Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.0 supercharged - coolant hose removal

Post Thanks / Like

5.0 supercharged - coolant hose removal

Hoses in question are the four (two each side) that attach either side of the intercoolers on top of the supercharger. I need to remove these to get under the coil covers to replace the spark plugs. The connectors look to be the push-fit type with press-tabs either side of them and do some combination of pressing them together and pushing/pulling to pull the hoses off the connectors on the intercooler body. I've tried twice now and for the life of me I can't see how to get them clear.

A friend suggested getting a pair of fuel hose pliers and using them to press in the push-tabs with one hand and using the other but they don't stay put on the tabs very well and the tabs are getting a bit mashed up, don't want to break them as the connectors are built into the hoses.

Anyone managed this and got any good tips?
    Current: 2009 XKR 5.0
    Previous: 2008 XKR 4.2

I take photos of cars! Find me on Facebook, Instagram and Flickr.

Post Thanks / Like
    A pair of mole grips or long nose locking pliers depressing the clips whilst you pull the hose off.

Quote Originally Posted by 8bit View Post
    Hoses in question are the four (two each side) that attach either side of the intercoolers on top of the supercharger. I need to remove these to get under the coil covers to replace the spark plugs. The connectors look to be the push-fit type with press-tabs either side of them and do some combination of pressing them together and pushing/pulling to pull the hoses off the connectors on the intercooler body. I've tried twice now and for the life of me I can't see how to get them clear.

A friend suggested getting a pair of fuel hose pliers and using them to press in the push-tabs with one hand and using the other but they don't stay put on the tabs very well and the tabs are getting a bit mashed up, don't want to break them as the connectors are built into the hoses.

Anyone managed this and got any good tips?
    2003 Jaguar XJ8 (X350) 4.2 Silver
    2006 Jaguar XK (X150) 4.2 Indigo Metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    That's what I was trying to do with the fuel line pliers. The push tabs are recessed slightly into the connector body so regular pliers or mole grips won't press them in, sadly.

Post Thanks / Like
    If they're recessed use this instead:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F392298179230

That's what I was trying to do with the fuel line pliers. The push tabs are recessed slightly into the connector body so regular pliers or mole grips won't press them in, sadly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, but it's not that sort of hose clip. I'll try and remember to take a photo or two tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I know it's not that type of hose clip. I think I know the kind you're on about. There are a couple on my XK. You said they were recessed, these ends of these pliers protrude. You may be able to depress both sides of the clip with these.

Thanks, but it's not that sort of hose clip. I'll try and remember to take a photo or two tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    The pliers I bought have a similar sort of design, these are the ones I got:

They weren't very expensive, but I'm not inclined to buy any other ones unless someone can confirm that whatever ones they recommend can definitely help with these specific connections. I'm also not totally certain that I'm approaching the connectors the right way, think there must be some sort of knack to undoing them that I'm just not getting.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's fair enough, I can't say definitely that they will do the job, however they do lock in place, which was what I thought may help.

However, on an entirely unrelated matter, if you have any clips under your bonnet like this:

https://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.p...guar___xk___xj_

It would be worth you getting a pair, they make removing them about 2000% easier.

Edit: The pair I bought are £1.50 cheaper.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Hose-...A/263897200804

9. Thanks 8bit thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do the hose clips in question look like this:

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, that's about right. It looks like the tabs on the topmost sides of the connectors there, also there are ones directly on the opposite side. Looks like they should just push in but on most of mine they don't seem to move when I press them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast