Thread: Instrument Panel Illumination

Post Thanks / Like

Instrument Panel Illumination

The multi function display centre for MPG, Range, Mileage etc is no longer illuminated although the lights for the rest of the dashboard are fine. I can read the displays during daylight but not at night.
    Is this an easy fix or just something I've got to put up with like the radio display with a mind if its own?
    1996 XJ 4.0 Sovereign LWB. Titanium grey / Regatta Blue leather 135,000 miles and rising.
    2001 S-Type 3.0 SE 5 Speed Automatic. Mistral Blue / Cream leather. 114,500 miles and rising. M20532
    2004 X-Type 2.0D SE 5 Speed Manual. Zircon Blue / Cream Leather. 167,000 miles and rising.

Ex
    2003 X-Type 3.0 SE 5 Speed Automatic. Radiance Red / Cream leather.
    2006 X-Type 2.2D Sovereign 6 Speed Manual. Indigo Blue/Cream leather.
    2004 X-Type 2.0D SE 5 Speed Manual. Pacific Blue/Cream leather .

Post Thanks / Like
    Rick
    That's a yes and a no.
    The console has to be lifted away to access the bulbs.
    That means the whole instrument assembly will have to be lifted up above your steering wheel.
    There are two sets of bulbs. The ones you want are no longer (easily) available, but both share the same socket and can be replaced with LEDs, which is what I did.
    There are instructions online for getting your speedo / tack cluster out to access the bulb mounting panel.
    If you need help, or want more information about the LEDs, please let me know and I'll run through it for you.