Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Crank Pulley Disintegrated !

Post Thanks / Like

Crank Pulley Disintegrated !

Wow, so I was sitting in a car park and there was a pop and the engine then ran awfully. So I checked under the bonnet and saw the auxiliary belt was off, not split though, and the crank was on an angle.

Engine still turned over so saw the crank turning AGAINST the pulley wheel that was on an angle.

I was AA recovered after 3.5 hours and I took the wheel and liner off to discover the pulley was destroyed ! See photo

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191220_212523.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	295.6 KB 
ID:	32347

I have a new pulley, belt and power steering belt (might as well) to now change - any help?

Thanks
    Simon
    Last edited by siwilks200; 21-12-19 at 10:31.
    Jaguar X-Type 2.0D, 2007 169,000 miles

Post Thanks / Like
    I had exactly the same thing happen to me about six weeks ago.

Have someone sit in the car and press hard on the brakes, you'll move those three bolts with an impact driver.

Check the crank case cover isn't damaged. Mine was and leaked oil. I cleaned the area up with acetone then packed the split with JB Weld. That sorted it.

You'll need a tensioner tool to slacken the belt+tensioner. I put the new pulley on to the belt, slackened the belt which allowed the pulley to line up with the three holes. New bolts in. Get someone to press the brakes. Tighten the three bolts. Ensure everything is lined up. Start the engine. Bask in your own glory.

Easy(ish) job

3. Thanks siwilks200 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks mate and well done!

I dont have an impact, other person to help or a tensioner tool !

Without help - I have read I can jam a bar either between the vanes of the brake disc (?) or a bar under one of the bolts to the ground, then turn.
    Without impact - I do have an old torque wrench with bendy rod.
    Without tensioner tool - hoping a spanner would do?

generally I cant see a lot through the wheel arch so fitting anything seems VERY difficult
    cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Whereabouts are you based? If you're local(ish) to Havant/Portsmouth then I'll happily nip over with the tools and give you a hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you but im in Bishops Cleeve, Cheltenham

I now have the AA arriving in a moment as for some reason it wont turn over now, at all, like battery is dead, but its charged and ive charged it up to ensure - ill see what he says and if he can assist with the brakes!

Main issue now is not having tensioner tool to hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck! Please keep us posted.

Post Thanks / Like
    you dont need a tensioner tool i have done this 4 times now on the ford engine .
    remove the old pulley , place the new pulley onto the belt and align one hole then with 2 hands turn the pulley swinging it round into position fit last 2 bolts job done , it you can get the transit pulley its the upgraded one
    there is a video of a guy doing this with mole grips but 2 hands is more than enough
    i have a spare (new) oil seal if you need one
    2005 x type 2.0D estate sport in black

Post Thanks / Like
    thank you both. well the aa guy was v helpful. battery is ok to start car now and he go the old pulley off with impact gun.

now, he says its a ***** to squeeze a new belt on so best to reuse old one, even though cracked a little.

he has lent me a square bit to accept a spanner in lieu of a tensioner tool, but in order to fit it in I need to remove the engine mount and jam a timber fillet or something to push the engine over to get the square bit into the tensioner!

Bugsb - i will watch your video and hope i can do it that way, seems simpler.....

oh i saw a tiny bit of oil on the crank but i dont think the seal needs renewing - maybe a tiny bit is enough to warrant one?

Post Thanks / Like
    I've not tried to change them. The garages don't charge much.

I had to change mine before it fell apart because they couldn't hear me ordering at the drive through above the racket.
    Vehicle:: 2006 Black Jaguar X400 | 6 Speed Manual Transaxle - MMT6 | Series 60 | 2.2L Duratorq 16V TC (150PS) - Puma | 4 Door Saloon. Upgrades: LED interior light | Leather gear gaiter | Solid wheel nuts Mileage: Approaching 200K miles.Owned since: January 2016 Special features: Attractive driver with GSOH.

Post Thanks / Like
    wow that video makes it seem so easy! he does have a new tensioner fitted though which probably has a spring that will work easier than my old one....i will try this now though!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast