Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do idiots fit the wrong battery?

Post Thanks / Like

Why do idiots fit the wrong battery?

I have always thought that the battery on my X was the wrong one, but it worked so I did not bother. It was a Varta D59 60Ah one, too short and lower than the recommended 096 code one which is for 70 or more Ah and longer and taller. It is 4 and a half years since I bought the car with the Varta on it, so I suppose it does not owe me anything. I was going to drive down to Abergele to Tayna batteries (who are good and have good prices, also online with next day delivery for 8 quid), but the weather put me off as this wind is picking up (outside, not me, never touched the beans!) and Abergele is right above the coast. I tried the trick of connecting a booster thing to the cables so as not to have to faff with the radio code, but it pinged off when I tried to remove the battery. Anyway new battery on, code reset, no discernible electrical glitches, just 103 quid out of pocket as I decided to get one from Halfrauds (nearest). Tayna would have been about £80, I would have saved even with about 50 miles of petrol. Halfrauds did say their batteries are fully charged, but on the meter it only read 12.4V which I thought a bit low, so I gave half an hour on the charger before fitting. No doubt they can fester on the shelf in Halfrauds for ages.

I'm getting too old for this! The battery was flippin' heavy, and my back does not like leaning over engines any more.
    Previous 1: Silver 2.5 Auto SE grey leather interior
    Previous 2: Topaz (Pale Gold) 3.0 Auto SE with cream leather
    Current since Oct 15: Gunmetal 2.5 Auto SE with black leather interior 17in wheels heated seats private plate (tasty!)
    ex-Motorcycle: Aprilia RST 1000 V twin sports tourer
    Current 2 wheels: Vespa Sprint 125 (hey, its light, I can get it on and off the stand, and it doesn't try to kill me! Its also a whole lot of fun!)

Post Thanks / Like
    My discovery had a lorry battery in it, I didn't even realise until the missis called the recovery firm (me) one night because she'd drained the thing keeping warm in the car at a kids footy match. I reckon they just sling in what works if they can to save a few quid. Ultimately the new owner gets the bill. For what a proper new one costs, it saves a hell of a lot of aggro in the long term. I've used the Halfords 4 year warranty a few times with no issue, KEEP THE RECEIPT!
    1999 S Type X200 V6 3L - Black with no added leaper, anything plastic is probably broken.
    1986 BMW 635 CSi S6 3.5L - Breaks if you don't use it, breaks if you do use it.
    2001 LR D2 ES V8 4L - The usual LR breakages, usually fixed with big hammer and some chain.
    2018 Merc A200 AMG Line - Daily Drive company car, Left the factory broken.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had looked at Eurocarparts and found they did one for 117 quid, which was why I went to Halfrauds. BUT I just found out Eurocarparts were doing a 37% weekend discount, which would have made them cheaper than Tayna! Gutted!

Just a thought: If you fit the wrong battery, won't the guarantee be void? I didn't in this instance, as I have painstakingly shown.
    Current since Oct 15: Gunmetal 2.5 Auto SE with black leather interior 17in wheels heated seats private plate (tasty!)
    Current 2 wheels: Vespa Sprint 125 (hey, its light, I can get it on and off the stand, and it doesn't try to kill me! Its also a whole lot of fun!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DrFutura View Post
    I have always thought that the battery on my X was the wrong one, but it worked so I did not bother. It was a Varta D59 60Ah one, too short and lower than the recommended 096 code one which is for 70 or more Ah and longer and taller. It is 4 and a half years since I bought the car with the Varta on it, so I suppose it does not owe me anything. I was going to drive down to Abergele to Tayna batteries (who are good and have good prices, also online with next day delivery for 8 quid), but the weather put me off as this wind is picking up (outside, not me, never touched the beans!) and Abergele is right above the coast. I tried the trick of connecting a booster thing to the cables so as not to have to faff with the radio code, but it pinged off when I tried to remove the battery. Anyway new battery on, code reset, no discernible electrical glitches, just 103 quid out of pocket as I decided to get one from Halfrauds (nearest). Tayna would have been about £80, I would have saved even with about 50 miles of petrol. Halfrauds did say their batteries are fully charged, but on the meter it only read 12.4V which I thought a bit low, so I gave half an hour on the charger before fitting. No doubt they can fester on the shelf in Halfrauds for ages.

I'm getting too old for this! The battery was flippin' heavy, and my back does not like leaning over engines any more.
    Doubly lucky you didn't eat the beans in the end. That 60AH battery wasn't really big enough. Yours must start well.

I've had an idea. When the battery is getting towards the warranty end, get it tested at halfords and tell them it let you down.

When they fail it, boom, free battery.
    Vehicle: : 2006 Black Jaguar X400 | 6 Speed Manual Transaxle - MMT6 | Series 60 | 2198ccm Duratorq 16V TC CF1 155HP 114KW 150PS - Puma | 4 Door Saloon. Upgrades: LED interior light | Leather gear gaiter | Solid wheel nuts Mileage: More than 200K miles. Owned since: January 2016 Special features: Attractive driver with GSOH.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag-Black View Post
    Doubly lucky you didn't eat the beans in the end. That 60AH battery wasn't really big enough. Yours must start well.

I've had an idea. When the battery is getting towards the warranty end, get it tested at halfords and tell them it let you down.

When they fail it, boom, free battery.
    You can tell them whatever you like but if their testing equipment says there's no manufacturing defect you can go whistle for it............
    "I know I'm a pessimist because my glass is always half empty...even when it's full".

2009 X-Type 2.2D Sovereign - Indigo Blue with Ivory Leather

Post Thanks / Like
    In my experience the Halfords warranty is as much use as a life belt on a duck.
    2001 3.0 SE Auto, Satnav, winter pack. Dark Blue, all the toys.
    2004 3.0 Sovereign Estate. Winter pack. Fixed. For Sale.
    2005 Estate X type 2.2 Sport.
    2000 V8 3.2 XJ8 LWB. "Prom" car. Lovely. Should sell this one too really...
    2005 "AllyCat", 3.0 XJ6 SE.
    2000 S type 4.0 V8. Latest toy.
    VFR800A and a VFR 800F

Still beating cancer. Trevor 2, Cancer 0.

Sure I took the Red pill....

7. Thanks fat controller thanked for this post
    Likes fat controller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero123 View Post
    You can tell them whatever you like but if their testing equipment says there's no manufacturing defect you can go whistle for it............
    Oh. I assumed their device always suggested a battery replacement.

9. Likes frankc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It isn't rocket science, and everyone should have a multimeter as they are surprisingly cheap. If you are a teacher, even cheaper "borrowed" from the physics department! You should not need some Halfrauds employee to tell you. To be honest my local Halfrauds used to be populated by thickos, but they have got better staff now. They did a downsizing of some shops a couple of years back I think. nevertheless, I don't fully trust them. I had to go with my daughter for her to get a new battery (in case she stopped on the way) last year. It was dark and cold so I paid the extra for the lad to do it in the dark, and he did a reasonable job. I didn't want to do it, as my eyesight is not what it used to be, and the poor sods fingers were white by the time he finished. Having said all this, I only use them for convenience if something is immediate, otherwise its good ol' fleabay for most parts and do it the old fashioned way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DrFutura View Post
    It isn't rocket science, and everyone should have a multimeter as they are surprisingly cheap. If you are a teacher, even cheaper "borrowed" from the physics department! You should not need some Halfrauds employee to tell you. To be honest my local Halfrauds used to be populated by thickos, but they have got better staff now. They did a downsizing of some shops a couple of years back I think. nevertheless, I don't fully trust them. I had to go with my daughter for her to get a new battery (in case she stopped on the way) last year. It was dark and cold so I paid the extra for the lad to do it in the dark, and he did a reasonable job. I didn't want to do it, as my eyesight is not what it used to be, and the poor sods fingers were white by the time he finished. Having said all this, I only use them for convenience if something is immediate, otherwise its good ol' fleabay for most parts and do it the old fashioned way.
    More like brain surgery? I bet my daughter hasn't got a multimeter, of have any idea what voltages to expect, or the concept of electrical current.

She is applying for a job at Halphords.

The other thing is that checking the battery voltage will not tell you much. A battery tester applys a load to the battery and watches the amps to see how quickly they fall under load.

12. Likes frankc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag-Black View Post
    More like brain surgery? I bet my daughter hasn't got a multimeter, of have any idea what voltages to expect, or the concept of electrical current.

She is applying for a job at Halphords.

The other thing is that checking the battery voltage will not tell you much. A battery tester applys a load to the battery and watches the amps to see how quickly they fall under load.
    Well maybe you need some help at first. A multimeter can check your voltage, but if you look at the voltage when the engine is running as well, it tells you if your alternator is on the fritz. These are just about the only things you can get from a multimeter, whether you have the understanding, or are the Halfrauds assistant. If the voltage is 14+ with the engine running, the alternator is ok. The job of the battery tester is then superflous, if you leave the vehicle overnight and it won't start, the battery is stuffed. (Sorry I'm a scientist, but it still isn't rocket science!)

14. Likes Jag-Black liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast