Thread: illegible number plates

Post Thanks / Like

illegible number plates

I've noticed a number of cars recently, usually sporty german marques, with what would appear to be illegal number plates.

They appear to be black numerals on a dark grey background with some sort of frosting which makes it hard to make out the details, certainly non reflective.

As they are new(ish) cars then I assume the regulations which relate to number plates are being flouted, presumably to attempt to evade ANPR and speed cameras.

Am I right in thinking cars have to have black on white at the front and black on yellow at the back unless ancient when silver on black is allowed?

Anyone else seen this?
    XF MY15.5 3.0d S Portfolio Stratus Grey with Ivory interior.

Post Thanks / Like
    So far as I am aware the black on reflective yellow (to a standard letter size and spacing) rear and black on white front were introduced in 1968 on original "F" plate. All cars registered after that date HAVE to use the format, even if on an older "private" plate. You see cars with plates after that on silver on black plates, which are illegal, as are dodgy spacings, non regulation letter fonts, non regulation letter size. The fuzz do not seem to care as these cars are still seen, and they swear that their ANPR can pick up any plate, even the ones obscured by a layer of winter muck. I'm sure someone can access the legislation.
    Previous 1: Silver 2.5 Auto SE grey leather interior
    Previous 2: Topaz (Pale Gold) 3.0 Auto SE with cream leather
    Current since Oct 15: Gunmetal 2.5 Auto SE with black leather interior 17in wheels heated seats private plate (tasty!)
    ex-Motorcycle: Aprilia RST 1000 V twin sports tourer
    Current 2 wheels: Vespa Sprint 125 (hey, its light, I can get it on and off the stand, and it doesn't try to kill me! Its also a whole lot of fun!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Your confidence in us is appreciated, doc!

Lazy git!

Source:
    https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number...-number-plates

In brief:

Rules for number plates

The number plates on your vehicle must:

- be made from a reflective material

- display black characters on a white background (front plate)

- display black characters on a yellow background (rear plate)

- not have a background pattern

Characters on a number plate can be 3D.

If you ride a motorbike or motor tricycle

Motorcycles and motor tricycles registered on or after 1 September 2001 must only display a number plate at the rear of the vehicle.

If you ride a motorbike or motor tricycle registered before 1 September 2001 you can also display a number plate at the front, but you do not have to.

Motorcycle and motor tricycle number plate numbers should be on 2 lines.

Towing a trailer

Your trailer must display the same number plate as the vehicle you’re towing it with. If you’re towing more than one trailer, the number plate must be fixed to the trailer at the back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DrFutura View Post
    So far as I am aware the black on reflective yellow (to a standard letter size and spacing) rear and black on white front were introduced in 1968 on original "F" plate. All cars registered after that date HAVE to use the format, even if on an older "private" plate. You see cars with plates after that on silver on black plates, which are illegal, as are dodgy spacings, non regulation letter fonts, non regulation letter size. The fuzz do not seem to care as these cars are still seen, and they swear that their ANPR can pick up any plate, even the ones obscured by a layer of winter muck. I'm sure someone can access the legislation.
    If the vehicle was manufactured before 1 January 1975, then it is eligible to display a traditional black and silver number plate. This date is fixed and does not roll over each year, so only if the vehicle was manufactured after this date, is it illegal to display this type of number plate.

https://classicmotorhub.com/blog/ask...number-plates/
    "I know I'm a pessimist because my glass is always half empty...even when it's full".

2009 X-Type 2.2D Sovereign - Indigo Blue with Ivory Leather

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarsmate View Post
    I've noticed a number of cars recently, usually sporty german marques, with what would appear to be illegal number plates.

They appear to be black numerals on a dark grey background with some sort of frosting which makes it hard to make out the details, certainly non reflective.

As they are new(ish) cars then I assume the regulations which relate to number plates are being flouted, presumably to attempt to evade ANPR and speed cameras.

Am I right in thinking cars have to have black on white at the front and black on yellow at the back unless ancient when silver on black is allowed?

Anyone else seen this?
    Number plates are supplied with an opaque plastic film over them. These 'fuzzy' plates you are seeing are ones that haven't had the film removed.
    2017 XE Portfolio 180PS AWD in Santorini Black with climate pack (I don't scrape!) panoramic roof, privacy glass and 19" style 1015 wheels (that I'd happily swap for a nice set of 18" 5 spokes. Anyone?)

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw a car last night with illuminated plates a small Peugeot of some description as I was crossing a road, all characters and a border with some kind of LEDs. Actually couldn’t believe what I was seeing...
    XJ X351 5.0 V8 Portfolio, Black 2011 now on 20k
    https://www.jaguarforum.com/show-thread.php?t=111207
    Range Rover Vogue, 4.2 V8 Supercharged, Grey '08 now on 85k
    http://bit.ly/2kB60lW

Previously

XJ X358 2.7Tdvi Sovereign, Vapour Grey '08 70k
    http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=98612
    X Type Sport, 3.0 V6, Racing Green '03 plate 80k.
    http://www.jaguarforum.co.uk/f69/my-3-0-x-48345.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RWD3M View Post
    Number plates are supplied with an opaque plastic film over them. These 'fuzzy' plates you are seeing are ones that haven't had the film removed.
    I put my hand up to this! I had a 'fuzzy' number plate on the tip-run trailer for over a year before a visiting son pointed out the protective blue film was still on it.
    X260 Portfolio 250PS Estate.

8. Likes RWD3M liked this post