Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A new way to feel old!

Post Thanks / Like

A new way to feel old!

Daughter had borrowed my XK8 to meet up with friends for a "do", brought it back with the fuel light on, apologised and offered some cash, which I obviously declined..............

I just filled up and looked at the amount, it was a few pounds more than my first car cost!!!!!

Oh Dear! I really am old!

2. Likes Jimbov8, Jag-Black, Villanova27, coling liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
    Daughter had borrowed my XK8 to meet up with friends for a "do", brought it back with the fuel light on, apologised and offered some cash, which I obviously declined..............

I just filled up and looked at the amount, it was a few pounds more than my first car cost!!!!!

Ditto - first car twentyfive quid.
    Tankfull-ish sixty euros.
    The world is my prawn!
    Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.
    Workhorse: "Ounce" - White Jag X-Type Estate 2.2D 2009 Executive auto.
    Fun: "La Gata Negra" - All black (Haria) Pug RCZ 2.0 HDI 2014 Swiss spec fully loaded.
    Runabout: "Purple People Eater" - Purple Pug 108 1.2 PureTech 2016 Top fully loaded.
    Sack shifter: "Animal" - Dirty Linhai 300 4x4 ATV 2007.

Post Thanks / Like
    Back in the 70's just before I went to work overseas I stopped in my local fuel station just outside Harrogate and filled up. Went in paid had change from a fiver. Out I went for a year or so. Fuel crisis hit the UK. Blackouts all over the place etc.

I returned to the UK. A little oblivious as to what had been happening. Went to the same petrol station. Car was half full so just topped it up. Went in gave him a fiver. Stood waiting for change. He stood waiting for another fiver. How times change.
    2003 Zircon Blue XKR Convertible.
    It's in the detail.

For a list of most topics written in this 'Story' Please click here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Haha ... I'm used to giving myself a £igure then looking to see how much fuel it buys me ... nice to be able to do it the other way round though!
    2005 (55) X-type 2.0d S saloon ~ Zircon/Champagne/Belize.

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't pay for cars until the immobiliser became popular.

I have to rely on false plates to cover me for fuel station drive aways these days just to get by.
    Vehicle: : 2006 Black Jaguar X400 | 6 Speed Manual Transaxle - MMT6 | Series 60 | 2198ccm Duratorq 16V TC CF1 155HP 114KW 150PS - Puma | 4 Door Saloon. Upgrades: LED interior light | Leather gear gaiter | Solid wheel nuts Mileage: Approaching 200K miles. Owned since: January 2016 Special features: Attractive driver with GSOH.

7. Likes ducmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A few POUNDS more?

A few MULTIPLES more.

Actually just checked - a full order of magnitude more than my friend's first car in the same era!

Current car cost a few multiples more than my first house and more than my first three houses together.
    Previous car's set of new tyres cost more than my first annual salary.

This is could be the re-discovery of a long lost Monty Python sketch.
    X260 Portfolio 250PS Estate.

9. Likes Percentage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I fille the 'limo' up yesterday..................£75.
    A very cynical grumpy old man
    Late 2004 2.7D auto
    Connoisseur of Fine Ales
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - What a ride, where are the wimmin?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rtcosic View Post
    A few POUNDS more?

A few MULTIPLES more.

Actually just checked - a full order of magnitude more than my friend's first car in the same era!

Current car cost a few multiples more than my first house and more than my first three houses together.

Yes nearly all of those fit with my past.

The frightening comparisons come when you compare thing to Average Annual earnings or hourly pay.

Generally fuel and a new Repmobile are about the same, 2 hours workmans pay = gallon of fuel, 9 months pay buys a new repmobile / family car. Usable banger 2 weeks wages then and now.

Food is cheaper and a better choice. Electronics are better and VASTLY cheaper. White goods are cheaper but have a shorter lifespan.

We get more holiday 2-3 weeks has become 5-6 weeks and foreign holidays are a lot cheaper............But any worthwhile pension schemes have been replaced by useless scams.

But our main spend, housing........... has shot up in these terms. New Wimpy / Barrett house midlands was 3 to 4 years wages now 8 to 10 years wages!

Conclusion.....Todays generation can probably have a better standard of living than we did, with more and better holidays, but will have to work significantly longer to buy their home Maybe that is just as well, as they have NO hope of early retirement or a decent pension.
    Last edited by Percentage; 23-12-19 at 10:11.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm feeling your pain Percentage,

First car was a 1964 Triumph Vitesse that cost me £40 in 1977. That's about half a tankful these days!

Happy Christmas one and all!
    2017 XE Portfolio 180PS AWD in Santorini Black with climate pack (I don't scrape!) panoramic roof, privacy glass and 19" style 1015 wheels (that I'd happily swap for a nice set of 18" 5 spokes. Anyone?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rtcosic View Post
    A few POUNDS more?

A few MULTIPLES more.

I haven't quite got there yet, first house cost £41.5k and the most I've paid for a car is about £26k.
    2017 XE Portfolio 180PS AWD in Santorini Black with climate pack (I don't scrape!) panoramic roof, privacy glass and 19" style 1015 wheels (that I'd happily swap for a nice set of 18" 5 spokes. Anyone?)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast