Tomtom....

Would suggest that you do more research on providers.
    I have done however the only places that have 4g are the cities. The best that I can get here is LTE but most of the time it is D. This why I am asking about navigation devices.
    As Google maps DOES NOT WORK. In the pampers.
    Grumpy Old Git
    Napoléon Bonaparte

Post Thanks / Like
    The easiest and cheapest way is to buy a temporary pay-as-you-go SIM from another couple of providers and try them.

I use a Lebara UK SIM and that uses any available provider as its transport, no problems even in Kuwait.

Last edited by Jim_S-V6_2004; 23-10-19 at 09:21.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast