Thread: Just bought a dual action orbital polisher.....help on its use pls.

Post Thanks / Like

Just bought a dual action orbital polisher.....help on its use pls.

My old (2006) S type has a few shallow scratches (and a couple of deeper ones) I thought about having it professionally polished. The hem, careful Yorkshireman came out and I reasoned that for less than the price they would charge I could buy my own polisher.
    I won't be doing a machine polish very often (probably only once), so I wasn't going to splash out on a top of the line one. I looked around and decided one from Argos at £50 ish. would fit the bill.

If you have any suggestions as to the type of compounds, polishes etc. that are good to use, I would be well pleased.

Thanks..................................IP

Last edited by Irish Pappy; 02-11-19 at 13:40. Reason: add image
    2006 3.0Ltr. S type ..... Radiance Red Metallic, Chrome grille complete with Red and Black S Type Growler badge, fully loaded.
    Hands free smartphone connected successfully thanks to members of the forum!

2. Likes Ashanti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    All my compounds are from Meguiars, my personal choice.

Speed settings and pressure are important. Higher speeds for compounds and lower speeds for polish and waxes. Steady as you go and you’ll quickly get the hang of it.
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

4. Likes payno, Ashanti, Irish Pappy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Plenty of videos online to give you some ideas. Maybe to start out try some Autoglym SRP with a black polishing pad, as it has minimal cutting power so unlikely to do any huge damage.
    3.0D 2012 (62) XF-S Premium Luxury IRR
    Previous: 3.0D 2009 (59) XF Luxury, 2002 (52) S Type 3.0 S

6. Thanks Irish Pappy thanked for this post
    Likes Ashanti liked this post