Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Considering a Diesel XE - maybe!

Post Thanks / Like
    Having had my 180d AWD 15 months or so now I will confess that the only real downside is probably this 'hesitation' which I suspect is a conbination of turbo lag and the auto box. I suspect in a manual it would be a lot easier to manage, but I won't be ditching the car on account of it! If I get another someday I will likely look for one with a manual box though as it's not like I do much town/stop-start driving.

By the way, the worst car I had for that feature was a Peugeot 40 something or other. Even Top Gear called it downright dangerous!

Richard.
    2017 XE Portfolio 180PS AWD in Santorini Black with climate pack (I don't scrape!) panoramic roof, privacy glass and 19" style 1015 wheels (that I'd happily swap for a nice set of 18" 5 spokes. Anyone?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RWD3M View Post
    If I get another someday I will likely look for one with a manual box though as it's not like I do much town/stop-start driving.

Richard.

I think the manual box was deleted when the XE was facelifted last year! By all accounts it was not a very nice box and not that popular!
    Jaguar XF Luxury 3.0 V6 petrol, in Claret Red with barley leather, Venus alloys

previously Jaguar X Type 2.1 V6. Gone but not forgotton

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J.J.X.T View Post
    I think the manual box was deleted when the XE was facelifted last year! By all accounts it was not a very nice box and not that popular!
    Didn't know that, thanks!
    2017 XE Portfolio 180PS AWD in Santorini Black with climate pack (I don't scrape!) panoramic roof, privacy glass and 19" style 1015 wheels (that I'd happily swap for a nice set of 18" 5 spokes. Anyone?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J.J.X.T View Post
    Thanks. I didn't think Jaguar imported diesels to your side of the pond! thought it was mainly petrol (gas?) in the US? I can imagine that 49mpg is regarded as pretty good and I would be happy with that in the UK - a lot more than I get from my petrol XF and one of the attractions for me although still not sure about a diesel as yet.
    WE had them in 2017-19, but as of this year they are gone. In fact it seems most diesel passenger cars are gone. And yes, that 49mpg holds up at 80 mph all day on the interstate hiways.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jaguar cars have one thing in common with old Land Rovers they are ' vehicles of charm and character' you may love them, some may even hate them, but I doubt if anybody gets bored with them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the lockdown put a halt on my ideas of looking at an XE as a replacement for my XF (250) Now things are easing and the garages are open I am back on the hunt! Finally got to drive one yesterday a 180d R sport. Impressions were quite favourable generally. Never had a diesel and not been at all keen on the oil burners in the past. However I may be being won over, Not as noisy as I'd had thought and not really noticable on the move. Like most people say I enjoyed the low end torque and it makes the car feel like it can really move when you want it to! Quite a few pluses for a diesel - the running costs would be much lower and cheap VED if you get one registered before April 17. There are lots to choose from and I think prices are cheaper than the petrol versions from what I can see. My main concern is do I do enough miles these days to run a diesel? - dpf issues bother me a little. Several people have said providing I do a drive of about 15 miles at speeds of 50 and above at least once a fortnight I should be OK but would be interested in other people's experiences?

I like the looks of the XE although the interior is a bit minimalist and I would miss the the wood and chrome but I accept it looks more modern with some nice touches. The one I tried was finished in Quartzite a sort of metalic bronze. Didn't think I liked it to start with but it grew on me on me probably helped it was clean and the sun was shinning - don't see that many in that colour but overall I thought that was a plus and it is a colour I would consider. Anyway will probably be looking at some more in the next few days - maybe a petrol if I can find one and then its decision time including what to do with mine part ex or try to sell privately.

Post Thanks / Like
    The XE is actually quite a small car, I would class it as a 2+2, boot space is also relatively small, you would have to bear this in mind when choosing. The DPF issue should not be a problem provided you either use premium fuel or give it a can of red-ex and a blast up the gears now and again. As a relaxed mile eater the XE is superb and it is a Jag, and it looks a very attractive car. Before buying I looked at various Germanic offerings but all that mechanical perfection did nothing for me, does anybody ever give a BMW or an Audi a second glance?
    Mollbhan, Jaguar XE 20D AWD, 1961 Matchless G12, 1971 MV Agusta, Push bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd imagine the hesitation referred to in this thread is down to the manufacturers throttle map. It seems most new cars are designed this way. The fact that using sport mod helps, proves it's the map.
    In the old days putting your foot on the throttle directly applied the same pressure in the engine bay. Not so anymore and in order to get the co2 and mpg figures as good as they can be, manufacturers roll back your inputs.
    Obviously some are better than others at it, I would say you do get used to it.
    I imagine you can get it programmed out by a tuner or maybe there's a plug in box for it these days.
    2007 S type R, Radiance Red/ Champagne

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
    Rather than start a new thread, can I post my question here?
    It is well known that the 2.2D XF suffers from a hesitation when moving off, does the 2.0D XE automatic have the same problem (characteristic)? Does the 2.0 petrol automatic have this "characteristic"?
    I can't believe that Jaguar haven't sorted this problem yet. I have a 2007 xj6 2.7 Tdvi Diesel since 2010 and it suffers from the same problem that I have always put down to turbo lag. On a couple of occasions the lag has put me in an embarrassing position due to the car not moving off as quickly as I wanted. Get a grip Jaguar.
    In the past, lots of Xjs, an X Type estate and an S Type Diesel. Current Car: 2007 X350 XJ6 TDVi in Lunar Grey with 85K. The last of the proper Jag Saloons.

Post Thanks / Like
    Over the last week I've had test drives in two petrol XE's with the Ingenium engine -a 200t and a 250t but have to say I was rather dissappointed. I found the auto box doesn't change gear at all smoothly and makes the car feel very jerky! The 250t had plenty of oomph but the power delivery was really spoilt by the lack of smoothness through the gear changes which makes the car shudder noticably through the gears. This is so different from my XF V6 petrol - the gear changes are really smooth and its hard to tell when it is changing gear at all, only when it is in sport mode and I'm driving it hard can I feel the gear changes and even then it is not as pronouced as in the XE. I also found the XE's ride rather hard particularly over poor surfaces. The car I drove was an R sport with 19 inch wheels so it may be the stiffer suspension and bigger wheels that affected the ride.

Anway planning to try another diesel XE and preferably not an R sport to see how that compares, but at the moment I'm still to be convinced this is the car for me!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast