Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smelly heater/aircon

Post Thanks / Like

Smelly heater/aircon

Hi guys. My first post on this forum. I have a 2013 2.2 XF. My car interior is smelly and I recognize the smell from previous cars as dirty heater/air con. I've tried cleaner bombs twice without success and have sprayed antibacterial cleaner into the heater inlet again with no success. These have both worked very well on previous cars. I'm beginning to think it may be the a/c evaporator drain tube/tubes blocked but I can't find them. So a simple question. Where are they?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi when my XF started to smell it was the cabin filter . The drain on the air intake was partially blocked and heavy rain the filter to get soaked , as was the carpet in the passenger foot well . Might be worth a check as it an easy fix . Cant help with the evaporator drain though . Let us know if and when you find it .
    Good luck .
    The secret of flight is to aim at the ground and miss !

2013 Sportbrake 2.2 Sport. Italian Racing Red

3. Likes JimC64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As Phil says, check the pollen filter!!!

All too often these are overlooked, in fact for the most part always overlooked as essential maintenance

An old, tired, dirty and or wet pollen filter will give the symptoms you describe, cost around £12 or so depending on which one you go for and an easy change if you haven't done so already

Jim
    My_XJ_X351_ownership_thread

My_XJ_X358_ownership_thread

Wife's_X_type

MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Ultimate Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia, Remote boot mod and illuminated treadplates added, currently at 53k miles
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors 95k miles

Post Thanks / Like
    Just an after thought. You did have the air recirculating valve shut when you used the Aircon bombs ? It's easy to overlook .
    The secret of flight is to aim at the ground and miss !

2013 Sportbrake 2.2 Sport. Italian Racing Red

Post Thanks / Like

Feeling346

Quote Originally Posted by Phil F View Post
    Just an after thought. You did have the air recirculating valve shut when you used the Aircon bombs ? It's easy to overlook .
    Hello guys. The pollen filter was the first thing I changed and that made no difference. Secondly I did have the system on recirculation when I used the Aircon bombs. The other thing is that I've not seen the telltale drop of water on the road under the car when I've been using the aircon recently. So yesterday I put the car up on ramps, removed the underbody shield and searched for the drain tube/tubes without success.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Feeling346 View Post
    Hello guys. The pollen filter was the first thing I changed and that made no difference. Secondly I did have the system on recirculation when I used the Aircon bombs. The other thing is that I've not seen the telltale drop of water on the road under the car when I've been using the aircon recently. So yesterday I put the car up on ramps, removed the underbody shield and searched for the drain tube/tubes without success.
    Hi, can you use some type of thin but fairly rigid plastic tube and go in from under the bonnet, try and push any obstruction down. Phil
    2008 XF Luxury 2.7D, Azure Blue/Dove Grey, Jaguar Voice, Mirror Pack, Winter Pack, DAB Radio, Keyless Entry, Owned from new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi philayl1. You may have missed the start of this post in which I said I couldn't find the drain tubes and was asking anybody if they new for certain where they were. They are clearly not visible from under the bonnet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Feeling346 View Post
    Hi philayl1. You may have missed the start of this post in which I said I couldn't find the drain tubes and was asking anybody if they new for certain where they were. They are clearly not visible from under the bonnet.
    On mine any discharge from the air con lands on the floor in exactly the same place as the scuttle drains, I always assumed that the pipes combined somewhere. Phil
    2008 XF Luxury 2.7D, Azure Blue/Dove Grey, Jaguar Voice, Mirror Pack, Winter Pack, DAB Radio, Keyless Entry, Owned from new.

Post Thanks / Like
    The evaporator drains under the vehicle at the front of the gearbox.
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. When the weather gets better I'll get underneath the car and have another look. I'm not sure how I managed to miss it the first time I looked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast