Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Larini exhaust for my XKR 5.0

Post Thanks / Like

Larini exhaust for my XKR 5.0

After much deliberation and very helpful advice from the members on this forum (particularly 8bit, thank you sir), I have decided to buy a Larini performance exhaust backbox for my XKR 5.0. https://www.larinisystems.com/collec...mbly-quad-tips

The exhaust had to be made to order, so there was a 6 week lead time and the exhaust finally arrived last week. I have now booked the XKR in to have the exhaust fitted by Tom Lenthall in Wokingham on Monday 11th November.

Do we imagine it will be quite straight forward to have the exhaust fitted? Is there anything I should ask the garage about regarding the fitting?

I asked what they would do regarding the vacuum system that operates the active exhaust flaps and they said they would plug the hoses and arrange for the hoses to be held out of the way. I assume I should also leave fuse 19 out so that the system does not try to operate non-existent vacuum pumps.

I will endeavour to use the small Sony action camera I have to record a journey in the car over the weekend so I have a reference of how the car sounds from inside the cabin with the stock exhaust. I will then do the same journey once the Larini is fitted by way of a comparison.

Cheers,
    Steve
    Current: Jaguar XKR 5.0 (2012)
    Previous: BMW E46 M3 Coupe, BMW E36 M3 Evo, Ford Mondeo ST24, Yamaha R1.
    My music: https://soundcloud.com/bass2rez/tracks

2. Thanks MarkyM thanked for this post
    Likes joc64, Peterv liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're welcome, sure you'll enjoy it

It's not hard to swap the back box, my mate and I did the Elite one on my first XKR with the rear wheels up on small ramps, took about an hour. We were lucky that that one came off pretty easily though, sometimes they need a bit of heat, Plusgas, cutting, brute force or a combination thereof. We did the Adamesh mid section on my current car in a similar fashion but that was a bit more involved. Any competent garage would do a back box swap in an hour tops I would think.

Regards the vacuum pipes, that's exactly what I did; I found a few small trim studs in a box of fittings and fasteners in the garage, essentially plastic, push-fit screw-shaped things, these just happened to be a reasonably snug fit in the end of the hoses and the heads were about the same diameter as the outside of the pipe. I put a cable tie around the end of each though, to make sure they didn't fall out later, and cable-tied each hose up out of the way, to the exhaust hangers on the car I think.

Looking forward to the video.
    Current: 2009 XKR 5.0
    Previous: 2008 XKR 4.2

I take photos of cars! Find me on Facebook, Instagram and Flickr.

4. Likes bass2rez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As of yesterday, I have now had the Larini backbox fitted to my XKR by Tom Lenthall in Wokingham. I was surprised to get a call from the garage to say that the exhaust "was not a good fit" and that some work would be required to get it to fit properly. It seems the two backbox exit pipes were welded to the backbox at the wrong angle, so they interfered with the underside of the car and prevented the tail pipes being installed. Rather than have the hassle of having the stock exhaust put back on and messing about sending the exhaust back to Larini, I decided to let the garage do the required modification to get the exhaust to fit. It cost around an extra £120 for this work.

The backbox is now nicely fitted and my first reaction is that I am rather underwhelmed by it. It is not much louder than the stock exhaust. I have not had much of a chance to drive it far with the new backbox, but I'm sure it's actually a tiny bit quieter when at low revs, the stock exhaust used to have a rumble at about 1,500 rpm which is no longer heard. At higher revs, the exhaust has a different sound, but I'm not sure it's any louder.

I'm quite surprised at this, as adding a new backbox to my E46 M3 made a significant difference, I expected much the same with my XKR.

I know 8bit has a different mid-section exhaust, as described above. Does the standard XKR mid-section have some silencing on it, and is this the reason why the new backbox has not made the car much louder?

I would be most grateful of some thoughts on how I can get my XKR to sound a bit more menacing, as a new backbox does not seem to have achieved the desired results.

Thanks,
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a shame, sorry to hear about the quality issues and the lack of extra noise.

Standard XKR (4.2 and 5.0) have two small silencers (resonators) in the mid section as standard. When I had my 4.2, I changed that section first (Spires stage 1, no silencers and a x-over instead) and it made a bit of difference - definitely louder but not seriously louder. When I later did the back box it got a lot louder. So far on my 5.0 I've done only the mid section and I would say it made less difference than the same thing on the 4.2, even with fuse 19 out.

I would expect that changing the back box should make quite a large difference but bear in mind if it's a brand new part then the sound will change as it builds up a layer of soot inside the pipes - in my experience the tone got a little deeper and a bit louder than when it was new.

Can you post video/sound clips? We won't be able to tell the difference in volume really but the difference in tone will be apparent.

7. Thanks bass2rez thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi 8bit, thanks for your reply.

I did make a video recording of the stock exhaust and I will make an equivalent video over the same short route and post these up by way of comparison.

Do you think it may be the case that if I also change the mid-section, I might get the fuller sound that I am hoping for? I will not rush into this though, I need to give it a bit of time to adjust and get used to things. I do need to make sure I go back ASAP and collect the stock exhaust, as I may find I wish to switch back to stock again.

With regard to the stock exhaust seeming louder at very low revs, could it be the case that with the stock exhaust with fuse 19 removed, the two outer pipes were effectively "straight through" exhausts, whereas the new Larini has some sound deadening in all pipes, leading to losing the low down growl that i was previously hearing, but only heard when fuse 19 was removed.

Thanks,
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Hard to say. Certainly on my 5.0 with the standard back box, upgrading the mid section made a fairly small difference so on the strength of that I wouldn't want to suggest that you'd get the result you're looking for by spending further money in that regard. It's a shame you and I aren't based closer together, I'd happily have said to come to my place and we could try your Larini box on my car with the upgraded mid section so you could hear it.

It might be worth having a chat with Larini, certainly to find out whether they engineer their products to increase volume and see if they can tell why yours hasn't panned out like that. Certainly when I fitted the EAPJ box on my 4.2, the change in volume was very noticeable but again, it took a few hundred miles before it reached full volume.

10. Thanks bass2rez thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for your reply, 8bit. Can I please ask, do you run with fuse 19 removed? If you do, and you have a non-silenced mid-section, then you are close to testing my theory regarding the combination of custom mid-section and performance exhaust.

As far as I can determine, the stock backbox with fuse 19 removed has two of the four tailpipes as a "straight-through" exhaust. So, that combined with a custom non-silenced mid-section should sound very nice indeed. It is a shame we are at opposite ends of the country.

I have now mentioned to Larini regarding the difficulty in fitting the exhaust and they have asked to speak to Tom Lenthall garage and for some photos. I will also mention about the backbox being quieter than expected.

I spent the evening extracting the audio from my on-board video, editing it down to a few key sections of my journey and have placed it here: https://soundcloud.com/bass2rez/mah00109-edit2. It is hard to hear the exhaust noise over the tyre noise, but then that is the issue I'm trying to redress! I will record and post the Larini sound as soon as I can for comparison.

Thanks,
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, sorry to hear not a great experience.

Let me get this straight, the exhaust was manufactured incorrectly by a UK company and you had to pay extra to have it modified, to me that sounds insane.

As mentioned before my car had a modified exhaust from the factory with no backbox whatsoever, the extras bills says 'Performance Exhaust', my local Indy says it also has an H pipe too which is also non standard. Starting it and revving with a stock exhausted(?) 5.0 the owner had to agree mine is a LOT louder, whether it's better is in the eye of...

But then I didn't know about the mods when I bought it...btw did they ship your old box back to you? If so you should be able to recover some of the cost?
    2014 XK Dynamic R Coupe
    Audi A6/C6 quattro
    Toyota C-HR Hybrid

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Marky,

I do not know where the exhaust was manufactured, but it is a UK based company I bought from, and yes, the fitting garage had to modify it to fit at extra cost. I should add that the fitting garage was my own choice, it has nothing to do with Larini and the two are completely separate.

I could have asked for the stock exhaust put back on and returned the Larini, but then there would have been the expense of having the stock exhaust fitted back again and shipping the new exhaust back, the chance it still would not have fitted, as I assume they have no XKR to test the fitment on. All in all, I decided to let the garage make it fit. It cost £120 extra, which in the grand scale of things is acceptable to me to have what I thought I wanted. At this point, I did not know I would also be unhappy with the sound output.

Your car literally sounds just what I want, but how to determine exactly what is (or is not) fitted to it? Are you sure it was modified from the factory, as in supplied like that from Jaguar? I wonder if it is the system fitted to the XKR-S or XKR-S GT? I do not know what that would be though.

I am to collect the original backbox from the garage on Saturday in my wife's Mondeo, it would not fit in the back of the XKR (subject of another of my previous posts).

If anything, judging by the way I feel right now, I'm more likely to put the stock exhaust back on and recover the costs by selling the new Larini.

Cheers,
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post
    Let me get this straight, the exhaust was manufactured incorrectly by a UK company and you had to pay extra to have it modified, to me that sounds insane.
    Coming from you, who spent £2500 on a pair of brake discs?

You did remind me of one thing though. When my friend and I were fitting the upgraded mid section on my 5.0, we couldn't resist firing the car up a couple of times along the way. With no back box at all (i.e. just the mid section after the cats, back box not even on the car) it was *loud*, much louder than stock. With nothing at all after the cats it was louder than with the stock mid section. It took us a while to get the mid section on so I can't remember how much difference there was between the two mid sections without a back box on.

Certainly though, the difference between stock exhaust and with just the back box missing was significant to put it mildly so there's definitely scope for a back box to make a big difference. I suspect Larini maybe just build theirs to be quieter than some others do.

@Steve, to your earlier post, it's very hard to say how different that sound is compared to my own car. Can you shoot a quick video clip from outside, startup and rev it a little? I have removed fuse 19, to be honest I didn't feel like that made very much difference really. I'm not sure I'd say the standard box with fuse 19 out is "straight through" exactly though, and certainly the difference between that and the EAPJ back box on my old car was night and day.

One other thing worth mentioning, I'm certain that the 5.0 cars are significantly louder than the 4.2s even assuming both are totally standard. I sold the old Spires mid section to a local chap with a 4.2 X150 XKR convertible. He came to pick it up one day while I was out washing my (then) new 5.0 which was totally standard at the time. I didn't even hear him pull up outside my house. I wonder if the internals of the standard 5.0 XKR exhausts are engineered to be louder from the outset than the 4.2 items were.

I'd wait and see what Larini say, hopefully they can shed some light on this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast