Thread: Never before seen door jamb switch

Post Thanks / Like

Never before seen door jamb switch

This is from a '72 S3 roadster, driver's side door (the passenger door has a standard pin switch)

Switches on the key warning buzzer and interior light

Has 3 wires connected to it (mine is pretty beat up as I was grinding away on the plastic to see if the contacts could be freshened up). I think this only existed for 1, maybe 2 years.

In the attached wiring diagram #'s 21 and 169 are integrated into this one switch

ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THIS OR WHERE ONE CAN BE HAD?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2142.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	32687Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2144.JPG 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	32688Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2141.JPG 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	32686Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2140.JPG 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	32685Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2139.JPG 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	32684

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Dlpweb,

not a lot of response to your question.

I don't have any E Type experience but if I understand your question, you have a less than satisfactory door jamb switch which has two terminals? I presume it is a single throw, single pole switch, i.e. a normal on and off with only one switch element? I see no reason not to use the normal switch with one terminal. and join the three wires to that terminal?

Alec
    2004 2.5 X Type Estate, MK 2 3.8 (Long term restoration), 2.5 P.I. Triumph saloon, 564 Hymer motorhome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thx for response, Alec!

No - it's a double throw switch. One side is normally open and when the door opens closes one terminal to ground (this is for the map light). The other pole is also normally open but when the door opens closes the remaining 2 terminals together (this is for the seat belt buzzer).

I went ahead and drilled a second hole in the door jamb and am just separating the functions into 2 switches. The car is almost totally original, and i hated doing this, but oh well. I think the OEM switch was only used 2 years and (I guess) is an unheard-of relic now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Dlpweb,

That's a new one on me. Too late now but a discreet change over relay would have done the same job. Tucked out of the way it wouldn't have been noticed.

Alec
    2004 2.5 X Type Estate, MK 2 3.8 (Long term restoration), 2.5 P.I. Triumph saloon, 564 Hymer motorhome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Almost did that, Alec (relay)!

Anyway, have the 2nd pin switch installed, which was of course a big job because of access to the door jamb) and just received my 2-wire switch today. It's a refrigerator door switch --N.O., 1/2 inch diameter (perfect for existing mounting plate), with correct spade connectors. Will send a photo.

BTW - the fridge switches came from China. PETRIFIED to even touch the package! Latex gloves, package itself never entered the house; switches got rubbed down in chlorine solution also before coming in. What a strange, odd world we live in!