Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Labour leadership race

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartw View Post
    Whilst this circus is trying to entertain, it would appear, from the reports I have read, that Sir Lindsay Hoyle is a breath of fresh air, in the chair.

Wholeheartedly agree.

Gone are the constant narcissistic diatribes together with the juvenile and overly patronising rebukes by the previous biased incumbent.

SO pleased Bercow did not feature in the New Year Honours List ... thus breaking the tradition of many years ... rather like he chose to do himself when in situ.
    2005 (55) X-type 2.0d S saloon ~ Zircon/Champagne/Belize.

2. Likes Peterthejagman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartw View Post
    Whilst this circus is trying to entertain, it would appear, from the reports I have read, that Sir Lindsay Hoyle is a breath of fresh air, in the chair.
    No one could be as big an ass hole as the last one for sure !

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag-Black View Post
    This is how it looks today.

Keir Starmer 67% +8
    The ambitious former director of public prosecutions has led the charge for remain in the shadow cabinet, which may count against him given that some blame Brexit for the election defeat. He has said he favours a "broad church" Labour party, but without explicitly signalling a move to the right.

Rebecca Long Bailey 20% -2
    A close ally of the shadow chancellor, John McDonnell, Long Bailey has been groomed as a potential leftwing contender for the top job. The Salford MP and shadow business secretary performed well as a stand-in for Jeremy Corbyn in leadership debates.

Lisa Nandy 15% +4
    A soft-left candidate, Nandy resigned from the shadow cabinet in 2016 over Corbyn’s leadership and handling of the EU referendum. Like Jess Phillips, she may be viewed with suspicion by Corbyn supporters.

Jess Phillips 8% –
    The MP for Birmingham Yardley is a strong media performer who has built up a significant public profile from the backbenches. Her fiery speeches and witty barbs aimed at the Conservatives, including the prime minister, frequently go viral online. Corbyn-supporting Labour members are likely to be deeply suspicious of her, as she has frequently been critical of his leadership and the party’s approach to antisemitism.

Clive Lewis 2% -2
    The shadow Treasury minister's pitch places him firmly on the left of Labour. He said Jeremy Corbyn had not gone far enough to democratise the party and criticised his “prevarication and lack of leadership” over Brexit.

Yvette Cooper 1% -2
    Yvette Cooper ran against Corbyn for the leadership in 2015 and is viewed as a centrist. Therefore, she would be likely to face an uphill battle to convince the party membership she is the right person for the job.

Emily Thornberry 1% -1
    Thornberry will have to fight accusations of being part of the “metropolitan elite”. The image has plagued her ever since she tweeted a picture in 2014 of a house in the Rochester and Strood constituency adorned with three flags of St George and the owner’s white van parked outside, provoking accusations of snobbery. More recently, as shadow foreign secretary, she has trodden a careful line, never straying too far from the leadership on issues such as Russia, Israel and Trident.
    P.M.S.L...Thornberry.....1 vote ?.....I take it she voted for herself then ?

5. Likes Jag-Black liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This bunch should keep Labour out of power for the foreseeable future. Bring it on and they will eventually self destruct!
    2 rejected F Paces for a 2018 XF 2.0D AWD Sportbrake. caesium blue with goodies. 2006 4.2 XK Convertible Frost Blue & Ivory for wonderful summer use.

Post Thanks / Like
    When you have little interest in the outcome and it is of minimal importance to the country for next 5 years, it is hard to show any concern over the non-event.

They do seem to be a collection of non entities who have done little and achieved less.

The lack of GOOD people who have done anything worthwhile seems to blight politics both here in the UK and in the US.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know why they never let Alan Johnson be their leader. I remember him being touted in the media as a possible successor to the outgoing Labour leader Gordon Brown.

"I know I'm a pessimist because my glass is always half empty...even when it's full".

2009 X-Type 2.2D Sovereign - Indigo Blue with Ivory Leather

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero123 View Post
    I don't know why they never let Alan Johnson be their leader. I remember him being touted in the media as a possible successor to the outgoing Labour leader Gordon Brown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dme8AwpThAc
    One presumes that he is too moderate?

2000 S Type manual(now sold and replaced with a Transit Connect that ate it's engine in Spain and replaced with another Connect known as the Micro Stealth Camper) BMW E30 cabbie in the very rare neon green colour and a Nissan Micra for 'er indoors!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pleased that they didn't..............

I have met him, he is quite sensible and has had a proper job.

He, Frank Field and Kate Hoey would have been a dreadful combination - They would have made Labour electable!!!!!!!

11. Likes Zero123, Jimbov8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think they missed out getting the wrong Milliband brother ?.....David would have been worth 10 of his brother Ed ?

13. Likes Zero123 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag-Black View Post
    This is how it looks today.

Keir Starmer 67% +8
    The ambitious former director of public prosecutions has led the charge for remain in the shadow cabinet, which may count against him given that some blame Brexit for the election defeat. He has said he favours a "broad church" Labour party, but without explicitly signalling a move to the right.

Rebecca Long Bailey 20% -2
    A close ally of the shadow chancellor, John McDonnell, Long Bailey has been groomed as a potential leftwing contender for the top job. The Salford MP and shadow business secretary performed well as a stand-in for Jeremy Corbyn in leadership debates.

Lisa Nandy 15% +4
    A soft-left candidate, Nandy resigned from the shadow cabinet in 2016 over Corbyn’s leadership and handling of the EU referendum. Like Jess Phillips, she may be viewed with suspicion by Corbyn supporters.

Jess Phillips 8% –
    The MP for Birmingham Yardley is a strong media performer who has built up a significant public profile from the backbenches. Her fiery speeches and witty barbs aimed at the Conservatives, including the prime minister, frequently go viral online. Corbyn-supporting Labour members are likely to be deeply suspicious of her, as she has frequently been critical of his leadership and the party’s approach to antisemitism.

Clive Lewis 2% -2
    The shadow Treasury minister's pitch places him firmly on the left of Labour. He said Jeremy Corbyn had not gone far enough to democratise the party and criticised his “prevarication and lack of leadership” over Brexit.

Yvette Cooper 1% -2
    Yvette Cooper ran against Corbyn for the leadership in 2015 and is viewed as a centrist. Therefore, she would be likely to face an uphill battle to convince the party membership she is the right person for the job.

Emily Thornberry 1% -1
    Thornberry will have to fight accusations of being part of the “metropolitan elite”. The image has plagued her ever since she tweeted a picture in 2014 of a house in the Rochester and Strood constituency adorned with three flags of St George and the owner’s white van parked outside, provoking accusations of snobbery. More recently, as shadow foreign secretary, she has trodden a careful line, never straying too far from the leadership on issues such as Russia, Israel and Trident.
    What I can't get my head around why do they keep saying "the next leader should be female " ....I would agree if she was the " best person " for the job ?..

Its like the best actors awards !....No black or female nominations ?......I wonder if that is because ....They were not the best actors ?...

15. Likes Jag-Black, Rhyl46 liked this post
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast