Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering a Diesel XE - maybe!

Post Thanks / Like

Considering a Diesel XE - maybe!

To my surprise I find myself possibly considering buying a used XE diesel probably a 180 bhp auto as the manuals don't seem well thought of? Until now I've never been a fan of diesels but times and circumstances change.

Have to say it is the lower running costs and VED (on pre April 17 cars) that I find appealing. There is also a much larger supply of used diesel XE's and due to all the hype about diesels prices are now lower than petrol engines although that might be partly due to more supply.

I think my main concern is whether I do enough mileage to warrant a diesel. These days I do about 10k per year and I am not pounding the motorways daily. I rarely drive into cities but do some short journeys to supermarkets etc. Do some trips of 50 miles to visit my mother and we like days out to NT properties 50-100 miles - typical Jaguar owner some would say lol! Probably a couple of holidays a year where we do much more mileage. Its whether all this would be enough to keep a diesel in good fettle.

I also have some reservations about the interior of the XE - a bit minimalist for me although I like them more in the lighter coloured trims. I will probably test drive one or two in the next few weeks to see if it might be for me.
    Jaguar XF Luxury 3.0 V6 petrol, in Claret Red with barley leather, Venus alloys

previously Jaguar X Type 2.1 V6. Gone but not forgotton

2. Likes Geoff_C liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do about 20k annually in my 180 diesel XE, consisting primarily of a 35 mile each way commute to work. My route is 1/3 country lanes and 2/3 motorway. I reckon I do about the minimum to keep a diesel in the best of health but having said that, If my usage was any different I'd still have the diesel. I've become quite addicted to the lazy, low revving torque that a diesel gives.

Hope you find one you like

Richard.
    2017 XE Portfolio 180PS AWD in Santorini Black with climate pack (I don't scrape!) panoramic roof, privacy glass and 19" style 1015 wheels (that I'd happily swap for a nice set of 18" 5 spokes. Anyone?)

Post Thanks / Like
    We have a 17 diesel, and love it for the most part. Getting 49 mpg on the interstate is a big deal. When hurricanes come this way it is easier to find diesel when evacuation becomes necessary!! Had a diesel BMW before this and this engine seems better. If you can find a good one don’t hesitate!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rather than start a new thread, can I post my question here?
    It is well known that the 2.2D XF suffers from a hesitation when moving off, does the 2.0D XE automatic have the same problem (characteristic)? Does the 2.0 petrol automatic have this "characteristic"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Geoff, I have a2016 SE 20D AWD and love the car, possibly the only disconcerting feature is the hesitation, most noticeable when emerging from a side road before the power comes in. This is most noticeable in normal drive mode and barely noticeable in sports mode. Don't let this put you off the car, it is still a cracker.

Post Thanks / Like
    This hesitation is more slowness in getting going from a standstill, until the turbocharger spools up, and I find I overcompensate at which point the car shoots forward like a bullet. As Microsoft would say "its not a bug, sir, its a feature". As this is my first ever diesel I assume this is how diesels work, and don't give the instant lunge forward of petrol engines. I am very happy with my XE so far, though. The only thing I don't approve of is servicing at 2 year or 21k miles intervals, I think a car should be looked at every year and certainly the oil and filter changed. I am going to have oil and filter done in May, 12 months after the last service.
    Fleet manager (!!) of: -
    XE Portfolio 180 AWD 2017
    VW New Beetle 2009
    MG Midget 1500 1977
    MG TF 135 2010

8. Likes JimC64, RWD3M liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
    This hesitation is more slowness in getting going from a standstill, until the turbocharger spools up, and I find I overcompensate at which point the car shoots forward like a bullet. As Microsoft would say "its not a bug, sir, its a feature". As this is my first ever diesel I assume this is how diesels work, and don't give the instant lunge forward of petrol engines. I am very happy with my XE so far, though. The only thing I don't approve of is servicing at 2 year or 21k miles intervals, I think a car should be looked at every year and certainly the oil and filter changed. I am going to have oil and filter done in May, 12 months after the last service.
    Thank you, if it is anything like the XF it is nothing to do with the turbo. I'll cross the XE Diesel Automatic of my list.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by washley1 View Post
    We have a 17 diesel, and love it for the most part. Getting 49 mpg on the interstate is a big deal. When hurricanes come this way it is easier to find diesel when evacuation becomes necessary!! Had a diesel BMW before this and this engine seems better. If you can find a good one don’t hesitate!

Thanks. I didn't think Jaguar imported diesels to your side of the pond! thought it was mainly petrol (gas?) in the US? I can imagine that 49mpg is regarded as pretty good and I would be happy with that in the UK - a lot more than I get from my petrol XF and one of the attractions for me although still not sure about a diesel as yet.
    Jaguar XF Luxury 3.0 V6 petrol, in Claret Red with barley leather, Venus alloys

previously Jaguar X Type 2.1 V6. Gone but not forgotton

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mollbhan View Post
    Hi Geoff, I have a2016 SE 20D AWD and love the car, possibly the only disconcerting feature is the hesitation, most noticeable when emerging from a side road before the power comes in. This is most noticeable in normal drive mode and barely noticeable in sports mode. Don't let this put you off the car, it is still a cracker.
    I had an XF 2.2D about six years ago and this “characteristic” was a major factor in my getting rid of it. I considered it dangerous at the time and I have no desire to repeat the experience. I would still consider a petrol automatic if it is free of this trait or, less likely, a diesel manual. Ideally I would be able to buy a petrol manual but Jaguar doesn’t make one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Worth remembering - a US gallon is smaller than an Imp gallon - so figures for MPG are not necessarily equivalent. Imp gall = 1.2 US gal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast