Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Something has to go...

Post Thanks / Like

Something has to go...

I have all the cars listed below...

I need to get shut of some of them, I'm thinking I'll replace the centre transfer box on the X Type 3.0 estate and move that on, maybe get the welding done on the old blue X type, I need a car with a tow bar so the X type derv estste will cover that, but I really need to decide which of the others I'm keeping.

My 3.0 XJ6 Allycat? Or the S type 4.0. So. I've done the lists and it doesn't help.
    For the S type: It sounds lovely, it's a 1999 car. There aren't many around, I can't take it into London, my wife likes it, it's the old 5 speeder so no issues with duff electronics, it was used recently to take my daughter to hospital at 03:00 am when she had an ear infection that eventually punctured her eardrum, my wife "advised" me that we were well over the speed limit at one point, so I slowed down until the needle was much more respectable... Even so I was not really aware that it was pulling those rpms at the time so there's that... It's not quite "Standard" inside because I took the radio unit and cd player out, but I think I might put it back as I like standard cars... Downside to that is that it's running a Kenwood head unit, a sub in the boot... Sounds lovely. And I'd miss that bass.

On the downside... The engine is an original Nikasil 4.0 and the bores are tired, I have one cylinder that has just 60 psi. The poor thing will need to come out at some point because it's using oil at the rate of a litre per 600 miles, and I'm not sure how long I can live with that. Cam tensioners were done though. It has a "lazy" inlet cam advance mechanism on one bank, sometimes it stays fully advanced, but that only happens when I don't use it often. Easy fix... Some one suggested I stick a bottle of that ZX1 "Engine Restore" stuff in, so I did, it didn't help at all. Don't think they work anyway, if the bore is worn, it's worn... Body wise it's pretty good, although it has a few scaley rust issues around the back end that are held back by Waxoil at the moment but will need cleaning properly and treating too. Bushes are good...

The XJ6? Well it's ally body for a start, the heater isn't brilliant, it has all the toys, it's far better on fuel, and whilst it's had a few suspension issues, it's always been a nice place to be. Not exactly rapid though. And the laquer is peeling a little bit. Parking sensors don't work, never have... But there's only really me and the wife, my daughter is looking to fly the nest soon so we just don't need a large car. Emotion gets in the way here... Downside is the EPB which is a dogs breakfast of a system and if I could convert it to a hand brake lever I would do it tomorrow.

So. Three cars needed. Which three? Lexus RX, Jag X type estate for tip runs, which of the "cruisers".

Got to happen this year, I've taken time off work to get them all MOT'd.
    2001 3.0 SE Auto, Satnav, winter pack. Dark Blue, all the toys.
    2004 3.0 Sovereign Estate. Winter pack. Fixed. For Sale.
    2005 Estate X type 2.2 Sport.
    2000 V8 3.2 XJ8 LWB. "Prom" car. Lovely. Should sell this one too really...
    2005 "AllyCat", 3.0 XJ6 SE.
    2000 S type 4.0 V8. Latest toy.
    VFR800A and a VFR 800F

Still beating cancer. Trevor 2, Cancer 0.

Sure I took the Red pill....

Post Thanks / Like
    Lost one,how did you win permission from SWMBO for so many toys?

I'm limited to just two,well,three if we count 'er scruffy Micra....

2000 S Type manual(now sold and replaced with a Transit Connect that ate it's engine in Spain and replaced with another Connect known as the Micro Stealth Camper) BMW E30 cabbie in the very rare neon green colour and a purple Vauxhall Viva (2017)auto for 'er indoors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by E30MW View Post

Simples..........

"I know I'm a pessimist because my glass is always half empty...even when it's full".

2009 X-Type 2.2D Sovereign - Indigo Blue with Ivory Leather

4. Likes payno liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Apparent there could be worse things to be under than a car
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 17k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 12k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost it View Post
    So. Three cars needed. Which three? Lexus RX, Jag X type estate for tip runs, which of the "cruisers".
    I would keep whichever is in best condition. In the case of a tie, whichever will need the least effort to get it back to as good a condition as realistically possible. In reality, the aluminium one should be the longest lived and probably the best designed. The older ones might feel like they have more character. Not sure outright pace is really an issue in a "near-classic" cruiser. All can keep up with modern traffic.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 17k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 12k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hard choice to make. I have no doubt each and every one of them has had lots of attention, and money, from you. Personally id forget the money side, as hard as that may be. Which one would cost you the least money, maintenance and parts finding trouble in the future.

Go for the one that most appeals. Flog the others to those that would enjoy the work or need the parts. If you do flog one for 'spares' do it on the proviso that your selling the car at a discounted price, no doubt they will haggle for a discount, and you can ask for the odd free part later that they dont need?

Actually you might find the decision taken out of your hands. Advertise the lot of them and see what sells. You can always reject a buyer if you still want to keep a car.
    2003 Zircon Blue XKR Convertible.
    It's in the detail.

For a list of most topics written in this 'Story' Please click here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero123 View Post
    Simples..........

Simples;

Mouse!

2000 S Type manual(now sold and replaced with a Transit Connect that ate it's engine in Spain and replaced with another Connect known as the Micro Stealth Camper) BMW E30 cabbie in the very rare neon green colour and a purple Vauxhall Viva (2017)auto for 'er indoors.

9. Likes Zero123, payno liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero123 View Post
    Simples..........

Someone pass him the f-ing cheese
    S TYPE R 2003
    BMW M3 EVOLUTION 1998
    You can not beat me in a argument
    I am too stupid to know when I am beaten

11. Likes Zero123 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost it View Post
    The XJ6? Well it's ally body for a start, the heater isn't brilliant, it has all the toys, it's far better on fuel, and whilst it's had a few suspension issues, it's always been a nice place to be.
    This one would be my keeper for those reasons. Plus it's more classic Jaguar lines than the S-Type, it was a more expensive and better quality car than the S-Type when new and as much as I loved my S-Type I know if I had an XJ on the drive too and one had to go, I wouldn't need to think about it.

Ultimately old Jaguar saloons never make big money but they always attract big bills so it's which ever one you feel the most compassion towards keeping on the road. You've got to love a car to justify throwing money at it when the replacement part might be more than the total value of the car. If you feel more inclined and less reluctant to spend money to see one of them on the road than the other, then that probably answers your question.

It's not the Worlds worst dilemma...

Post Thanks / Like

Easy. She loves me.
    2001 3.0 SE Auto, Satnav, winter pack. Dark Blue, all the toys.
    2004 3.0 Sovereign Estate. Winter pack. Fixed. For Sale.
    2005 Estate X type 2.2 Sport.
    2000 V8 3.2 XJ8 LWB. "Prom" car. Lovely. Should sell this one too really...
    2005 "AllyCat", 3.0 XJ6 SE.
    2000 S type 4.0 V8. Latest toy.
    VFR800A and a VFR 800F

Still beating cancer. Trevor 2, Cancer 0.

Sure I took the Red pill....

14. Likes Henry_B, Jag-Black liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast