Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crap Tyres

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Crap Tyres

I just discovered at the repair shop that our C180 is fitted with InsaTurbo EcoEvolution tyres.

They are... Remoulds!

Who said people didn't do that any more?

I wouldn't have rejected the car for that, it's the first in great condition, and I checked the tread of course, but I didn't read the name. I would replace them anyway if they weren't a known brand.

But the news is worse than I expected.

Here's the link, read all about it:
    https://www.prioritytire.com/by-bran...olution-tires/

It's another reminder to avoid unknown brand tyres or plan to replace them if you're buying a car fitted with this crap landfill.

Michelin, Pirelli, Goodyear, Continental, Bridgestone, Dunlop, Hankook, Toyo, Yokohama etc OK.

Last edited by Jim_S-V6_2004; 29-10-19 at 16:22.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jim,

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree with yo,u did you realise that around 80% of aircraft tyres are remoulds? Yep, 150+mph, 225psi and a load of upwards of 20 tonnes per tyre!

Scary innit?!

Hope you're having a great day!

Richard.
    2017 XE Portfolio 180PS AWD in Santorini Black with climate pack (I don't scrape!) panoramic roof, privacy glass and 19" style 1015 wheels (that I'd happily swap for a nice set of 18" 5 spokes. Anyone?)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RWD3M View Post
    Hi Jim,

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree with yo,u did you realise that around 80% of aircraft tyres are remoulds? Yep, 150+mph, 225psi and a load of upwards of 20 tonnes per tyre!

Scary innit?!

Hope you're having a great day!

Richard.
    Yes, Richard, but if I remember correctly, those were very thick and had recut treads, not wrap-around stick-ons, and truck and bus tyres used to be too.

But those were designed that way.

Retreaded truck and trailer tyres are known to be dangerous, see how many black ribbons there are on our motorways.

For cars that do 80+ mph? How safe are those, at a cost of around €40?

And there are many owners who don't read the site or reviews and don't know what remoulds are.

Who on earth permitted these ones for import to the EU? The same bureaucrats who forbid anything without a CE stamp but let in anything which has it, and don't test samples, and disregard fire test results.

Anyway, this is a warning and if they are in Cyprus and the USA they may be in the UK and France and Germany and Spain and Portugal too, or different brands of the same dangerous crap.

Only fit them to people's cars whom you really hate.

What other crap tyres have you chaps found?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Found them in the UK too, £40 each:
    https://alltyres365.co.uk/Tyre/car/s...215/50R17+95W/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_S-V6_2004 View Post
    For cars that do 80+ mph? How safe are those, at a cost of around €40?
    Well, apparently remould have to meet the same mechanical safety standards as new tyres: https://retreaders.org.uk/retreading/use-retread-tyre/

Hard to tell if their handling characteristics are any good though as test are not usually done on these products. I wouldn't buy them for my cars but it is very possible that the van behind you is running them and hasn't run into the the back of you.

One very basic test: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...aking-Test.htm

The results were not good but there was a Toyo, Avon, Cooper, Gislaved (Continental) and a Kleber (Michelin) down there too!

Remoulds are still very common and a lot of commercial vehicles and fleets use them: https://www.smmt.co.uk/2014/10/makin...remould-tyres/

Who on earth permitted these ones for import to the EU? The same bureaucrats who forbid anything without a CE stamp but let in anything which has it, and don't test samples, and disregard fire test results.
    Well, INSA Turbo appear to be an EU company- Spain??? http://www.insaturbo.com/ver/en/fich...NvRXZvbHV0aW9u

There are many remoulding companies in the UK too. Are you going to shut those down too?
    Last edited by Neilr; 29-10-19 at 16:52.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 17k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 12k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Back in the dark ages,when I was tramping around the UK in an artic,my gov"ner would only fit a quality brand tyre to the front axle.
    He fitted a remix to the drive axle,and whatever was going spare around the yard to the second steer or lift axle.
    He/we,had no control over tyres fitted to the third party trailers we towed.

The only failures I suffered were to trailer tyres.
    Believe it or not,the only indication of a failed tyre on a 13.5m tri axle trailer was the smoke in the mirrors...at night it was impossible to know that a tyre had failed.

Not quite the same thing as a rear tyre failing on your family car!
    2000 S Type manual(now sold and replaced with a Transit Connect that ate it's engine in Spain and replaced with another Connect known as the Micro Stealth Camper) BMW E30 cabbie in the very rare neon green colour and a Nissan Micra for 'er indoors!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for digging Neil, I thought wrongly that they are imports to the EU.

Close them? I won't buy their products for sure.

Testing a sample is not sufficient, who knows what old tyre is recycled?

And, is the old tyre over 10 years old, or 7 years, as some have suggested the replacement age?

Now we know where some worn tyres end up.

There are other brand-new tyres for similar tyres for those who want to fit cheap tyres on a slow low-risk car.

But on a Merc? Absurd. I don't risk myself or my family, would you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Testing a sample is not sufficient, who knows what old tyre is recycled?
    I expect there are guidelines and technologies to help select suitable casings. Legislation and regulations in these areas are fairly strict these days but I don't know.

And, is the old tyre over 10 years old, or 7 years, as some have suggested the replacement age?
    The tread definitely hardens too much to be of any use, but the casing life is evidently much longer. Can one retread a remould

But on a Merc? Absurd. I don't risk myself or my family, would you?
    Too many used cars are sold with a new set of some no-name tyre or other. Too many buyers don't notice or don't care
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 17k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 12k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

9. Likes S-Type Owner liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, I'm in agreement with you Neil.

As you've seen, the previous owner fitted them to our C180 and I'm pretty certain s/he would not have known they are remoulds, s/he is an invalid (we didn't meet the owner, we bought it from his/her friend who was helping) and would rely on a mechie or tyre dealer to fit "cheap" tyres, almost all Cypriots go for cheapest.

I'm now wondering how much checking for standards is done for manufacturers in the EU.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, Richard, but if I remember correctly, those were very thick and had recut treads, not wrap-around stick-ons, and truck and bus tyres used to be too.

But those were designed that way.
    Sorry Jim but aircraft tyre treads are NOT recut but remoulds are common, the only aircraft I know which wasn't run using remoulds was Concorde but anything else, no problem. However, you need to understand that they are inspected very thoroughly before they are sent for remoulding and then again at the manufacturer's plant. Airlines don't want tyres that have been run under-inflated or run over edges back the risk is too great so they are scrapped. Also the life of an aircraft tyre is very different from that of a car tyre. Aircraft tyres aren't worn out by distance but by landings so a third remould on a 737 may be only a few years old.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast