Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Decarbonising 2.2d engine

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag-Black View Post
    It's a modified hydrocarbon. First designed to improve the life of oil rig drilling heads.

Now you can buy it in halphords for your engine. I have had excellent results with it.
    It also fixed the tickety cam sound on my Mums 25 year old Vauxhal Corsa.
    Vehicle:: 2006 Black Jaguar X400 | 6 Speed Manual Transaxle - MMT6 | Series 60 | 2.2L Duratorq 16V TC (150PS) - Puma | 4 Door Saloon. Upgrades: LED interior light | Leather gear gaiter | Solid wheel nuts Mileage: Approaching 200K miles.Owned since: January 2016 Special features: Attractive driver with GSOH.

Post Thanks / Like
    @280E - a reduction in MPG...not great.

@Jag-Black - I have previously added ZX1 to my oil and power steering, but not to the fuel. What quantity have you added to 50litres of diesel and is this a one-off exercise, as it is meant to remain present for a considerable amount of time?

@mrmut - 3 questions. How do I flush the engine, rather than just drain and replace the oil? And what is ‘really nice oil’ (brand, synthetic ...etc)? Re cetane, I add 50ml per 50litres, do you agree?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve1707 View Post
    @280E - a reduction in MPG...not great.

@Jag-Black - I have previously added ZX1 to my oil and power steering, but not to the fuel. What quantity have you added to 50litres of diesel and is this a one-off exercise, as it is meant to remain present for a considerable amount of time?

@mrmut - 3 questions. How do I flush the engine, rather than just drain and replace the oil? And what is ‘really nice oil’ (brand, synthetic ...etc)? Re cetane, I add 50ml per 50litres, do you agree?
    I started by adding 25ml to a tank full. Since it started working I got excited and started putting a 1/3 bottle in. Can make it smoke a bit on startup, but excess gets in the exhaust manifold and cleans it.

I've taken mine from 430 miles a tank back to 500 miles. The engine revs freely and responsive to little pedal taps from idle, where before it had a delayed reaction.

It says it will stay on engine parts for 50k miles and has been known to last 100k miles. I add a bottle every second oil change, and change the oil once a year.
    Vehicle:: 2006 Black Jaguar X400 | 6 Speed Manual Transaxle - MMT6 | Series 60 | 2.2L Duratorq 16V TC (150PS) - Puma | 4 Door Saloon. Upgrades: LED interior light | Leather gear gaiter | Solid wheel nuts Mileage: Approaching 200K miles.Owned since: January 2016 Special features: Attractive driver with GSOH.

Post Thanks / Like
    This looks astonishing if it really does what it says!

EDIT: Would it also work on big petrol engines?
    Jaguar S-Type R / year 2003
    Jaguar X-Type 2.0d Executive / year 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmut View Post
    This looks astonishing if it really does what it says!

EDIT: Would it also work on big petrol engines?
    I'm not a proper scientist but I'd say that it is down to the mechanical tolerances of the engine if you can use it or not.

1 molecule doesn't sound big enough to worry the tolerances of everyday car engines, but I expect the F1 racing techs would have a fit it you put some in their tightly toleranced engineering.

I took my information from the racing teams. They will try anything that might give them an advantage. They measure and test, and if it doesn't show improvements it won't get used.

What they measured was a tiny decrease in engine running temperature, not significant for us. One team were using it in the gearbox, had a fault and lost gearbox oil, but the gearbox held out for the race.

They found all sorts of advantages that could help them win a race, but maybe not by going faster, just becoming more reliable through less heat and friction stress.

The product works amazingly well. I suspect that car manufacturers have no incentives to pay out testing a product that could potentially slow down car sales eventually.

I started using ZX1 at about 140k miles. The cam chain service period for renewal is at 350k. It extends oil rig drill heads by eight times, so I can extend my cam chain change period to around 1.8 million miles.

I'd say that was good.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123