Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: XK Dynamic R Diff - Kaput

Post Thanks / Like

XK Dynamic R Diff - Kaput

Last week my Dynamic R (bought in Jan under approved used) went into Jaguar to have a couple of minor issues resolved. Rattle on the exhaust - turns out its the heatshield bolt - went on My 4.2 as well, and a twisted passenger seatbelt.

When the mechanics looked it over they noticed a leak from the rear diff. So they replaced the seal, did a road test and found it was making a lot of noise, and decided the whole unit needs changing ! Good thing its under warranty. Only issue is they cant source one.. It’s gone to global sourcing now - to see if anyone on the planet has a spare...In the meantime I have been loaned a car - Audi Q7, by JLR. Question is has any one else had rear diff problems before ?
    Current : XK150 XK Dynamic R 2015MY Ultimate Black
    Previous : XK150 XKR 4.2 2008MY Midnight, S Type Diesel Sport Manual 2006MY Black,

Post Thanks / Like
    Check this on ebay number 272775184764 seller discount prestige it is new not sure if it is a lsd unit

John

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll assume that jag are trying to source a new one,

To my knowledge our Dynamics have the diff from the XKR-S with what's called 'active differential control'.

MC, may be useful to post the mileage on yours, mine is 52k miles and am having a diff fluid (BOT 720 IIRC) changed at next service on Dec 2nd

Here's a pic of that listing, as the manufacture date is 2011 I doubt it's the one for our cars. Am going to guess that when they changed your seal they also did the fluid, as logically if some had leaked out it won't be at capacity?

Keep us updated please as all Dynamic owners will be concerned that JLR can't source such a vital part on a car that's 4-5yr old
    2014 XK Dynamic R Coupe (no backbox, supercharger pulley upgrade and K&N's)
    Peugeot 2008 EAT6 with pan roof and heated seats - new addition

4. Likes OCD-Jagman, Gearheart liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post
    To my knowledge our Dynamics have the diff from the XKR-S with what's called 'active differential control'.

Here's a pic of that listing, as the manufacture date is 2011 I doubt it's the one for our cars. Am going to guess that when they changed your seal they also did the fluid, as logically if some had leaked out it won't be at capacity?
    A few points.

1. The XKR-S press release was dated March 2011 so the spec of the car would have been finalised by then and parts being produced.
    2. There are only two differentials listed in the part system and one supersedes the other so it looks like all supercharged 5 litre X150's got similar diffs.
    3. The later diff started from the 2013 MY.
    4. The XKR-S press release only mentions software changes for the differential:

"The Active Differential Control has been reprogrammed to reduce steering sensitivity at the very high speeds of which the car is capable, increasing stability and driver control.

The Dynamic Stability Control System has been reworked to maximise the benefit of these wider tyres. In Trac DSC mode this utilises specific traction, stability and eDiff settings to alter slip thresholds, differential torque distribution and intervention levels to allow the experienced driver to explore the outer edges of the performance and handling envelope."
    Current Jag: 2010 5.0 XKR (XKR-S X-Pipe, smaller S/C pulley and Tune ~650bhp - 11.567@123.19, max v=126.04!)

Previous Jags: 2007 4.2 XKR | 2004 4.2 XJ8 | 1998 4.0 XJR | 1996 6.0 XJ12 | 1989 5.3 XJ-S | 1983 5.3 XJ-S | 1980 5.3 XJ-S

6. Thanks MarkyM thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    MarkyM if you buy the diff oil from Land Rover it is nearly half price than from jaguar it is expensive, and it is measured by volume not filled to the filler hole.

John

8. Thanks MarkyM thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    John, I am aware as bought new/old stock from an ebay seller for £30 for 2 x 1l which I suspect is even cheaper than the landrover price
    2014 XK Dynamic R Coupe (no backbox, supercharger pulley upgrade and K&N's)
    Peugeot 2008 EAT6 with pan roof and heated seats - new addition

Post Thanks / Like
    As long as it is Castrol BOT 720 nothing else will do!!!

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all - I spotted last week on ebay brand new Jaguar diffs and pointed Jaguar at them. They told me they are unable to buy the, as they won’t be able to warranty the part. So the hunt goes on now globally for a replacement. Fortunately it is an approved used purchase so has around 16 months left of warranty. The car has 17,000 miles on it, 8500 when I bought it. So not a lot !
    Previous : XK150 XKR 4.2 2008MY Midnight, S Type Diesel Sport Manual 2006MY Black,

12. Thanks MarkyM thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So quick update. There is none. Jag still scouring the planet for a diff...currently in a hire car from Jaguar costing them £80 per day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Apparently this place (in Germany, granted) have them in stock - https://www.jaguar-shop.com/epages/6...ducts/C2D22854

From what I can make out they are an approved Jaguar parts supplier so perhaps there'd be a way for your dealer to acquire one from them?
    Current: 2009 XKR 5.0
    Previous: 2008 XKR 4.2

I take photos of cars! Find me on Facebook, Instagram and Flickr.

15. Thanks MarkyM thanked for this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast