Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: XK Dynamic R Diff - Kaput

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no answers to the issue in question on this post, but I am always amazed at the knowledge of the members on this forum, absolutely fantastic.

What I do want to say is, how has a differential failed at such a low mileage? I cannot understand a circumstance that this would come to be an issue? Surely these really are pretty much sealed for life. I've run a BMW M3 up to 170,000 miles without any thought the differential would be any kind of issue. I know this is a Jaguar not a BMW, but isn't Jaguar quality control even higher than that of BMW? That's a glorified 3 series when all is said and done.

A surprised and disappointed Steve.
    Current: Jaguar XKR 5.0 (2012)
    Previous: BMW E46 M3 Coupe, BMW E36 M3 Evo, Ford Mondeo ST24, Yamaha R1.
    My music: https://soundcloud.com/bass2rez/tracks

2. Thanks MarkyM thanked for this post
    Likes MarkyM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    By the way, as this is a factory warranty covered low mileage Jaguar XK Dynamic R, and rather incredibly there seems to be no new diffs available, I think Jaguar should be finding the best XK Dynamic R in their used catalogue and effectively buying it from that dealer with the view to removing the diff and supplying it to the garage dealing with mchammer's vehicle, and covering that under the same warranty arrangement. This is the least I would expect under these circumstances.
    Current: Jaguar XKR 5.0 (2012)
    Previous: BMW E46 M3 Coupe, BMW E36 M3 Evo, Ford Mondeo ST24, Yamaha R1.
    My music: https://soundcloud.com/bass2rez/tracks

Post Thanks / Like
    It’s not that I cant find one, its that Jaguar cant find one that has it can guarantee is a genuine jaguar part. It wont cost me anything as is all being done under warranty, my issue is that I will have been without my car for nearly 4 months, having bought it in Jan 2019. It has a 2 year approved warranty. I have already requested that Jaguar stop the clock on the warranty from when it went into the shop, and restart it when I get it back. One piece of good news, I did use my Credit card for chunk of the purchase, so wonder what the rules are on supplier dispute.
    Current : XK150 XK Dynamic R 2015MY Ultimate Black
    Previous : XK150 XKR 4.2 2008MY Midnight, S Type Diesel Sport Manual 2006MY Black,

Post Thanks / Like
    So for anyone that is interested...My XKR is due back this week. After 3 months. I have not been without a car, Jaguar have via Enterpise provided a Discovery HSE Sport. Looks like they had to get the supplier to build a new batch of e-diffs. £2,500K. I did ask Quaiffe, but they said thiers would muck up the electronics so it was a no go. It is disturbing though that this has been 3 months to get a part on a car that went out of production 5 years ago..
    Previous : XK150 XKR 4.2 2008MY Midnight, S Type Diesel Sport Manual 2006MY Black,

6. Thanks MarkyM thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the update. Good to hear that you are soon to be reunited with the car, despite the long wait.
    Current Car: 2011 XK 5.0. Daily Driver: 2019 BMW M140

Previous Cars:
    2002 X Type, 1967 MGB GT, 1982 Rover SD1 Vitesse, 1975 MGB, 1984 Mini 25, 1973 Mini
    2017 BMM 530e, 2014 BMW 328, 2010 Audi A5, 2009 VW Touareg, 2006 Audi A6, 2000 Land Rover Discovery, 1997 Merc C Class, 1993 Volvo 480

Post Thanks / Like
    I like how they "changed the seal" and it then suddenly made a noise

My Rangie axles leak oil like a sieve yet the level doesn't noticeably drop over the 10k service interval.

Did they top off your blinker fluid and replace the muffler bearing while they were there?

Did she make any noticeable noise before going in?
    MY2005 Jaguar S Type 3.0SE Radiance red - High Luxury.
    MY2001 Range Rover P38 Vogue 4.6 - Only slightly internally incontinent.
    MY2000 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 "the lumber bus"

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't be too quick to blame Jaguar here.

The entire diff is a bought-in part from most probably Dana and both Jaguar themselves and the dealer will have zero input to this. The car itself has gone beyond a warranty period, so they actually have no need to fix it other than to keep a previous customer happy.

During production, a certain number of spare parts are scheduled to be bought - and this is done on the basis on a spares schedule, made from an estimate of how many they'll need for the next five years or so. With a diff, that number is going to be very low, possibly even zero.

10. Likes Thomas Hayward liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I escalated this before Christmas with Jaguar HQ, when I bought the car in Jan 2019 I bought it as an approved used warranty, 2 years - think unlimited mileage. So I havent had to pay for anything, but the frustration has been as you say seperation from me and the car, knowing its depreciating and not being able to use it. I think woody you are correct, the part will have have had to been comissioned from the original manufacturer - hardly any car parts nowadays are made by Jag, they are in the main a style house, tuning house, engine manufacturer and system integrator (perhaps thats a bit harsh). I have asked Jag to extend the approved warranty once I have the car returned, and at a minimum expecting this to be 3 months and would hope for 6 !

12. Likes MarkyM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, you'll probably find that's most car manufacturers, not just Jaguar - and has been the case for many years. Various components are often sourced from elsewhere, or shared across product ranges.

As a volume manufacturer, in order to produce an entire car and all its parts, you'd need a huge amount of tooling, and factory space.

Quote Originally Posted by mchammer View Post
    I escalated this before Christmas with Jaguar HQ, when I bought the car in Jan 2019 I bought it as an approved used warranty, 2 years - think unlimited mileage. So I havent had to pay for anything, but the frustration has been as you say seperation from me and the car, knowing its depreciating and not being able to use it. I think woody you are correct, the part will have have had to been comissioned from the original manufacturer - hardly any car parts nowadays are made by Jag, they are in the main a style house, tuning house, engine manufacturer and system integrator (perhaps thats a bit harsh). I have asked Jag to extend the approved warranty once I have the car returned, and at a minimum expecting this to be 3 months and would hope for 6 !
    2003 Jaguar XJ8 (X350) 4.2 Silver
    2006 Jaguar XK (X150) 4.2 Indigo Metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    It is definitely irritating for those of us who have old cars or even classic that parts supply for them eventually cease. However, for a car that is less than 7 years old, it is very disappointing. I think I saw that in Germany 10 years is the minimum. Jaguar is aiming to support its owners of older cars but if parts for the newer cars is difficult to get, the classic have no chance

We are currently "restoring" our FIAT Coupe, which has been out of production for 19 years, and finding some parts is really a challenge. But FIAT doesn't have a real classic following.

Most car manufacturers these days only make the body and assemble the parts from mainly the same suppliers as their competitors. Their input is the external design, safety, how it drives, usually the engines and sometimes the gearboxes. It is no surprise that there isn't so much difference between brands anymore and not even so much difference between the standard and premium brands.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 17k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 12k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast