Page 73 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2363697071727374 LastLast

Thread: Knocking sound then sudden death!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! Did you have the crank locking pin in the correct place.....its not easy to spot, but the torx bolt on the end of the crank should be at approx 11 0 clock and youre NOT looking for that large gap between the teeth
    btw, was there a bolt missing on the exhaust cam carrier... did you find it?
    Don't give up now! We're all there with you!
    Save the Dagenham Cat!
    Last edited by nicam49; 17-10-20 at 15:08.

2. Thanks RF900R thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nicam49 View Post
    Wow! Did you have the crank locking pin in the correct place.....its not easy to spot, but the torx bolt on the end of the crank should be at approx 11 0 clock and youre NOT looking for that large gap between the teeth
    btw, was there a bolt missing on the exhaust cam carrier... did you find it?
    Don't give up now! We're all there with you!
    Save the Dagenham Cat!
    Yeah all the timing was set up correctly, cams set and the crankshaft pinned (although you're right, it's a pain in the backside to find the right place). The "missing" bolt on the exhaust side is one that actually sheared off when tightening it up. and most of the thread is still in the carrier, so there's an additional joy to be dealt with there too.

I have a feeling the cause was the second option I eluded too earlier. The tension on the camshaft from the water pump auxillary belt, more than likely meant that the shaft wasn't sitting properly in the carrier, and therefore it was slightly eccentric when rotating. This is purely based on the fact that the points of failure are at the other end of the shaft where this effect would be greater.

The lesson here is - there are no short cuts!
    2006 X-Type 2.0 SE Diesel Estate: 138,000 miles and dead since January 2020 - Ongoing surgery project.
    Heart of Gold, Nerves of Steel, Knob of Butter.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know it's hard to find the actual holes to pin the cams... I couldn't find them by feel alone...instead I found a false 'hole'. in the end I had to buy a boroscope to search out the holes. Also came in handy for locking the crank.
    Here's a tip I got from another forum for extracting the broken bolt. Instead of blindly guessing the centre with a centre-tap punch, get a drill bit the exact same diameter as the hole the broken bolt is in, and drill into the end of the bolt with it 2-3 turns. You'll get an indentation that's near enough central then you can use a pilot drill the right size to use an extractor in. (that last bit doesn't sound right but I know what I mean...)
    Last edited by nicam49; 17-10-20 at 19:45.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well that's a pain. At this point if you wanted to rescue it I would just get a used head. You can probably whip the timing cover off in record time by now, £100 for a head, £50 for gaskets £20 for bolts. Probably only take you a day and a half.
    Depends on the risk in getting another car.
    X-Type 06 2.0L Diesel Estate - "Schrodinger"- Now rescued from the clutches of the evil physicist.. the cat is purrring
    XK8 - "Kate". Seeing better after some light surgery.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would drop the EZS too. Read lots of stuff about jumped timing chains with using it. Doesn't really prove anything with a diesel which will fire if good compression and injectors working.

Post Thanks / Like
    To the OP: there comes a time on those 'Casualty/999' programs when they agree to stop CPR as a lost cause. I genuinely think it's time to draw a line under this car and move on. I would be the first to congratulate you for sticking with it for so long, but you have expended considerable time, money and general angst - and still no working car. Even if the engine runs again, will you have sufficient confidence that everything is spot on? It's very hard to 'admit defeat', and tempting to say 'well, my time doesn't cost anything' - but ask yourself whether that's really the case.

Others are free to shoot me down in flames for suggesting throwing in the towel
    2008 2.0D SE Saloon Chilli Red 160k miles

Post Thanks / Like
    Time for a feline heart transplant?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by x-files View Post
    Well that's a pain. At this point if you wanted to rescue it I would just get a used head. You can probably whip the timing cover off in record time by now, £100 for a head, £50 for gaskets £20 for bolts. Probably only take you a day and a half.
    Depends on the risk in getting another car.
    This is one option I have been thinking about for a while now - It would be a whole lot easier at this stage to do that. The stripping down part of the engine is pretty straight forward now I know my way around!
    2006 X-Type 2.0 SE Diesel Estate: 138,000 miles and dead since January 2020 - Ongoing surgery project.

10. Thanks x-files thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 280E View Post
    To the OP: there comes a time on those 'Casualty/999' programs when they agree to stop CPR as a lost cause. I genuinely think it's time to draw a line under this car and move on. I would be the first to congratulate you for sticking with it for so long, but you have expended considerable time, money and general angst - and still no working car. Even if the engine runs again, will you have sufficient confidence that everything is spot on? It's very hard to 'admit defeat', and tempting to say 'well, my time doesn't cost anything' - but ask yourself whether that's really the case.

Others are free to shoot me down in flames for suggesting throwing in the towel
    Again this is also an option I've been thinking about. It's getting to the point where it's just not fun anymore (yes - despite everything, I did think it was fun working on the car). Whilst I've largely enjoyed what I've been doing, now the nights are drawing in, the weather's getting colder and work is getting busier it's starting to become a drain on time and resources.

12. Likes Jag-Black liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It IS tough going working on a car out of doors in winter! You've been thro' the worse months last Jan and Feb, so it's understandable you don't want to repeat that. On the other hand....it's still a viable project... and x-files idea of a new head is sound 'cos it means you'll KNOW the valves are all good instead of assuming they are on the existing head. Now that you've been thro' the steep learning curve, the rest should be a bit easier, don't you think. (I'm speaking from experience 'cos for me the worse bit(s) was taking off the timing cover and locking the crank.... felt really out of my depth and lost confidence.... but you've transcended all that and more! It's your call, but I've re-read the whole thread (phew) and I'm seeing light at the end of the tunnel.... but I'm not in your shoes.....

14. Thanks RF900R thanked for this post
    Likes x-files, RF900R liked this post
Page 73 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2363697071727374 LastLast