Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dongle for iPhone X

Post Thanks / Like
    I just put my spotify songs on a usb stick and its works fine
    Present : XK Portfolio coupe 5.0
    Past history : Porsche 987 Box ,Z4MR ,Cat HPC evo , XKR conv , Eunos VR , Eunos VS, Westie S8 ,TVR S2 , S54 Z3MR, SL500 , TVR Wedge 4.6 , Cat Xflow , Saab 900 Turbo ,Cat VXE ,Cat BDR, Cat Twincam , Elan S3 , Haldane Healey, Lancia HF turbo

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using the Apple converter dongle, not the Bovee bluetooth thingamabob. Others here have said it's plug-and-play but it hasn't worked for me. My hunch is that it varies from iOS to iOS. I guess I'll try the Bovee bluetooth thingamabob now, and if that doesn't work I'll have no choice but to go buy an F-Type.

Regarding winter driving, my roads were clear and dry (I just hadn't gotten around to doing my driveway yet); I run a designated snow tire; mine's a plain vanilla XK, not an R, so <<500 bhp; and the winter mode transmission setting works great. I would never take this car out in the middle of Snowmageddon or Ice Storm Zebra, but any car in my stable has to earn its keep all year. I guess I'm just a 4-seasons guy.
    2012 Jaguar XK Coupe
    1964 Land Rover Series IIA 88

Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of the 30-pin to Lightning cables only work for charging, not for playing music. You'll need one that supports music playback for this to work. Then there is the cable from the car to the 30-pin connector; for some reason these don't all support charging. If you can charge your iPhone using the cable you have with the car then you should be OK there, I had to obtain and try a few different cables to find one that worked for me.
    Current: 2009 XKR 5.0
    Previous: 2008 XKR 4.2

I take photos of cars! Find me on Facebook, Instagram and Flickr.

Post Thanks / Like
    With the Apple converter, you should get exactly the same functionality from lightning that you previously had with the 30-pin connector.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some of the Apple ones I've seen are marketed for charging only.

6. Thanks mac_doctor thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 8bit View Post
    Some of the Apple ones I've seen are marketed for charging only.
    i learn something every day, Thankyou.

The one I linked above, to quote from Apple:

... lets you connect devices with a Lightning connector to many of your 30-pin accessories.* Supports analog audio output and USB audio, as well as syncing and charging. Video output not supported.
    ... but of course if the cable in the car only supports charging, then there is nothing that the adapter can do to help.

Post Thanks / Like
    So regards the cables in the car (this applies only to the 5.0 models with the removable cable, not the 4.2s with the hardwired cable), as far as I was aware there are two basic versions; the earlier ones are curly, like telephone handset cable and these will not allow charging for modern Apple devices; anything with a Lightning connector won't charge and I think some later 30-pin devices too. At some point Jaguar addressed this with an updated cable which is straight and apparently these will charge later devices (obviously when used with an appropriate 30-pin to Lightning adapter). The part number for the later cable is 9X23-19H461-AA.

Both of these will provide audio playback, again providing you use a 30-pin to Lightning cable or adapter which does also. If you're certain yours does but you're not getting any playback with either of the Jaguar cables then you have a problem somewhere.

9. Thanks mac_doctor thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks 8bit. I have the straight cable and am using a 30 pin --> Lightning adaptor dongle. When I plug the phone into the dongle which is connected to the cable, it wakes up, but my LCD screen isn't recognizing that there's an "iPod" connected and thus I can't select it. The message at the top of the screen says something about "docking" the device first.

It's a nice day in Michigan today and I have some snow removal to do. When I'm done I'll mess around with it some more and see if I can get it going. Thanks again for all your consultation; I really appreciate it.

Myron
    2012 Jaguar XK Coupe

Post Thanks / Like
    No problem. I would try another adapter and see if that helps; I've had a few and known the odd failure from time to time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I think I have this figured out. I remembered that I had an actual iPod, left over from that technological era when this what we took everywhere with us. Remember those days? When you had to schlep around a phone, a camera, *and* an iPod? So inconvenient, I know. But anyway, I plugged it into the Jag cable and it was instantly recognized and easy to use (I can't believe the Bowers & Wilkins audio -- wow).

So I tried my iPhone XS again, and it would charge, but no audio. The adaptor I was using was an $8 thing, and *looked* like an Apple accessory, but a little googling reveals that Apple discontinued this product in 2015, so any genuine Apple products you find now are leftover stock, or they're non-genuine. My thinking is that the cheapie I tried was good for charging only and didn't support audio.

Both Amazon and Apple were sold out of the real thing. But fortunately a big box retailer here in the US still had the genuine article, which is closer to $30, so I ordered one (two actually, to have a spare). It will be here by the end of the coming week and I'll try it out then.

Thanks again for all the help.

Myron
    2012 Jaguar XK Coupe

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast