Thread: Jaguar XE 2.0 R-Sport 163 Slipping Clutch

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Jaguar XE 2.0 R-Sport 163 Slipping Clutch

I have been a member of the forum for sometime, since having my first X-type, progressing through the second X-Type, adding a 3.0 XF Portfolio Sport, and now swapping my X-Type for an XE.

I have had the XE nearly 3 months, I bought it with fairly high mileage of 92,000, but as it is just my workhorse I didn't mind. The price was very good, and too good a chance to miss. When I test drove it the clutch seemed high, but knowing a friendly mechanic, wasn't too bothered as is a case of just get it replaced when the time comes. Well in the past 3 months I have done 10,000 miles, trouble free, but now as expected the clutch has started to slip in 3rd gear, but only under harsh acceleration, accompanied with that horrible burning smell.

So the question is, has anybody had their clutch replaced yet, if so, where? And how much? I am looking for a sensible price, and not what the local stealer has quoted. Just to supply the clutch, and DMF if required is £1,500.00, and if they fit it, an all in price (if DMF needed) of around £2,300!!!!!

So any input where I can get a clutch from for less than the price of a replacement car would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    2008 - Jaguar X-Type - 2.2D - Sovereign - Officially Sovereign Too - Has all the toys, and extras including the piping on the seats and head restraints...

Post Thanks / Like
    What has your friendly mechanic said?

I used a local (to me) independent for both clutch changes (and one DMF) on my X Type and as I recall I paid about £450 all in for the clutch change at around 100k miles and about £800 for the DMF + Clutch change at around 200k. This was less than half what I'd been quoted by Jaguar.
    2017 XE Portfolio 180PS AWD in Santorini Black with climate pack (I don't scrape!) panoramic roof, privacy glass and 19" style 1015 wheels (that I'd happily swap for a nice set of 18" 5 spokes. Anyone?)

Post Thanks / Like
    A somewhat sparse (of info), quote from the Jaguar main agent. Have they added in VAT to make the final £2300 ? VAT is 20%, or adds one fifth to the final total. Their £1500 for parts presumably includes the DMF, and these are not cheap ! However, do you need one ?

The bottom line is that the job is not going to be cheap, and you're going to have to spend many hundreds of pounds if the DMF is knackered. A quick look on the internet shows several suppliers of "clutch kits" which from the photos includes the DMF, presumably on the basis that, like replacing water pumps when doing a cam-belt, is precautionary.

My own view is that with the car now on 100k miles, you should fit the whole kit.
    Fleet manager (!!) of: -
    XE Portfolio 180 AWD 2017
    VW New Beetle 2009
    MG Midget 1500 1977
    MG TF 135 2010