Thread: Parking brake wont release

Post Thanks / Like

Parking brake wont release

I am getting error msg on dash saying parking brake can't release and attempting to drive the car, the right rear wheel is dragging. What is the culprit and can I replace it? 2005 S-Type w/4.2L V-8. Help!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably the brake cable is rusted and jamming.

You need to take the rear wheels off and check and lubricate or replace the cables and check the callipers aren't rusted up.

Is it something you can do yourself?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to say this does not sound good. The parkbrake operates both sides and since one side appears to be better than the other, I agree that the RHS caliper and cable be checked over, remember you will need a piston wind-back tool.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the misfortune to have my parking brake lock on a good while ago. At the time I knew nothing of the system and had to trailer the vehicle to an auto electrician to get fixed.

To get you away, and release the brake, try the following...............

Remove the trim on the RH. side of the boot to reveal the Parking Brake Module.
    There are two plugs that attach to the bottom of the module, disconnect the LH. (Grey) one.

Find pins 7 & 14 they should have, in 7, Green/White wire and in 14 Red/White wire.
    These wires go direct to the motor that works the parking brake and are thicker than all other wires in the plug.

Attach wires to the + & - poles on the battery and put these wires on plug connections 7&14.
    You should be able to hear the motor operating. If not swap the wires over (reverse polarity) and hopefully the motor will now operate and release the brake.

I now keep a kit in the boot consisting of a pair of wires c/w crocodile clips to attach to the battery just in case I get caught again.

If you choose to try the above procedure it is of course at your own risk, but don't worry it only takes a couple of minutes.

Good Luck, let us know how you get on, hope it gets you mobile...............................IP
    2006 3.0Ltr. S type ..... Radiance Red Metallic, Chrome grille complete with Red and Black S Type Growler badge, fully loaded.
    Hands free smartphone connected successfully thanks to members of the forum!

5. Thanks Jimbov8 thanked for this post
    Likes Jimbov8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here are drawings that may make things a bit clearer.

Hope it helps............................................. ...IP

post a picture
    2006 3.0Ltr. S type ..... Radiance Red Metallic, Chrome grille complete with Red and Black S Type Growler badge, fully loaded.
    Hands free smartphone connected successfully thanks to members of the forum!

7. Thanks Jimbov8 thanked for this post
    Likes Jimbov8, S-Type Owner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Always an 8mm ring spanner in my car, ready for such eventualities. Lift the boot carpet, disconnect the earth lead from the battery, give it 10 minutes and reconnect. You’ll need to reset the parking brake by simultaneously applying the foot brake and applying the parking brake, but the dashboard will guide you on the process. Just make sure you’ve got the radio code first of all. It’s a short term fix to probably an underlying problem, but it should get you going.
    2007 S-Type 2.7D in Liquid Silver.
    VIN 87N805**

Post Thanks / Like
    While I still had my S-Type 2.7 2007, I used to get a parkbrake fault on average once a day. Nothing wrong with the mechanicals, all to do withe the electrics. The tip shown my by the RAC (2nd call-out) was to unplug both the connector plugs under the Parking Brake module, count to 30, and plug them back in. This reset the module, then I had to reset the parking brake as guided by the dashboard messages. I got the unplug pause down to 5 secs (handy when it's raining, as it usually was when the fault appeared).
    Now: 2017 XE R-Sport 25T 18MY in Caesium Blue
    Previous: For 8 years, 2007 S-Type 2.7 Spirit in silver

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Roytonian View Post
    Always an 8mm ring spanner in my car, ready for such eventualities. Lift the boot carpet, disconnect the earth lead from the battery, give it 10 minutes and reconnect. You’ll need to reset the parking brake by simultaneously applying the foot brake and applying the parking brake, but the dashboard will guide you on the process. Just make sure you’ve got the radio code first of all. It’s a short term fix to probably an underlying problem, but it should get you going.
    Dont worry about the radio code - just press the Next >> & A.MEM & PTY button at the same time and the radio code question will dissapear. Hooray for security codes, ahem.