Thread: Where to find the chassis number on XK-120

Post Thanks / Like

Question Where to find the chassis number on XK-120

Hello Forum,

I've got a 1954 Jag XK-120 DHC that's spent the last forty years in a barn. We've power washed as best we could in the remote location, but can't seem to locate the chassis number, which I need to get a VIN and thus a new title. The Moss Motors site says, "
    Stamped on chassis left-hand side member bracket to rear of exhaust down pipes
    ". Well, this sounds a little like British English, but I'm assuming that what they mean by "left-hand" and "rear" are the same as what I mean by those terms, however, there are a few things down there that could be described as a "bracket" and they're all covered with crud, even after the power wash. Am I looking for the number on the top of the chassis, or on the side, or even the bottom? Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello 54 Jag,

the identity plate gives the chassis number, and is usually riveted on the inner wing or bulkhead on Jaguars of that era. Its a brass plate, painted black with the relevant information stamped on it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	identity plate.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	32134

If you are very unlucky you may just find four rivet holes where it was fixed? On my MK 2 the body number is stamped on the front slam panel where the bonned closes. If you can find any such number contact :- https://www.jaguarheritage.com/archi.../certificates/ who should be able to help you.

Alec
    2004 2.5 X Type Estate, MK 2 3.8 (Long term restoration), 2.5 P.I. Triumph saloon, 564 Hymer motorhome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Seem to remember seeing VIN/Chassis # stamped on Cross members below the engine.
    Jaguar Keys & Remotes
    Castle Locks
    196 London Rd
    Hadleigh
    Essex
    SS7 2PD

07792 552423
    01702 555557
    castle.locks@btinternet.com