Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time for a change.

Post Thanks / Like

Time for a change.

Well I have just part exchanged my beloved X Type, which I have had for 12 years, due to the pending ULEZ regs that come in next year. I was seriously considering the Jaguar XF Sportsbrake but qualifying vehicles were just too expensive for an OAP like me. I only had a budget of £14K. I was due to do a service and the advisories from last years MOT and with that and the MOT and RFL I would have spent over £350 in March so I decided to leave it and put the money towards another vehicle. I found a Mercedes E220 2.1 SE CDi Premium Plus Estate on a 65 plate in dark blue with porcelain interior that I just could not refuse.
    I would have put the X Type up on the forum but as we are a one car family and due to my wife's disability I could not be without wheels.
    As my wife is a blue badge holder access and electric seat adjustment and a place for her walking stick was a big factor in making the decision. The XF was fine but there is no place for a stick. The X Type was great as the stick slotted in the door, The Mercedes is the same. The XF also has Expensive Timing belts which require changing where the Mercedes is chain driven like the X Type so servicing is straightforward for a DIY'er. Yes I know the electrics on the Mercedes are complicated but I can live with that.
    However although I have changed mark I will still visit the forum and will continue to offer assistance as always.
    Here are a few pictures of the new car

Roger
    HEY I THOUGHT I HAD RETIRED, Ex Auto Electrician
    Previous .2006 X Type 2.2d SE Manual Estate. Zircon Blue Champagne/Mocca, F/R Parking sensors, ,Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, Headlight Washers, Sat Nav 2012 update, 17 in Wheels, 127K Mods:- Electric Autofold Mirrors on Locking
    Simple Autofold Mirrors on Locking,http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthrea...irrors+locking
    UPDATE YOUR SIGNATURE http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=91945

2. Thanks JimC64 thanked for this post
    Likes payno, Jag-Black, Zero123, JimC64, Gearheart liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear you won’t be deserting us altogether Roger. Good luck with the new car.
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

4. Thanks rchiv thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice looking motor Roger
    S TYPE R 2003
    BMW M3 EVOLUTION 1998
    You can not beat me in a argument
    I am too stupid to know when I am beaten

6. Thanks rchiv thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Enjoy!

And please keep looking in.....

2000 S Type manual(now sold and replaced with a Transit Connect that ate it's engine in Spain and replaced with another Connect known as the Micro Stealth Camper) BMW E30 cabbie in the very rare neon green colour and a Nissan Micra for 'er indoors!

8. Thanks rchiv thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice car Roger. Glad you're staying around, plenty of wisdom to impart.
    3.0D 2012 (62) XF-S Premium Luxury IRR
    4.2 2004 (04) XK8 Silver
    Previous: 3.0D 2009 (59) XF Luxury, 2002 (52) S Type 3.0 S

10. Thanks rchiv thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by idrobbo View Post
    Nice car Roger. Glad you're staying around, plenty of wisdom to impart.
    I agree, I've learned a lot from Roger (although sadly I lack the skills to put much of it into practice!).
    55 X-Type 3.0 Sovereign estate, automatic, midnight blue, barley leather

Previous cars going back through time:
    X-Type 2.2d SE estate, Alfa Romeo GT, Porsche 928, Lexus GS300, Mercedes E320, Mercedes E280, Rover 600, Vauxhall Senator, Opel Ascona, Fiat 127, Dutton Phaeton, Hillman Avenger

12. Thanks rchiv thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice choice Roger. I went through exactly the same train of thought early last year when my X type developed an oil leak that was going to be difficult and probably expensive to resolve. London's low emission zones are spreading every year and I suspect it won't be long before my area will get caught up. The local council has already stated it will increase on street parking permit costs for pre Euro 6 vehicles. I also seriously considered an XF estate but the only Euro 6 versions are those with the new Ingenium engines so were out of financial range. I bought a 2.2d Mazda 6 estate which is pretty well specced and comfy but is not as economical as the old X Type, which I suppose is not surprising since it is larger, more powerful and, a first for me, an auto! I'm sure Euro 6, even more EGR and a DPF have nothing to do with the relative fuel economy

Ian C
    2005 2.0D SE Estate now replaced by 2015 Mazda 6 2.2D estate (Euro 6 compliance needed for London)

14. Thanks rchiv thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Changing my car is a difficult decision for me especially as Bristol intend to ban all diesels (including Euro6 etc) within the city centre from next year. Where next? I drive through Bristol to Bristol Airport (100 mile round trip) and from where I live an electric car would not even allow me to get to Gatwick Airport (200 mile round trip) let alone back again.
    "I know I'm a pessimist because my glass is always half empty...even when it's full".

2009 X-Type 2.2D Sovereign - Indigo Blue with Ivory Leather

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero123 View Post
    Changing my car is a difficult decision for me especially as Bristol intend to ban all diesels (including Euro6 etc) within the city centre from next year. Where next? I drive through Bristol to Bristol Airport (100 mile round trip) and from where I live an electric car would not even allow me to get to Gatwick Airport (200 mile round trip) let alone back again.
    I sympathise since most local councils seem to follow the political view that diesels are "killers". I formally objected to our local council's proposals to vary on street parking permits according to CO2 emission but load Diesels irrespective of their euro emission standard and classify electric vehicles as "zero emission". I pointed out that electricity in the UK is still predominantly supplied by Gas, coal or "Biomass" all of which produce CO2. I think it was piman who put me on to the "gridwatch" web site that shows gas produces about 40% of our electricity compared with 15% from wind. Diesels may have a cycle beating reputation but these are a small number of tests that the public cannot access easily and we can only go on Government results - ie Type Approval Euro 6 when choosing our vehicles. No one seems to have tested petrol vehicles to see if they also use cycle beating tactics. In any case someone who uses a vehicle for long distance trips will be responsible for far less CO2 emission when using diesel than an electric vehicle so they cannot justify parking charges based on CO2 levels when not taking into account the vehicles overall usage. I had an acknowledgement of my objection and a promise of a response - but as yet nothing, although as far as I can tell the revised on street parking permit charges have not yet been introduced.
    Ian C
    2005 2.0D SE Estate now replaced by 2015 Mazda 6 2.2D estate (Euro 6 compliance needed for London)

17. Likes Zero123 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    From what I read online new tests by the German automobile group ADAC - similar to the AA - reveal that the latest diesels produce almost zero dangerous emissions and some are cleaner than petrol. For example:

A Mercedes-Benz C-Class 220d powered by 2.0-litre diesel engine produced no NOx pollution during on-road testing.
    One of the UK's most popular cars the Vauxhall Astra only produced 1mg/km during testing, as did the BMW 5 Series 520d Touring estate.
    And all of the 13 diesels which were tested were significantly below the legal emissions limit allowed on British roads.
    "I know I'm a pessimist because my glass is always half empty...even when it's full".

2009 X-Type 2.2D Sovereign - Indigo Blue with Ivory Leather

19. Likes iwvc liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast