Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XKR 2011 - Brake Pads Warning

Post Thanks / Like

XKR 2011 - Brake Pads Warning

Ok the car has done 22k - around 12k in my hands and perhaps some "enthusuastic" driving - would you expect pads to last for longer than 22k though?

Called local (non Jaguar) garage today - circa 260 if fronts; 190 for rears.

The warning on the dashboard just says pads are low - is there any way of determining if it's front or rears (my money's on them being fronts oif course) within the systems inside the car or does it require physical inspection?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    When I got mine, it had about 14k on it and the front pads were quite worn. So, maybe 22k is not bad

As with any other normal brakes, if you can see the pads, you can see how much pad is left but the inner pads are always hard to see without taking stuff apart.

Rear pads are ATE and should cost about 40-50 Pounds (C2D3792 (FF) ATE 13.0460-7255.2 (FF)). The front ones are Jurid and use a high-friction compound. There doesn't seem to be a better road pad out there (C2D3801 (GG) T2R7248(GG), 573150JC (GG),). Many aftermarket pads are a lot lower rated. I tried TRW pads on the front but they were not a patch on the originals so they were swapped out for originals quite quickly.
    Last edited by Neilr; 04-11-19 at 13:32.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 17k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 12k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    My money is on the rears they wear faster than fronts I have replaced the rears three times and still on the original front pads.
    Wear Indicator rear N/S front O/S
    John
    Last edited by M100 TWO; 04-11-19 at 12:23.

4. Likes OCD-Jagman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agree that pagid/jurid/ate will give the best bite and stopping power in most situations, mainly due to the higher metal content of those pads, which will (naturally) lead to greater disc wear

I don't drive in a spirited way and ebc pads lasted 70k miles on my X100, purely as I coast/engine brake up to roundabouts/lights/motorway tailbacks and hardly use my brakes, in fact I don't remember having to do an emergency stop in the last 25yrs

When I had my Wortec discs fitted to my X150 I went for ebc red, yep they'll not have the braking coefficient grade of those mentioned in the first sentence, but they'll defo not wear the discs as fast (important a those cost me over £2k). Also the minimal brake dust on a white car with (mostly) black alloys is appreciated.

When they were changed the old discs had a lip and the front pads were more worn that the rears, but not much in it

At my MOT last month the tester said that the pads (ebc) and discs (wortec) had no discernible wear, but I've only put 5k miles on them.

I paid £150 for both front and rear redstuff pads, but think normally they are closer to £250
    2014 XK Dynamic R Coupe
    Audi A6/C6 quattro
    Toyota C-HR Hybrid

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by M100 TWO View Post
    My money is on the rears they wear faster than fronts I have replaced the rears three times and still on the original front pads.
    Wear Indicator rear N/S front O/S
    John
    Was going to say just that.
    Got to be the rears.
    When you buy a Jag, you pay for the engine.
    My other ride is the Mrs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCD-Jagman View Post
    Was going to say just that.
    Got to be the rears.
    Fully agree.

When I bought my last XKR it had just over 12,000 miles on the clock and when I sold it, there were 52,500 miles on the clock and the only pads I had changed were the rear ones.

IIRC they went at about 27,000 miles.
    If you're going to be a Bear, be a Grizzly

03 X-Type Indianapolis (3.0 AWD)
    54 4.2 XKR (X100)
    11 5.0 XKR (X150)
    64 5.0 XKR-S (X150)

Post Thanks / Like
    The rear pads are supposedly a little soft to match the workings of the automatic parking brake but they are also much cheaper than the fronts. It may be likely to be the rears but it would be wise to check them all. It could, for example, be a sticking front caliper resulting in extra wear!
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 17k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 12k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    So thought I'd just check with Jaguar - they quoted for F&R combined £1,221 - apparently for my reg these are "carbon ceramic" pads? Does that make sense?

Oh and how many miles would I be safe to use the car after the brake pads warning is first displayed?

thanks all

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy0505 View Post
    So thought I'd just check with Jaguar - they quoted for F&R combined £1,221 - apparently for my reg these are "carbon ceramic" pads? Does that make sense?

Oh and how many miles would I be safe to use the car after the brake pads warning is first displayed?

thanks all
    Only the XKR-S GT had carbon ceramic brakes and they are a lot more expensive than a thousand quid but they are also supposed to last much much longer than traditional brakes.

£1,221 for front and rear pads and discs or just pads?

Part numbers:

C2D3801/T2R7248 - Front pads
    C2D3792 - Rear pads
    C2P12622 - Front discs
    C2D3792 - Rear discs
    C2P12722 - Front sensor cable
    C2D2976 - Rear sensor cable

I have a set of these OE as spares and I probably didn't pay much more than 300 Pounds all in delivered to Germany, so you should be able to get the job done for 600 or so, I would have hoped if you source the parts and find someone to fit them.

You should be OK for a couple thousand miles if you are driving normally.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would ask for an itemised breakdown for the price they are quoting, and post on here for an unbiased opinion

John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast