Thread: XJ-S V12 remove engine without autobox?

Post Thanks / Like

XJ-S V12 remove engine without autobox?

I have my engine bay and engine stripped for an engine bay refurb: i.e. paint the engine bay, removed valve covers, intake, injection, radiator, air con, all ancillaries are off to be painted, plated, replaced.

Access to everything is actually pretty good but it was my intention to remove the engine until I found out the gearbox has to come out with it. My garage isn't long enough for that and even if I separate the gearbox afterwards room would be too tight in front of the car.

So can it be done? TBH I'm not sure I can see the bellhousing bolts! Car is a 1976 V12 with Borg Warner auto.

Cheers, Malc

Post Thanks / Like
    For anyone that wants to know: yes you can. I just removed my engine by undoing all the bellhousing bolts which was not as hard as I thought as access isn't that bad.

I had the crossmember loosened ready to drop down a few inches if necessary but the engine came out without needing to drop the crossmember.

What probably helped is that I have removed everything from the engine bay including the radiator, air con, all hoses, intake manifolds and air boxes, bonnet, grille......

3. Thanks payno thanked for this post