Page 74 of 74 FirstFirst ... 24647071727374

Thread: Knocking sound then sudden death!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, I read the whole thread last night, which reads like an epic tale. I really admire how you've kept going despite having no great history of car maint experience when you started. I'm thinking you could swap in a replacement head pretty quickly now and that would be the surest way to getting your Jag back. I've been pretty near the same place financially and I know it takes a very strong person to get through it. Wishing you all the best.
    57 reg X-type 2.0D saloon with around 65,000 miles

2. Likes nicam49 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had a chat with a mechanic friend today. His advice was fairly straight forward - scrap it! He said that replacing the head wasn't a great idea, unless the block is skimmed first.
    2006 X-Type 2.0 SE Diesel Estate: 138,000 miles and dead since January 2020 - Ongoing surgery project.
    Heart of Gold, Nerves of Steel, Knob of Butter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys, I'm just going to throw an idea out there...........

On a motorcycle forum I once frequented, a member had similar, but obviously not identical (!) issues, a number of the other members got together and went round to help resolve the issue.

Is there no way we can do this? I'd happily volunteer, but sadly live too far away.

Come on, team, Paul's gone far way and above what most of us would, surely he deserves more than most to get his cat back.

Ian D
    2005 X Type 2.2 Diesel in Winter Gold, EGR blanked, detachable towbar and electrics fitted and wheel nuts replaced with solid version (Toyota).

5. Thanks RF900R thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd have been round already if not for the distance.....
    Not sure about the requirement to skim the block though.
    The heads aren't matched to the block in the first place and you've not blown a head gasket (hence causing any damage) so I'm not sure of the theory behind that?
    Current. 2011 XFS Portfolio. Lunar Grey (LJZ) / Black (LEG).
    Previous. 2012 XF Premium Luxury. Remapped 307 BHP / 449 lb/ft. Italian Racing Red (CAH) / Barley
    Previous. 2005 55 reg 06MY 2.0D Sovereign. Jaguar Racing Green - HGZ.
    In storage.1988 Daimler XJ40. Bordeaux Red / Doeskin.

7. Thanks RF900R thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy2Jags View Post
    I'd have been round already if not for the distance.....
    Not sure about the requirement to skim the block though.
    The heads aren't matched to the block in the first place and you've not blown a head gasket (hence causing any damage) so I'm not sure of the theory behind that?
    I think the theory behind it was he was worried I was gonna ask him to do the work!
    2006 X-Type 2.0 SE Diesel Estate: 138,000 miles and dead since January 2020 - Ongoing surgery project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like arse covering advice to me! If it goes belly up, it's not his fault. "I told you so!" quoth he.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iandux View Post
    Guys, I'm just going to throw an idea out there...........

On a motorcycle forum I once frequented, a member had similar, but obviously not identical (!) issues, a number of the other members got together and went round to help resolve the issue.

Is there no way we can do this? I'd happily volunteer, but sadly live too far away.

Come on, team, Paul's gone far way and above what most of us would, surely he deserves more than most to get his cat back.

Ian D
    That's a very kind thing to say Ian, thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    X2 with the above thoughts re skimming.
    Mechanics are renown for being able to diagnose a faulty injector (or usually the full set!) at 20 paces without doing any testing at all.
    If you replaced just the broken bits then did a compression test which proved good, then you wouldn't need to change the entire head... would you? 'cos that would prove that the valves were good... is that right?

12. Thanks RF900R thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    With the potential for unseen damage to valves and cams a head swap is the easy option. Needing a block skim is BS.
    X-Type 06 2.0L Diesel Estate - "Schrodinger"- Now rescued from the clutches of the evil physicist.. the cat is purrring
    XK8 - "Kate". Seeing better after some light surgery.

Page 74 of 74 FirstFirst ... 24647071727374