Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade or not upgrade....Views Welcomed

Post Thanks / Like

Upgrade or not upgrade....Views Welcomed

Hi guys...why i am I even thinking about this. As those who know, I have my MY2013 Portfolio which I am very happy with. Have remapped it, refurbed the wheels, painted the callipers, had the rear glass filmed, not to mention had the bonnet resprayed due to a dodgy previous repair. 48k mileage, daily driver, recently serviced, and running well.

HOWEVER, have found a local MY2016 for sale in R Sport guise, with 25k on the clock, and a full service history. I love my XJ but do have a real soft spot for the later model with the J Blade headlights, and much improved infotainment, particularly if it’s possible to use the app for remote starting and warming during these winter months. Cost to change in the region of 10-12k. With my head only looking at it, are the improvements worth the extra money, or do I keep what I have....decisions, decisions. And ultimately yes I know, it’s my money, my choice...but all views very welcome.

PS...bit late, but Merry Christmas to all forum members
    Audi A6 2.0d Ultra SLine Black Edition

Previous

MY2013 XJ 3.0d Portfolio in Metallic Caviar, 20 inch Kasugas, remapped to +300bhp
    1993 XJR 4.0 Supercharged

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧

Hard work never killed anyone....but why take the risk

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧

2. Thanks JimC64 thanked for this post
    Likes JimC64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are probably aware of the oil-dilution issues with the later Euro 6 engines and for me that risk would be enough to eliminate the post 2016 models from my consideration. I don't think XJ is the worst offender in the JLR range, but even owners doing the 'right' kind of mileage for diesels seem to have issues. From memory, I think only the XF and XE don't experience the problem.

I'd stick with what you have or switch to petrol ..... or perhaps even another marque. Looks like the tree-huggers have won this particular battle by turning a type of engine renowned for its ruggedness and reliability into a fragile liability.
    2014 XF 3.0D Portfolio / 2006 Kia Picanto 1.1LX

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodel View Post
    You are probably aware of the oil-dilution issues with the later Euro 6 engines and for me that risk would be enough to eliminate the post 2016 models from my consideration. I don't think XJ is the worst offender in the JLR range, but even owners doing the 'right' kind of mileage for diesels seem to have issues. From memory, I think only the XF and XE don't experience the problem.

I'd stick with what you have or switch to petrol ..... or perhaps even another marque. Looks like the tree-huggers have won this particular battle by turning a type of engine renowned for its ruggedness and reliability into a fragile liability.
    Hi mate, thanks for the message, and no I wasn’t aware of the oil dilution issue on the Euro 6 engine, there is a main dealer near me, think I will ask them if this car is Euro6, and if so, will leave well alone?...appreciate the feedback.
    Last edited by Billy200; 26-12-19 at 23:36.

Previous

MY2013 XJ 3.0d Portfolio in Metallic Caviar, 20 inch Kasugas, remapped to +300bhp

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok....this might be the shortest thread going, have slept on it and even without taking the Euro 6 engine into consideration, I don't think I can justify spending the extra for a later model. I know there are some improvements over my model..but 」10-12k worth? I don't think so. As they say, sometimes it's better the Devil you know!!

Previous

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧

Post Thanks / Like
    Sensible choice in my view. Having read some of the horror stories out there about the JLR implementation of Euro 6 standards, I suspect my current XF will be my last Jaguar.

Have a look here if this link works: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l5me1is5h...ppVCnLNOa?dl=0

At the end of the day, I'm just another bloke spouting off on the internet, but I certainly won't be spending my money on a Euro 6 Jag.

7. Thanks Billy200 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy200 View Post
    Ok....this might be the shortest thread going, have slept on it and even without taking the Euro 6 engine into consideration, I don't think I can justify spending the extra for a later model. I know there are some improvements over my model..but 」10-12k worth? I don't think so. As they say, sometimes it's better the Devil you know!!
    That's what I was going to say, keep the one you've got. The only upgrade for me would be the V8.
    2010 Jaguar XJL V8 Portfolio.

9. Thanks Billy200 thanked for this post
    Likes Billy200 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by #steve View Post
    That's what I was going to say, keep the one you've got. The only upgrade for me would be the V8.
    Unfortunately due to the fact I do around 16000 miles a year, the V8 is a non starter for me, I fork out around 」180/month in diesel, hate to think what my fuel would be with a Glorious V8

Previous

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧

11. Likes #steve liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mine does 22mpg when calculated.
    2010 Jaguar XJL V8 Portfolio.

13. Likes Jag-Black liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jodel for the very interesting link regarding the oil dilution if the car has not run much. My car is a 2019 model and am sure must be under the Euro6 category.

I actually checked the oil via the dashboard today and it is indicating it is over-filled. I have no warning gongs (yet) but presume this over-fill must be unburnt fuel.
    I have done 4000 miles in 6 months and recently had to do quite a few short journeys.
    This is very worrying as my 2012 XJ didn't seem to have any issues with this over 4 years.

My question is, do I have the oil changed now (the service indicator says a further 4000 miles), or run it until the service is due?
    Help please!
    Barrie
    2019 XJ 3.0D SWB Portfolio. Loire Blue; Oyster interior. ACC; Self-parking and loads of other extras....
    1998 BMW Z3 Convertible - owned since 2013; Auto; air-con
    1965 Jaguar S type 3.8 litre, Black with chrome wire wheels, Webasto roof. Still owned since 1987.

15. Likes #steve liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Barrie, I am aware of at least one RR Sport owner who got rid of his (Euro 6) V6 diesel because of very frequent oil changes due to oil dilution. Ok, I know that's not the same engine / DPF installation as you have in the XJ but it is indicative of the underlying problem. That particular vehicle was being used 'properly' too, not on short trips.

It's probably a bit premature to hit the panic button just yet, as the car should alert you when a service is due. The fact that Jaguar upped the acceptable oil dilution level from 7% to 10% speaks volumes to me though. At your age of car, you're covered by warranty anyway so any major disasters will be up to Jaguar to fix.

I would be inclined to visit your main dealer and mention to them that the oil level in your car is rising. I would also want any concerns noted in writing in the event of problems further down the line.

I'm no mechanical guru, but my understanding of the worst case scenario is of a snapped crankshaft and basically a new engine.

If the oil isn't lubricating the main bearing shells properly, they'll gradually rotate, block the oilways, the crank will overheat and then snap. This fault seems much more common on RR's / Discovery's rather than Jaguars though.

Have a read at this issue with a Discovery :https://www.dropbox.com/s/bi77grmvfs...ained.pdf?dl=0

Granted, this is on a 4 pot Ingenium engine, not a V6, but still scary stuff in my book!

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, please bear in mind that I'm just another anonymous bloke on the internet who could very well be talking complete nonsense. I don't believe I am and although I may perhaps be unduly risk-averse, I will be putting my own money where my mouth is and avoiding Jaguar diesels in future.

In the interest of balance, I also know someone with an X260 XF (which is Euro 6) and has none of these problems. You pays your money and takes your choice.....

17. Likes #steve liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast