Thread: XKR Alarm Going Off

Post Thanks / Like

XKR Alarm Going Off

Hi All,

Recently picked up a 59 plate XKR but have one recurring problem - the alarm randomly going off!
    This happens as:
    a) when leaving the car, sometimes door still open, key in hand/pocket
    b) when walking away from the car, car locked
    c) approaching the car from a distance

seems to be completely at random, but feels almost like 50% of the time...

Any ideas? As this is doing my nut in.
    Satnav shows no reasons for the alarm going off.

many thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you getting any warnings at all such as bonnet not closed etc? I had an Xj with a faulty switch to the bonnet which would set the alarm off at all times of the day and night. It would be worth checking all door switches?
    2010 XK 5.0 Portfolio in Vapour grey with ivory interior and walnut dash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Penhorsjsy View Post
    Are you getting any warnings at all such as bonnet not closed etc? I had an Xj with a faulty switch to the bonnet which would set the alarm off at all times of the day and night. It would be worth checking all door switches?
    No warnings whatsoever, doesn’t do the double beep unless the doors aren’t properly closed. Note that this has happened both with door still open and car turned off as well as doors closed and locked..

Post Thanks / Like
    First thing I would suggest is the volumetric sensor being at fault. Hooking it up to a code reader may give you a better clue as to what is at fault.
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

Post Thanks / Like
    And also check that your battery is fully charged, if it's the original it most defo could do with changing.
    2014 XK Dynamic R Coupe
    Audi A6/C6 quattro
    Toyota C-HR Hybrid

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbov8 View Post
    First thing I would suggest is the volumetric sensor being at fault. Hooking it up to a code reader may give you a better clue as to what is at fault.
    Any idea if the alarm sensor codes will be picked up by an OBDII reader or only the jaguar specific like icarsoft? Can’t find this info on google...

Another oddity is this happens when single locking (volumetric not set on single push I believe) and also when the car is unlocked e.g just as I sit down

On top of this, pressing unlock on the key does not turn off the alarm. Only hitting the start button or, I think, via the emergency triangle on the key
    Last edited by Jasebta; 02-12-19 at 17:40.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post
    And also check that your battery is fully charged, if it's the original it most defo could do with changing.
    Based on the fact that I don’t get issues reported on the nav this may be a very valid point - perhaps recognising a voltage drop could be triggering the alarm? Wonder why it would happen sometimes on approach to the car or when walking away from the car though..

Post Thanks / Like
    You'll need something Jaguar/Land Rover specific to read any alarm codes. Battery could be one cause. Does it matter which key you have about your person?
    Current: 2009 XKR 5.0
    Previous: 2008 XKR 4.2

I take photos of cars! Find me on Facebook, Instagram and Flickr.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have two fobs, try using the other one for a bit to see if the problem goes away.

I say that because the fob has a panic alarm feature on it which means if you press the red triangle on it for more than 3 seconds or three times within three seconds it will set the alarm off so I wonder if you have a dodgy contact or maybe even inadvertently pressing it in your pocket.

The owners manual says that you can cancel it by pressing the red triangle again for three seconds once the alarm has been sounding for more than five seconds so you could try doing that as well next time it goes off.
    Current Jag: 2010 5.0 XKR (XKR-S X-Pipe, smaller S/C pulley and Tune ~650bhp - 11.567@123.19, max v=126.04!)

Previous Jags: 2007 4.2 XKR | 2004 4.2 XJ8 | 1998 4.0 XJR | 1996 6.0 XJ12 | 1989 5.3 XJ-S | 1983 5.3 XJ-S | 1980 5.3 XJ-S

10. Likes 8bit liked this post