Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Knocking sound then sudden death!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag-Black View Post
    You're all wrong. You're meant to fill the fuel filter with fuel. Oh my days.

"I know I'm a pessimist because my glass is always half empty...even when it's full".

2009 X-Type 2.2D Sovereign - Indigo Blue with Ivory Leather

2. Likes Jag-Black liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, tonight's update - Topped the filter up using a large syringe (Mrs. RF900R is a nurse, so we have these things handy around the house). Whilst doing this, I notice that white clip holding the feed pipe into the filter was sticking out around 5mm, so clearly not making a perfect seal, probably not the main cause of the problem, but I doubt it helped. A bit of tinkering, and I had that sorted, and continued to fill up the filter. A few cranks on and still not really getting anywhere, so cracked all the feeder pipes to the injectors and gave it a crank and I could see that there was plenty of diesel flowing through - and yes this time it was diesel! Popped them all back up and carried on cranking the engine, when the engine started making that low grumbling noise of an engine that wants to start. Then the battery died. Again.

On a positive note, the tailgate glass hasn't popped open.
    2006 X-Type 2.0 SE Diesel Estate: 136,000 miles and climbing!
    Heart of Gold, Nerves of Steel, Knob of Butter.

4. Likes Billy2Jags, Jag-Black liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    One...more....turn, Del
    2008 2.0D SE Saloon Chilli Red 160k miles

6. Likes Willber G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Having had a night thinking about this issue, the engine seemed more keen to try and start after I had opened all the injector feed pipes to check that there was fuel flow. So, it's highly likely that there was / is an airlock still in the fuel rail which is why the engine won't fire as there's not enough pressure getting to the injectors (I think). So would cranking the engine with the pipes cracked open a little help bleed the air out of the fuel rail???

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RF900R View Post
    Having had a night thinking about this issue, the engine seemed more keen to try and start after I had opened all the injector feed pipes to check that there was fuel flow. So, it's highly likely that there was / is an airlock still in the fuel rail which is why the engine won't fire as there's not enough pressure getting to the injectors (I think). So would cranking the engine with the pipes cracked open a little help bleed the air out of the fuel rail???
    https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthre...=1#post1235206
    Current. 2011 XFS Portfolio. Lunar Grey (LJZ) / Black (LEG).
    Previous. 2012 XF Premium Luxury. Remapped 307 BHP / 449 lb/ft. Italian Racing Red (CAH) / Barley
    Previous. 2005 55 reg 06MY 2.0D Sovereign. Jaguar Racing Green - HGZ.
    In storage.1988 Daimler XJ40. Bordeaux Red / Doeskin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh let's pretend those last two posts never happened!!! For the record, for various different reasons life is quite stressful at the moment, and I can't dedicate as much time and attention as I need to get the car running again, so apologies if I keep missing bits of info or just the bleeding obvious!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just connect a booster pack and crank the arse off it.
    It will fire - eventually.
    Current. 2011 XFS Portfolio. Lunar Grey (LJZ) / Black (LEG).
    Previous. 2012 XF Premium Luxury. Remapped 307 BHP / 449 lb/ft. Italian Racing Red (CAH) / Barley
    Previous. 2005 55 reg 06MY 2.0D Sovereign. Jaguar Racing Green - HGZ.
    In storage.1988 Daimler XJ40. Bordeaux Red / Doeskin.

11. Thanks RF900R thanked for this post
    Likes RF900R, Jag-Black liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 280E View Post
    One...more....turn, Del
    Classic Only Fools..........

"I know I'm a pessimist because my glass is always half empty...even when it's full".

2009 X-Type 2.2D Sovereign - Indigo Blue with Ivory Leather

13. Likes RF900R, Jag-Black liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Either I'm doing something wrong, or there's a bigger problem here. The pump is drawing fuel from the filter, I've topped it up three times tonight. It's also delivering fuel to the injectors, checked that again too. However, there's a huge air lock from the fuel pump feeder pipe back to the fuel tank. Siphoned as much fuel through as I could from the fuel feed pipe, making sure there were no air bubbles, but as soon as the pipe releases, the air back flows straight back down the fuel pipe. Did a little adjustment to the technique and make sure that very little air got into the system, re-connected the pipe back to the filter and still nothing. The only component I've changed has been the fuel filter itself. I've got nothing to lose now, so I'm going to get another one tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RF900R View Post
    Either I'm doing something wrong, or there's a bigger problem here. The pump is drawing fuel from the filter, I've topped it up three times tonight. It's also delivering fuel to the injectors, checked that again too. However, there's a huge air lock from the fuel pump feeder pipe back to the fuel tank. Siphoned as much fuel through as I could from the fuel feed pipe, making sure there were no air bubbles, but as soon as the pipe releases, the air back flows straight back down the fuel pipe. Did a little adjustment to the technique and make sure that very little air got into the system, re-connected the pipe back to the filter and still nothing. The only component I've changed has been the fuel filter itself. I've got nothing to lose now, so I'm going to get another one tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.
    How about pushing from the tank filler hole with the other end disconnected from the fuel filter.

If there is a load of air it might fart it out with a gentle squeeze.

Maybe rig something up with scissors, cable ties, a foot pump and bicycle inner tube over the tank hole and see if you can relieve the symptom that way?

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast