Thread: 2.1 petrol inlet manifold bolts.

Post Thanks / Like

2.1 petrol inlet manifold bolts.

Hi all change the plugs last weekend on my 04 x type on putting the manifold back on one of the bolts is just spinning and not getting tight. Could any one tell me if the tread on the bolts are proned to strip or the tread that the bolt goes into. Hope someone can help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Certainly sounds like the thread is stripped,most likely in the alloy head,rather than the steel bolt.

Have you been able to extract the bolt to examine it?
    2000 S Type manual(now sold and replaced with a Transit Connect that ate it's engine in Spain and replaced with another Connect known as the Micro Stealth Camper) BMW E30 cabbie in the very rare neon green colour and a Nissan Micra for 'er indoors!

Post Thanks / Like
    I seem to remember reading about this when I changed the plugs on my X Type a few years back - I was lucky the bolts on my car went back OK. I think although I might be wrong, that it was the thread in the manifold that starts to spin when you try to tighten the bolt. Look in the X Type section and use the search there was quite a bit about changing plugs I seem to recall and there may be something about the problem you are experiencing.
    Jaguar XF Luxury 3.0 V6 petrol, in Claret Red with barley leather, Venus alloys

previously Jaguar X Type 2.1 V6. Gone but not forgotton

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to remove and inspect the bolt first to see what's stripped.

Sometimes the bolt thread is worn down and a new bolt with Loctite thread lock, only tightened gently to bite, is enough.

If it is the cylinder head thread and not the bolt, a good mechie can fit a helicoil fairly easily.

It's a slug with internal and external threads, or sometimes a coil, and it screws into the cylinder head after drilling the hole to fit and the bolt screws into it.

I wouldn't attempt it as a DIY if you haven't done it before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for your advice. Will check it the weekend. The car is running fine so I won't tempt fate lol. My first jag and I'm impressed. By the way will a full size alloy fit in the wheel well? I've got the dreaded space saver.