Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Loss of traction?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the original wheels from the car (can't remember the model off the top of my head) in the shed with el-cheapo rubber on them - potentially, I could swap the Pirelli on to them and then whack them on ebay I suppose. Worth a few quid cash to whoever fits the new tyres to swap them over for me maybe?

I'd be severely unhappy if I bought new rubber and it still did it though.
    ex - 2002 X-Type 2.5 V6; 1995 XJ Sport 3.2; 1998 Mercedes C180 Elegance; VW Passat 2.0TDI (140); Audi A4 Avant 2.0TDI; Nissan Qashqai 1.5dCi; Current - 2007 XJ 4.2 V8 Sovereign, and occasionally an Electric Wheelchair!

It wasn't me! A big boy done it and ran away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Could you borrow a set? or just the rears
    Rhubarb, 2003 Super V8 Radiance Red,Sepangs, Iron Fist Velvet Glove. I am not a car guy.

Going back thru time
    Volvo V70 D5-Gary
    Bmw 530d E39
    Bmw 520d touring F11
    Bmw 330d touring F31
    Bmw 330d coupe E92
    Volvo 960 Cd estate, greedy bugger
    Mercedes W124 300d multivalve,loved the chip fat
    Porsche 997 C2
    Honda Civic Cdti
    Astra 1.6
    Jeep Grand Cherokee
    VW Golf GTDi
    Subaru Impreza Turbo Terzo
    Mazda MX6
    Carlton 2.0 Cdi
    Mercedes 190e
    Orion Ghia i
    Audi 90 2.2
    Mini

10 vans and a Jcb 533 105

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure - there is a guy just up the road with a diesel XJ, but I have never spoken with him (this being the SW edge of London, neighbourhoods are not like those I am used to up north!) so I think it is a bit of a stretch to ask to borrow his wheels

I even wondered about chucking some cheap Chinese winter rubber on the spare set of wheels, but that would almost certainly be a waste.
    ex - 2002 X-Type 2.5 V6; 1995 XJ Sport 3.2; 1998 Mercedes C180 Elegance; VW Passat 2.0TDI (140); Audi A4 Avant 2.0TDI; Nissan Qashqai 1.5dCi; Current - 2007 XJ 4.2 V8 Sovereign, and occasionally an Electric Wheelchair!

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve got 285/30 Dunlops (6mm, 32Psi) on a 9.5x20 and I spin the rears easily in damp conditions. Rarely happens in the dry but is possible.

5. Likes fat controller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My apologies in advance if I upset anyone here.....

I have an X350 XJR. I live in the country and the car gets Driven with a capital "D" if you get my meaning. I would say that in standard form, the car is way, way over-tyred and should never struggle for grip under any circumstances. Indeed, I use mine quite a bit for teaching new track-day drivers and it never struggles there, either - even when dispatching 911s or M3s.

This morning was really icy and I'm down to about 2mm on my front tyres - but no traction issues either, except possible when I had all four wheels airborne (happens quite a bit where I am).

So, that leaves two possible issues:-

Driver re-calibration needed, or

something wrong with the vehicle

If I'm honest, I'd favour the first one, but for vehicle checks, you'd really need go no further than a proper 4-wheel alignment to tease out any issues

Sorry

7. Likes Neilr, fat controller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    In my case, it is me stamping on the throttle pedal, trying to leverage a gap at a roundabout, for example.

So yes, the Driver is the cause - but still surprised how quick the tyres are to light up.

9. Likes fat controller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2woody View Post
    My apologies in advance if I upset anyone here.....

I have an X350 XJR. I live in the country and the car gets Driven with a capital "D" if you get my meaning. I would say that in standard form, the car is way, way over-tyred and should never struggle for grip under any circumstances. Indeed, I use mine quite a bit for teaching new track-day drivers and it never struggles there, either - even when dispatching 911s or M3s.

This morning was really icy and I'm down to about 2mm on my front tyres - but no traction issues either, except possible when I had all four wheels airborne (happens quite a bit where I am).

So, that leaves two possible issues:-

Driver re-calibration needed, or

something wrong with the vehicle

If I'm honest, I'd favour the first one, but for vehicle checks, you'd really need go no further than a proper 4-wheel alignment to tease out any issues

Sorry
    Now't to be sorry for

I can fully accept that it happens when I am being that bit more enthusiastic - no problems this morning when it was icy, but then I was being that little bit less enthusiastic - and thereby could be as much down to me as anything else. I was just a little surprised that it happened quite so readily given that I wasn't exactly chucking it about or doing a racing start. I need to get my tame mechanic to have a look at it for me, but I would be surprised if there was anything seriously amiss with the suspension as he only put a year's MOT on it for me five or six weeks ago. Whilst he isn't the sort to go finding loads of faults to generate work, he also doesn't muck about if there is something needing done.

I will get it checked and go from there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had Pirellis on my 3.0 many years ago, awful in the wet, granted they were the P6000 premium ditchfinders...

The Rainsport 3 on my Super V8 seem perfectly fine in the current weather - no issues so far. Obviously, pulling out of junctions with to much throttle will result in wheelspin, but fine under normal driving.
    Super V8, X358 Facelift + Portfolio Vents + Wald Spoiler, Black Cherry with Ivory/Charcoal leather + Black SuedeCloth Headliner, Rear Entertainment, Picnic Trays and Split Rear Reclining Seats. 200 Cell Cats, 2.5 SS Custom X-Pipe Exhaust, JagDroid Headunit, Arden Sportlines with 295 rear tyres - 116,000 miles, 12.89 @ 107.2mph

BMW M6 Coupe V10, Saphire Black on Black Merino Leather, Alcantara Headliner- 26,000 miles

Ex. XJ X350 3.0 Silver/Dove

12. Likes fat controller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, there is definitely something not right this morning on this roundabout https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.43...2!8i6656?hl=en (8.30 or thereabouts in heavy traffic), I had the back end slide out on me; nothing horrendous, but enough and enough that it simply should not have happened. Whilst Mrs C is not a driver, she even commented that I hadn't pulled away onto the roundabout all that quickly (I couldn't even if I had wanted to, as there was traffic in front of me). Traction control light gave a few flicks on and off, so it had noticed the loss of traction, although I am not too sure just how much it intervened. So, I am going to have to be a extra careful until I can get it looked at, but to me it still feels like tyres.

In other news, it seems that it is not only Pirelli's tyres that have turned a bit sh*t - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...20-spread.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Does sound like the tyres have hardened/gone off, unusual if only a couple of years old. Is it just the rears or do the fronts let go early in the corners?
    Alternatively it could just be Pirellis' don't perform well when near freezing, it is warming up in the South East over the next few days it'll be interesting to see if they improve.
    '07 Sovereign X358 in Black with 20" wheels and cream interior. Couldn't resist the glorious V8 although a diesel would have made more sense
    Bought in Oct '18 as an everyday car needing a bit of TLC which it will get over the next few months.

High days and holidays car is a TVR Tuscan which has had a recent chassis off refurb and rebuild and now drives better than ever with new bushes and springs throughout and rebuilt power steering, diff, gearbox and shocks.

15. Likes fat controller liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast