Thread: MK1 Advice

Post Thanks / Like

MK1 Advice

Hello All! Looking for some advice. Last month I stumbled upon an old barn that was falling down. Turns out the barn belonged to a gentleman named Charlie. Charlie was a master mechanic and loved to restore old cars. Unfortunately, Charlie lost his battle with cancer in 1992. Before Charlie passed away he began working on the 1959 MK1. He prepped the car for paint and applied a primer coat and then the car sat for about 20 years. He also rewired the car, fogged the engine, removed the gas tank, and pulled the interior out. It has some rust. I have all the parts plus a good donor car, if needed.

Do you think the the car is worth trying to save or should I part it out? Any advice is welcome. Thank you in advance for your help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mk1 front.jpg   mk1 driver.jpg   mk1 rear.jpg   mk1 roof.jpg  

2. Likes Peterthejagman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSquid View Post
    Hello All! Looking for some advice. Last month I stumbled upon an old barn that was falling down. Turns out the barn belonged to a gentleman named Charlie. Charlie was a master mechanic and loved to restore old cars. Unfortunately, Charlie lost his battle with cancer in 1992. Before Charlie passed away he began working on the 1959 MK1. He prepped the car for paint and applied a primer coat and then the car sat for about 20 years. He also rewired the car, fogged the engine, removed the gas tank, and pulled the interior out. It has some rust. I have all the parts plus a good donor car, if needed.

Do you think the the car is worth trying to save or should I part it out? Any advice is welcome. Thank you in advance for your help!
    I believe the car is worth saving ....Mark 1 is the original Jaguar fore runner for a lot !...( Mark 2 ....S type 1960s ...And S type modern)...I'm sure Jaguar heritage ...The JEC and JDC and JOC will point you in the right direction ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Good advice! Is the MK1 more valuable then the MK2?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSquid View Post
    Good advice! Is the MK1 more valuable then the MK2?
    In my book I'd say yes all day long !.Everyone prefers an original !...

But maybe that's just me ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello SS,
    even if you can do most of the work yourself it probably will cost more than it will sell for. You will need to redo work already done, especially the paint as primer is porous so it needs to be removed completely to ensure a sound paint job.
    If you like the car for what it is, fine, otherwise sell it to someone who would treasure it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterthejagman View Post
    In my book I'd say yes all day long !.Everyone prefers an original !...
    Bit of a moot point, as the car in the photo above is a Mk 2.
    2000 Jaguar X308 4.0
    1973 Jensen Interceptor Mk III 7.2
    1969 Jensen Interceptor Mk I 6.3

8. Likes rtcosic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SV8Predator View Post
    Bit of a moot point, as the car in the photo above is a Mk 2.
    Are you sure it is an Mark 2? What does the vehicle identification plate tell us? The more I dig in the better the old girl looks. No rust on the frame. The donor car is going to cost me 500 bucks. I think I might go for it! Could be a fantastic project.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vin plate.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    The car in the photo is a Mk2. The Mk1 had a smaller back screen and the window surrounds around the doors were part of the door unlike the Mk2 which had chrome window surrounds which are removable from the door.
    If you apply to the Jaguar Heritage and give them the Chassis and Engine numbers they will tell you the correct make and model, year and month sold, who the first owner was, original colour and Spec of the car when it was built.
    Rob.C.
    1968 Jaguar S Type 3.4 Auto Old English white
    2006 X type SE 2.0d Estate
    1966 Ford Anglia 1760 X flow
    1993 Yamaha FJ1200
    2012 Old English Sheep Dog White and Grey

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking further into the engine number shown on the VIN plate it starts with LA which means the car is a Mk2 3.8 Jaguar. A Mk1 engine would begin with BB BD KE and KF as can be seen here. https://xks.com/files/Jaguar%20Techn...e-early-xj.pdf
    Another difference between the Mk1 and Mk2 is the Mk1 did not have the large vane in the front grill as the Mk2 had.
    Is it worth saving, without doubt. The cost of refurbishing/restoring might cost £10 to £20K but the car if done properly could be worth £30 to £40k on completion.
    Rob.C.
    1968 Jaguar S Type 3.4 Auto Old English white
    2006 X type SE 2.0d Estate
    1966 Ford Anglia 1760 X flow
    1993 Yamaha FJ1200
    2012 Old English Sheep Dog White and Grey

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cass3958 View Post
    The cost of refurbishing/restoring might cost £10 to £20K but the car if done properly could be worth £30 to £40k on completion.
    Yes, £10-20K would get the bodywork and chrome sorted, but add the cost of interior (£10K including woodwork?) and then the mechanicals, and you'be be better buying a lovely, fully sorted car for £30K.

But there is still a value in "for restoration" examples.
    2000 Jaguar X308 4.0
    1973 Jensen Interceptor Mk III 7.2
    1969 Jensen Interceptor Mk I 6.3