Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.0 Litre V8 Timing Chain issues

Post Thanks / Like

5.0 Litre V8 Timing Chain issues

I have seen on various internet sites comments about the 2012 to 2014 V8 engine having a problem with timing chain adjusters needing replacement around 80k or worse failing and destroying the engine.

There is legal action going on in the USA but what I am interested in is forum members own experience of this problem, is it a rarity or are you pretty much guarenteed to need expensive mods / repairs.

Have any of you been unlucky enough to suffered this problem?

I ask because I am thinking of changing my car, a 2009 5.0 V8 XF Portfolio, for something V8 and newer ie around 2012 or 13. My car has been great and with only 65k on the clock has bags of life left and it would be galling to splash out a load of cash on a newer car that is less reliable than the one I have.
    2009 XF 5.0 V8 Portfolio. One of The 67
    2007 S Type SE Diesel (Sold)
    2002 X Type Sport 3.0 (Sold)

Senior Member Big cat little cat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had a 2010 XF Portfolio 5.0. It had been making a 'funny' noise on warm start up for some time. Fine on cold start, and fine all the rest of the time. I took it to a few places for diagnosis, some indies for JLR and all said the same. It's the timing chain tensioner rattle. A well known issue with these engines.

You perhaps know what happens? but basically the chain guide is aluminium, the tensioner pressing against it under oil pressure is steel. After a while the constant pressure of the steel on the aluminium causes an indent, thus allowing the chain guide to reduce the tension on the chain. The noise is the chain guide rattling momentarily on the chain. Left unchecked the engine will fail because the chain can jump a tooth on the gears.

Engine failure = blank cheque?
    Replace the faulty parts with new parts (have they been redesigned? Nobody seems to know). Engine out job on an XF = £3500 to £4000.

I sold mine cheap before it failed. I do miss it but feel now nervous about buying another 5.0 V8 due to this poor design flaw. It had 120k miles on it.
    Just when you think you can see a light at the end of the tunnel,
    you find that it's just someone with a torch bringing you some more work!

XF 5.0 Portfolio.
    X-type 3.0 Sport Premium Estate Auto.

Link to retro fit cruise control for 2004-on AWD cars here. http://www.jaguarforum.co.uk/f26/ret...+control+retro

Post Thanks / Like
    It is more likely to affect the earlier 5.0 V8's from 2009 onwards from what I read.

Presuming that the tensioner and guide set up were updated on later cars ?
    2003 S-Type 2.5 Sport automatic,platinum silver / warm charcoal (gone)
    2004 Subaru Impreza STi Type UK (now gone as well)
    2006 S-Type R Midnight / warm charcoal
    2015 XE 'S' 3.0 V6 S/Charger Italian racing red / pimento+jet
    2004 XJR Platinum / warm charcoal

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Voices View Post
    It is more likely to affect the earlier 5.0 V8's from 2009 onwards from what I read.

Presuming that the tensioner and guide set up were updated on later cars ?
    My understanding is that early engines are fine but later, post 2012, engines had a modified tensioner which is problematic. Confusion reigns and what we need is clarity, anything official from Jaguar ?
    2009 XF 5.0 V8 Portfolio. One of The 67
    2007 S Type SE Diesel (Sold)
    2002 X Type Sport 3.0 (Sold)

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the problem. Nobody knows.

The earlier XF is probably better because it has the later 4.2 V8, which was better than the earlier 4.2 I think. But the later XF with the earlier 5.0 seems to be the problem, but did the later 5.0 get improved? Confused?!

It seems to be a mystery.

Somebody at the factory floor level must know when they started fitting the modified chain guides? I understand that the mod was to afix a steel insert at the point where the two metals meet. I have never seen one and can find no answer anywhere as to if/when this fault was ever cured.

XF 5.0 Portfolio.

Link to retro fit cruise control for 2004-on AWD cars here. http://www.jaguarforum.co.uk/f26/ret...+control+retro

Post Thanks / Like
    You read about plenty of problems with 5.0's from 2009 onwards, it doesn't just affect later ones.

One of our Jaguar master techs at work bought a 2011 XK convertible with engine issues to fix and resell.

He has had massive problems with it, even after fitting the latest chain and tensioner set up and he is wishing he never bothered !

I quite fancy an XFR, but the budget will only stretch to an early one (if I want to keep my other 3 Jags as well), it is the paranoia about this issue that is putting me off.

I will see if i can find any info when we are back at work, see if there are any technical bulletins or advisories that shed any light on the issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by leddfutt View Post
    My understanding is that early engines are fine but later, post 2012, engines had a modified tensioner which is problematic. Confusion reigns and what we need is clarity, anything official from Jaguar ?
    The later tensioner was introduced to solve the issue on the earlier engines !

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a look on the SNG Barratt parts system (it mirrors what we use at work)

https://www.sngbarratt.com/English/#...assembly/14575

This link to the part numbers and assembly diagram shows that the 5.0 engines used two different types of timing chain:

'Tsubaki' chains on earlier VIN numbers and 'INA' chain system on later VIN's.

The part numbers for the guides and tensioners are also VIN specific.

I wonder if some of the confusion regarding 'uprated' chains and tensioners is because people (myself included) have been assuming that the 'newer' set up was an upgrade, rather than a change of supplier ?

There is some interesting info in this link regarding the differences in the chain setup:
    https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...cement-213881/

9. Thanks #steve thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very interesting and scary at the same time.

I am doing oil changes every 6000 miles hoping clean fresh oil will help.
    2010 Jaguar XJL V8 Portfolio.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by #steve View Post
    I am doing oil changes every 6000 miles hoping clean fresh oil will help.
    It can't do any harm, seem to remember that Jaguar changed the oil spec from 5/20 to 0/20 or something like that (best check). The oil is not necessarily the problem though, as I understand it it's the steel part being constantly pressed onto the softer aluminium part. Over time (120k in my case) it increases the tolerance of the chain tension to the point where it's too slack. No amount of oil changing will prevent that.

Such a shame because I'll not buy another one because of the worry of it happening again, but in a few years time the big V8 will be a thing resigned to the history books and I'll wished I'd owned mine for longer, or owned another.
    Same problem occurs with the Range Rover with the same engine, that's just easier to work on!

XF 5.0 Portfolio.

12. Likes #steve liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast