Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2007 Sovereign 2.7D Exhaust Fumes in Cabin

Post Thanks / Like

2007 Sovereign 2.7D Exhaust Fumes in Cabin

Hi all,

4 Weeks ago I purchased a nice 2007 XJ X358 with the 2.7 Diesel Engine and approx. 60.000mls
    Rigth from the beginning the exhaust fumes from the engine bay were significant, and I studied/inspected the cause for this.
    As usual with this engine, both downpipe flex parts were broken and I replaced them with the repair kit from the U.K.
    I'm sure that those connections are now tight.

However, there are still coming exhaust gas fumes into the cabin, when e.g. standing inside a traffic jam. Currently we have around 5°C outside temp in Germany and I read about the pre-heater probably installed in the car...

Question: what else other than the Downpipes do i need to check for exhaust leaks on this engine?

BR
    Ralf

PS: Last weekend I replaced Timing Belt and Water Pump, just to be on the safe side, so I already made some progress keeping this beauty up and running.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have a "Fuel Burning Heater", then that would seem to be the obvious next place to check, as it runs on the diesel fuel. However, I don't know much about these as my previous couple of X350s were petrol. Whose downpipe repair kits did you use, aftermarket or Jaguar. Only the Jaguar kit has a flxible section, the others use straight pipes
    Fleet manager (!!) of: -
    XE Portfolio 180 AWD 2017
    VW New Beetle 2009
    MG Midget 1500 1977
    MG TF 135 2010

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Fraser,

I assume the Fuel Burning Heater is located somewhere in the left front section of the car? I thought I read this in another thread.

And yes: I used the U.K. aftermarket straight pipes version, as I found the 900€ Jaguar solution too expensive not to try the cheaper option.

Member alan@agilecomputers.co.uk's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dougie,

Congratulations on becoming a proud XJ owner, and welcome to the forum! The Webasto heater is located front left as you look at the front of the car, at least it is on UK spec' right hand drive models. On very cold starts, you should see the fumes coming from around the front offside wheel arch, but this usually only runs for a short period until the engine warms up. If the smell of fumes persists after warm up, it suggests it's something else. There are aftermarket Cat Converter flexi repair kits available around £230 for both sides, with Berkshire Jag Components describing them having 'the essential flexible neck joint'.

https://www.berkshirejagcomponents.c...13-c2x26492844

Not sure if the non-flexi straight through kit causes other stresses in the exhaust system that could potentially cause leaks and fumes to escape, but I guess the original pipes had the flexi neck joints for a reason? Maybe others here have direct experience of using the type of repair kit you have and can offer some insight on their effectiveness? Failing that, I guess you'll need to inspect all the pipework on the exhaust side to turbos, EGR valves etc. to check for leaks. Being a diesel, it should be easier to spot any leaks from the soot that'll have escaped onto components in and around the engine bay. As you've done the timing belt kit and Cat Converter repairs, it sounds like you're pretty handy so I hope you get it resolved soon - good luck.

Regards,
    Alan
    XJ Sovereign 2.7 TDVi, January 2008, Indigo Blue Pearl

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks a lot for the greetings, Alan!

Unfortunately I did not came across your proposed repair kit with the flexible neck joints. Otherwise I would have certainly taken them instead of the straight ones. My assumption was that they try to protect the Filters from exessive engine vibration. In case it should turn out, that the one I used cause problems, I will change them.

But first of all I need to find the cause for the continued exhaust fumes. I can't believe its the fuel-fired heater, as this one should not be active when the car fully warmed up.

I also bought an 2003 XKR Convertible from California early last year. There the flexible Pipe to the EGR was broken, causing the same effect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking through the Electrical Guide I see that the FFH is supplied from F21 in the engine compartment fuse box so ... by removing that fuse you should be able eliminate the possibility that it's fumes from the FFH, whatever the external air temperature or engine temperature.
    Last edited by Partick the Cat; 28-02-20 at 11:42.
    "The jaguar is a compact and well-muscled animal." (Wikipedia on Panthera Onca)
    2008 XJ Sovereign 2.7 Tdvi,
    LWB, Sunroof, 19" Polaris, Botanical Green
    2008 Hyundai Getz 1.4
    Previous: 2004 Hyundai Getz; 1990 Merc 190E 2.6; 1987 Nissan Prairie ... 1954 Mk-C 197cc Bond Minicar

7. Thanks xkr_dougie thanked for this post
    Likes xkr_dougie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good point!

I only have the X350 Electrical guide model year 2003..... can you maybe point me to the guide for the X358? It seems there are some significant differences for Model year 2007.
    I can't locate the engine compartment fuse box and also F21 is not used in that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

10. Thanks xkr_dougie, WoodB thanked for this post
    Likes xkr_dougie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got it! Great! Thank you so much, Jimbo!

It's called "FRONT POWER DISTRIBUTION FUSE BOX" ... therefore I was irritated... Will immediateley check when the wife is back again with the car!

12. Thanks Jimbov8 thanked for this post
    Likes Jimbov8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    personally I have never understood why flex joints were needed between the turbo and cat, given that the cats are firmly bolted to the engine block (or maybe it was transmission) anyway.
    The only reason that I can think is in case the exhaust manifold and turbo expands differently to the block and the flex is to take this up?
    anyway it's certainly not for allowing the exhaust system to move around because that would have to be after the cats anyway

14. Likes xkr_dougie liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast