Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Ingress issue... still a problem, do I need an extended warranty?

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Water Ingress issue... still a problem, do I need an extended warranty?

Hello all,
    I will just explain why I am asking the water ingress issue.

My 2017 XF is about to come to the end of the 3 year Jaguar Warranty (9th March 2020). I do not know if to extend it or not. Given there are 1,2 or 3 year plans if I did extend could I do 1 year at a time, although it will cost?

Reading many posts the thinking seems to be most warranties don't cover what you need so put money in a safe place instead.

So.... looking at risks that might be an expensive repair, I came across the 'dreaded water ingress' which affected the facelift XF.

Does anyone know when the part(s) were changed so this was no longer a potential problem, or is it still?

What early signs should I be looking for this water ingress.... apart from feeling the foot-well carpet each time for damp?

Mine is an XF registered March 2017 .... has done 35,000 miles.... will this/could this problem still occur for me?

Thank you for any helpful information/advice on know potential problems or on the extended warranty.

Thank you...

Smarty

I do love my Jag and it does get good general economy... until I relax and think 'I have got my Jag, at last'..... then my brain starts grinning and my right foot thinks, what the point of having a Jag and staying toe up? Then my economy like my foot goes down.....

My Jaguar is - XF Portfolio 2.0 2017 Diesel
    I also have a SWB Ford Transit for our dogs (5 Newfoundands and 2 English Cocker Spaniels)

Post Thanks / Like
    Watch very carefully what is excluded in any warranty. I have had Jaguar warranties before and they seem to exclude everything that has ever gone wrong.
    2067 plate XF 3.0TD-V6 Sport Sportbrake, another ex-demonstrator with all the toys.

2013 XF Sportbrake 3.0TD-V6 Premium Luxury. All the toys that were available.

Previous Jag's. 2001 2.5V6 X type SE Saloon & 2008 2.2TDi X type Sovereign Estate.

3. Thanks Smarty thanked for this post
    Likes Smarty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There must be a solution for this water ingress... isn't it clear what causes it and what to check and do in order to prevent it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi MDCCCLXXXIV,

1884?

Richard,
    2017 XE Portfolio 180PS AWD in Santorini Black with climate pack (I don't scrape!) panoramic roof, privacy glass and 19" style 1015 wheels (that I'd happily swap for a nice set of 18" 5 spokes. Anyone?)

6. Likes MDCCCLXXXIV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Or 1st August 1984?
    Current steed - 2017 XF 2.0d [180] Portfolio in Rosello Red with more toys than Hamleys.....

ex - 2002 X-Type 2.5 V6; 1995 XJ Sport 3.2; 1998 Mercedes C180 Elegance; VW Passat 2.0TDI (140); Audi A4 Avant 2.0TDI; Nissan Qashqai 1.5dCi; 2007 XJ 4.2 V8 Sovereign; and very occasionally an Electric Wheelchair!

It wasn't me! A big boy done it and ran away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fat controller View Post
    Or 1st August 1984?
    I'm having a blonde day, help me out FC!
    2017 XE Portfolio 180PS AWD in Santorini Black with climate pack (I don't scrape!) panoramic roof, privacy glass and 19" style 1015 wheels (that I'd happily swap for a nice set of 18" 5 spokes. Anyone?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarty View Post
    Hello all,
    I will just explain why I am asking the water ingress issue.

My 2017 XF is about to come to the end of the 3 year Jaguar Warranty (9th March 2020). I do not know if to extend it or not. Given there are 1,2 or 3 year plans if I did extend could I do 1 year at a time, although it will cost?

Reading many posts the thinking seems to be most warranties don't cover what you need so put money in a safe place instead.

So.... looking at risks that might be an expensive repair, I came across the 'dreaded water ingress' which affected the facelift XF.

Does anyone know when the part(s) were changed so this was no longer a potential problem, or is it still?

What early signs should I be looking for this water ingress.... apart from feeling the foot-well carpet each time for damp?

Mine is an XF registered March 2017 .... has done 35,000 miles.... will this/could this problem still occur for me?

Thank you for any helpful information/advice on know potential problems or on the extended warranty.

Thank you...

Smarty

I do love my Jag and it does get good general economy... until I relax and think 'I have got my Jag, at last'..... then my brain starts grinning and my right foot thinks, what the point of having a Jag and staying toe up? Then my economy like my foot goes down.....

Is this something that you are actually experiencing or just worried about in future?

Post Thanks / Like
    No all dry at the moment, just looking at the worse case for potential problems.

I think I will leave the extended warranty and put money aside each month in an e-account. This is what we do for our 5 x large breed dogs instead of pet insurance to cover any sudden problems.... (it now sits around a float of £1000 )

I have extended the incontrol secure thingy, which was £36 so not too bad.

I will get an additional warranty for three months, when the Jaguar 3 year one runs out so will still have some cover. (Negotiated when I bought the car)

On speaking with Jaguar and their warranty company they use, if I want to go back to Jaguar for manufactures extended warranty I can but will have to get a Jaguar garage to do a multipoint inspection (current quote fixed price in Crewe, is £150) before they will take the vehicle back on.

While chatting to the lovely lady at the Jaguar in Crewe (really helpful/professional and pleasant) I was told as part of the national 5 year or 100,000 miles plan my next service is all paid for and have MOT fail cover up to £750. Also she checked to make sure I have no recalls outstanding.

Sorry for rambling on...

Smarty
    My Jaguar is - XF Portfolio 2.0 2017 Diesel
    I also have a SWB Ford Transit for our dogs (5 Newfoundands and 2 English Cocker Spaniels)

Post Thanks / Like
    Pays to have peace of mind! I got an extended warranty purely because there's so many gizmos to go wrong, not any specific issue such as water ingress

12. Likes Smarty, fat controller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had the Gold Extended Warranty with my X Type. What a complete waste of money that was.

I had a water leak into the rear wheel well that destroyed the rear parking sensor module.

The seal was declared as a natural deterioration so wasn't covered.

The water was declared as an an act of God so wasn't covrered.

The electrical failure wasn't covered.

If you read the warranty fully, it only really covers catastrophic failure of the engine and gearbox, and even then most failures aren't covered.

The new XF developed a leak in the Ad-Blu pipe. Jaguar tried to tell me that Ad Blu is naturally corrosive until I proved that the wear was from the outside of the pipe.

Read through some of these posts and some guys have experienced transfer box failure. Jaguar have got out of that one because they have changed their tyres.
    2067 plate XF 3.0TD-V6 Sport Sportbrake, another ex-demonstrator with all the toys.

2013 XF Sportbrake 3.0TD-V6 Premium Luxury. All the toys that were available.

Previous Jag's. 2001 2.5V6 X type SE Saloon & 2008 2.2TDi X type Sovereign Estate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast