Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dipped headlights dangerously dim

Post Thanks / Like

Dipped headlights dangerously dim

The onset of winter and a few trips down pitch black country lanes has reminded me that the dipped headlights on my car are simply not fit for purpose (at least with my eyesight at any rate). Full beam is fine, however.

Standard bulbs are fitted in accordance with the owners manual.

What can I do to brighten my view? Will the existing infrastructure support a better bulb, and if so what type/brand would you recommend?

Are new headlight units a way forward if the current setup offers limited or no scope for improvement?

Post Thanks / Like
    Back in the summer I noticed the polycarbenate lenses were starting to go cloudy so removed the units and gave them a polish. Whilst out fitted a new set of headlight adjusters, and fit Osram Night Breakers, they have made an improvement, they will never turn night into day, but you can see where you are going.
    2007 x type 2.2d S 6 speed, 146,000 and climbing.
    And no warning lights

3. Thanks twocups thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    A controversial solution (there are many threads on here discussing this very topic) is to fit HID bulbs. They work quite well in projector lamps as they won't dazzle oncoming drivers in this configuration and they do make a huge difference.

Before the tirade, yes, I know they should fail an MoT, and may have insurance implications (though I'm not aware of anyone who ever had an insurance claim denied because they had replaced headlight bulbs with HiD's), but I had (still have) them fitted to my X Type and my MoT man is sufficiently understanding of my ability to fit the correct bulbs for the MoT and replace them immediately afterwards.

I understand that you could replace the complete units with OEM HiD's but to convert properly I believe is quite an undertaking, that is if you can find all the parts.

A good point about the lenses Stephen, important that you keep them clean too. I was surprised at how much difference a regular wipe over made!
    2017 XE Portfolio 180PS AWD in Santorini Black with climate pack (I don't scrape!) panoramic roof, privacy glass and 19" style 1015 wheels (that I'd happily swap for a nice set of 18" 5 spokes. Anyone?)

5. Thanks twocups thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Odd as it may sound, if it's just a bad lens on the headlamp, I used Arm & Hammer toothpaste to clean mine and it worked a lot better than expected, plus a nice minty smell and no fillings (!)
    2006 X-Type 2.0 SE Diesel Estate: 130,000 miles and climbing!
    Heart of Gold, Nerves of Steel, Knob of Butter.

7. Thanks twocups thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all for the quick and varied replies - just what I needed! Plenty of food for thought.

I see now poor dipped lighting is a regularly reported complaint - so perhaps my night vision isn't as poor as I thought it was!
    2005 X-Type XS LE 2.0D saloon in Zircon Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    My lenses had gone a horrible mat yellow. I bought a de-yellowing kit which returned them to clear and made a difference to the light levels at night. I did notice fragments of headlight adjuster mechanism which has disintegrated, might be worth checking these are still intact.

10. Thanks twocups thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have had my HIDs in for 4 MOT's now, never an issue!!
    2009 2.0D Sovereign Estate 80,000 mls, Ionian blue, Charcoal leather/cream piping & leaper logo on Headrests, Alpine premium sound, Sat nav, CD changer & ACM. 35/55w HID headlights, LED Fogs, LED indicators, EGR blanked. Blue calipers with Jag logo, front/rear Dash cams, Power fold mirrors on lock, Auto DRL/Fog changeover, Projector Puddle lights, Rear ashtray conv to USB/Aux, Andriod computer on touchscreen c/w reverse/front cameras, Twin S/S back boxes, OAP, F & R dimpled/grooved discs.

Post Thanks / Like
    For lenses I used successfully and therefore suggest 'WIPE NEW' Headlight Restore ... includes the all important final UV resistant coating (best done in warmer more clement weather mind) ...

https://www.wipenew.com/wipe-new-headlights/

And for improved dipped headlamp vision 'Osram Cool Blue Intense H1' ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/INTENSE-hea...9152031&sr=8-1

Good luck.
    2005 (55) X-type 2.0d S saloon ~ Zircon/Champagne/Belize.

13. Thanks twocups thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, just to add another point I believe that bulbs should be treated like a service item as they do deteriorate over time. I've just changed the dip bulbs on mine and the difference between the old and the new is quite noticable.
    Also as others have said, keeping the lens clear helps somewhat.

15. Thanks twocups thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have to agree with the cloudy lens theory. My first X Type had awful lights and the lenses had clouded.
    My next X Type was newer and the lenses were clear and the lights were ok.
    Both sets were halogen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast