Thread: Ingenium Diesels

Post Thanks / Like

Question Ingenium Diesels

I know that with a lot of Jaguar’s Ford Duratorq and PSA derived engines that adding 2-stroke on the tank helped, following the introduction of ultra-low sulfur diesel in 2006. But the in-house Ingenium was developed for present day fuel quality.

Has anyone found any fuel additives to be good and improve performance/clatter/economy? All UK diesel is refined to and meets BS EN590, so the only benefit of premium diesels from BP/Shell etc is the additives they add for you, at a mark up 😕

Do any of the DPF cleaners make much difference btw? I’m guessing it makes sense to turn off auto start/stop on short journeys to benefit the DPF too.

Due to be getting my first diesel, and my first Jaguar, in a week’s time! 😬😃 👇

17MY XF 20d 180PS manual in Carpathian Grey Metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    If the computer wants to do the DPF regeneration it will turn off the Stop/Start function. If this is a new car where you have to add the AdBlue, then there is no real benefit from the expensive diesel fuel.
    Fleet manager (!!) of: -
    XE Portfolio 180 AWD 2017
    VW New Beetle 2009
    MG Midget 1500 1977
    MG TF 135 2010

3. Likes X270 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ad Blu is to reduce NOX emissions.

'Premium' fuel, on the other hand, should hopefully provide a 'cleaner' burn and possibly less likelihood of DPF issues ?
    2003 S-Type 2.5 Sport automatic,platinum silver / warm charcoal (gone)
    2004 Subaru Impreza STi Type UK (now gone as well)
    2006 S-Type R Midnight / warm charcoal
    2015 XE 'S' 3.0 V6 S/Charger Italian racing red / pimento+jet
    2004 XJR Platinum / warm charcoal

5. Likes X270 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I imagine once a regen has started the stop/start is disabled. But before that the engine will still stop/start, because it doesn’t know you’re only driving 6 miles not 60, so it’ll stop the exhaust system heating up as much. AdBlue is squirted into the exhaust gases after the engine, so there might be some benefit to fuel additives in the engine. But as you rightly say, no real benefit in paying over the odds for premium diesels. Just had to know which if any additives actually do any good!
    Last edited by X270; 24-11-19 at 11:30.

17MY XF 20d 180PS manual in Carpathian Grey Metallic