Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: X type 2.2 diesel SE auto, 2009.

Post Thanks / Like

X type 2.2 diesel SE auto, 2009.

Good morning all, I have just bought the above car which is suffering with the gearbox fault message along with the flashing coil light. I am aware of the turbo actuator fault on these engines and I can confirm that the actuator arm is moving freely.
    I do have a couple of questions if I may. Firstly, I see from others on the forum who have said if they switch off and then back on it clears the fault, sometimes for days or more. My issue is that this car is immediately going into limp mode on every start and also if I move the auto selector to drive or reverse there is quite a severe jerk.
    Is it possible that this jerk is part of a possible actuator fault or could the gearbox be damaged? Also, I don’t believe the actuator on the car is the original, it looks like it has been changed out for a second hand unit, which is also clearly not functioning. So last question, if I buy a new actuator does it have to be programmed in some way to the car?
    Thanks for reading the story and I hope someone can help.

Post Thanks / Like
    IIRC the egr valve can cause gearbox errors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good morning Faltwen, thank you for your reply. I wasn’t aware of that so definitely worth checking out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Codes ?

Read them and note first, then clear them to see what is current when you turn on the engine.

I believe you will get a gearbox fault if you have an issue that affects performance whilst driving because the gears seeing a mismatch in what it expects vs what is happening. However that does not sound like the issue here.
    X-Type 06 2.0L Diesel Estate - "Schrodinger"- Now rescued from the clutches of the evil physicist.. the cat purrring

Post Thanks / Like
    I had similar on same model and year.
    Some kind chap on the forum said "Try a new battery before paying for other work."
    I did just that and have had no further problems.
    That's not to say your problems will be solved so easily, but worth a go,
    The world is my lobster!
    Workhorse: "Ounce" - White Jag X-Type Estate 2.2D 2009 Executive auto.
    Fun: "La Gata Negra" - All black (Haria) Pug RCZ 2.0 HDI 2014 Swiss spec fully loaded.
    Runabout: "Purple People Eater" - Purple Pug 108 1.2 PureTech 2016 Top fully loaded.
    Sack shifter: "Animal" - Dirty Linhai 300 4x4 ATV 2007.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had this problem, It was fixed with a second hand tested guaranteed actuator for £50.00. When I opened my old one up, it had become un-soldered on one of the connections, this has now been repaired so I have a spare.

An even cheaper way of isolating the issue would be to buy or make one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-mond...IAAOSw7U5Y~IYF

Let us know how you get on.
    2008 Jaguar X-Type 2.2 Diesel Automatic Tourer SE in Glacier Blue with Cream Leather Interior, 2004 Rover 75 2.0 Diesel Automatic saloon Connoisseur SE in Platinum with Black Leather Interior, 1971 Karmann Ghia 1600 Twinport in Signal Orange.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do plan to get the codes read, my brother has a Icarsoft diagnostic unit for JLR. Unfortunately he’s away this week. I’ll post any codes I find, on here as soon as I can.

Post Thanks / Like
    I doubt I would be lucky enough to solve it with just a new battery but I’ll get one anyway as the car hasn’t been used for a while.
    I’m not sure I want to go with the bracket as I’d rather get the car back together as it should be if possible. Mooresey, when you bought your replacement actuator, did you have to get it programmed to the car?
    Thank you all for your input so far, this car looks beautiful but it looks like it hasn’t been cared for in a while, so I’d love to bring it back up to scratch and enjoy it.

Post Thanks / Like
    replacement actuator, is just plug and play
    as said codes on this is a must as it can be as simple as actuator resolder or new/ mr muscle on the exhaust side of the turbo / or egr valve playing up , other item may be the inter cooler pipe split
    the last thing you want is to start replacing parts by guessing the cost can mount up
    2005 x type 2.0D estate sport in black

Post Thanks / Like
    From the OP it does sound like someone fired a turbo actuator at it already then got shot of it when that didn't fix the problem. If the actuator is moving freely/self testing on start up then unlikely to be the issue.

Did you buy it knowing that there was an issue ? If not and it was from a dealer then take it back as it is obviously a pre-existing fault.
    X-Type 06 2.0L Diesel Estate - "Schrodinger"- Now rescued from the clutches of the evil physicist.. the cat purrring

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast