Thread: Tyre Advice

Post Thanks / Like

Tyre Advice

Evening all.

I’ve very recently acquired a 2003 XJ6 3.0 Sport Auto. It came shod with Hangkook Dynapro HP2 tyres all round, and still has more than sufficient tread depth that all things being equal I wouldn’t be looking to replace them anytime soon.

However, although hailing from Kent I now live and commute in Scotland’s Central Belt so all things are not equal - in the sense that Scottish weather and a 240 bhp engine / rear-wheel drive do not necessarily make the best combination. If I lived further north I’d definitely be inclined towards full winter tyres and switching them over to / from the existing summer tyres as required. Where I live is probably marginal as to whether that or all-seasons tyres are the better approach.

Does anybody - particularly those in the North of England / Borders / Central Belt who have the same sort of weather mix - have any recommendations?

(Tyre size is 235/50/R18.)

Any advice much appreciated.
    Current :

2003 (03) XJ6 3.0 Sport Auto

Previous :

2002 (52) X Type 2.5 Auto
    2005 (55) X Type 2.5 Sport Auto

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,
    I have just changed my tyres from budget ones that came with the car to Michelin Cross Climates. Not cheap but quiet with a good ride. If where you live is marginal , all weather ones should fit the bill. Honest John in the telegraph is a great fan of them!
    Cheers

3. Thanks b0mber1972 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hankook are making very good tyres these days so I would not ditch them just because they have an Eastern name. The Dynapro HP2 is an allweather tyre actually designed for powerful SUVs, whatever that means but has some perfectly acceptable results in the German mags. I would be surprised if those tyres are bad and as long as they are not too old, I would use them and carefully find out how good or bad they really are before throwing them out.

We have Hankook summer and winter tyres on our Tucson. Both are absolutely fine. The summers are OE fit. The winters tested marginally worse than the very best but were significantly cheaper. Apparently they have slightly worse wet performance than the very best but the difference is not easy to feel. As a comparison, we are also using Goodyear, Dunlop, Semperit and Pirelli winter tyres and they all work. These are not poor, cheap "Chinese" tyres.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 17k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 12k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

5. Thanks b0mber1972 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by madnessgonemad View Post
    Hi,
    I have just changed my tyres from budget ones that came with the car to Michelin Cross Climates. Not cheap but quiet with a good ride. If where you live is marginal , all weather ones should fit the bill. Honest John in the telegraph is a great fan of them!
    Cheers
    My 3.0 XJ6 had Pirellis fitted when I got it and they were not very confidence-inspiring in the wet. I changed them for Michelin Cross Climates and the difference is phenomenal. As madnessgonemad said, they are not cheap (£600 for 4, but with a 10% discount at Kwik Fit) but the ride is very good and quiet, and the grip in the wet is amazing. We haven't had any snow here around Newcastle yet so I can't comment on how they will perform in the really slippy stuff.

7. Thanks b0mber1972 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by b0mber1972 View Post
    Evening all.

I’ve very recently acquired a 2003 XJ6 3.0 Sport Auto. It came shod with Hangkook Dynapro HP2 tyres all round, and still has more than sufficient tread depth that all things being equal I wouldn’t be looking to replace them anytime soon.

Does anybody - particularly those in the North of England / Borders / Central Belt who have the same sort of weather mix - have any recommendations?

(Tyre size is 235/50/R18.)

Any advice much appreciated.
    I'm in the borders - actually, just in the England part.

Am currently on Pirellis in my XJR, but they're down to about 2mm and will need changing soon.

I went out and did 50 miles in the snow last night and can report that it's just as good fun as it always was - traction control firmly 'off'

If I never went on the track, I would fit the cheapest tyres I could find all round - mine's on 255s, which are way too wide for the weight and power of the car. I think I've properly got it sideways only once or twice in 60,000 miles. The difference at track speeds between cheapies and Pirelli PZeros is quite marked, which is why I'll be sticking with them

9. Thanks b0mber1972 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    Hankook are making very good tyres these days so I would not ditch them just because they have an Eastern name. The Dynapro HP2 is an allweather tyre actually designed for powerful SUVs, whatever that means but has some perfectly acceptable results in the German mags. I would be surprised if those tyres are bad and as long as they are not too old, I would use them and carefully find out how good or bad they really are before throwing them out.

We have Hankook summer and winter tyres on our Tucson. Both are absolutely fine. The summers are OE fit. The winters tested marginally worse than the very best but were significantly cheaper. Apparently they have slightly worse wet performance than the very best but the difference is not easy to feel. As a comparison, we are also using Goodyear, Dunlop, Semperit and Pirelli winter tyres and they all work. These are not poor, cheap "Chinese" tyres.

I’d simply not appreciated that the HP2 was intended as an all-weather tyre. Just goes to show what I know. I certainly wouldn’t have assumed that from examining them when buying the car - the tread pattern was pretty conventional and not the characteristic ‘chevron’ sort of tread pattern I’d expect. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt and see how they perform. Thanks for your response.
    Current :

Previous :

11. Thanks Neilr thanked for this post
    Likes Neilr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to all for your comments. Given the revelation that the current tyres are all-season I’ll carry on with them and then reassess as next winter is approaching - with Michelin Cross Climates seeming to get the popular vote here.
    Current :

Previous :

Post Thanks / Like

Plus one vote for Michellin cross climate

Quote Originally Posted by b0mber1972 View Post
    Thanks to all for your comments. Given the revelation that the current tyres are all-season I’ll carry on with them and then reassess as next winter is approaching - with Michelin Cross Climates seeming to get the popular vote here.
    I have had four on my XJR the last 15 months and am very impressed.

In a heavy wet snowfall which was impassable in normal hatchbacks the jag was very happy and surefooted. A local road with a slight sloping hill was closed with jammed cars overnight till the army came to sort things out, I was able to proceed with no fuss around it on back roads eliciting some interesting looks from the odd 4 by 4 driver!
    Jaguar XJR, 2004, Midnight Black
    Porsche 911 Carrera 2 996 1998, also in Black

14. Thanks b0mber1972 thanked for this post