Page 1 of 129 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Post Thanks / Like

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2002 X-Type 2.5 V6
    Upgrades: Mina Inserts HID+LED+DRL Chrome Mirror Caps/Petrol Flap/Sleeves Clear Markers/Repeaters REMIN/RVINYL Carbon-Fiber Trim Facelift Plinth NGK Red Tail Tips H&R SS Sport Edition F10 17x8 G-MAX RS 225x45ZR17 Silver Calipers w/Decal Drilled/Slotted Rotors EBC/Red Stuff K&N 2-Tone GL Steering Wheel Cover Sheepskin Inserts Alum Pedals/Dead HR Leaper SP Lights Infotainment: iSimple TranzIt BLU HF Sony XDP-MU110 DSP 8-Speaker+JBL BassPro SL WiFi Dash-Cam CR93 Laser Detector

Post Thanks / Like
    Does this update cure my hot start problem? I may need to self isolate the car as she's been coughing and wheezing a bit when hot

3. Likes XMan2002, RWD3M liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

CORONAVIRUS (Covid-19)

Here is a perhaps a long overdue thread for your specific views and opinions on Covid-19. Are you turning a blind eye? Are you not wanting to confront it head-on? Either way you must have a view.

Let's not spread too much gloom and doom but as Boris has recently declared "this is the worst public health crisis for a generation" and there is neither evidence nor reason to disagree.

Whether we might think it or not the collateral damage of this global pandemic is going to be significant. The effect on small businesses is going to be of consequence which, in turn, will surely impinge upon the social activity and habits of everyone for a while to come.

The effect on not only domestic financial markets but also global markets is going to be marked and unpredictable, it cannot be ignored. Investments, pensions, international market interactions are going to be hit and may take a while to recover.

On a more personal theme both my offspring work in London, my daughter lives in London and my son commutes, and they are both noticing a change in attitude amongst travellers and workers of all ages. Thankfully my two are both fit and well and so not in a 'vulnerable' medical state unlike many of us on here who are of an age to be considered potentially 'at risk' given known or maybe as yet unknown underlying medical issues, added to which is a naturally reduced immune system.

I suggest that we do not make light of what lies ahead, hang on to your hats for this a virus without a means of immunity ... yet!!
    2005 (55) X-type 2.0d S saloon ~ Zircon/Champagne/Belize.

5. Thanks Villanova27 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am very concerned about this virus and it's spread.

You will all be aware that my 'er indoors is currently halfway through a course of chemotherapy and this works by attacking the immune system within her body,so becoming infected by this virus will be difficult for 'er to deal with.

Personally,I have sat at my computer and watched the LSE fall with mounting horror,as a 'retail' investor I'm not very good at selecting what to buy and when to sell but have worked over the years on the basis that over time the market will rise....so as a specific stock rises 10% I'll sell and re-invest the original capital,when the 'profit' is enough to enable me to buy an extra 'line' I have done so. Over the last year I have bought only FTSE 100 listed stock on the basis that I should receive a dividend income as well.

Other capital is invested via ISA's in 'structured products' that run upto 8 or 10 years,paying out,or 'kicking out' to use the correct term,if the linked index performs as expected.Not too worried here,history shows me that the FTSE always rises over time.But given the current index level,the three year old plan that I expected to 'kick out' this April will not do so!
    We will not starve,but the 'extras' may need to be trimmed back a little!
    2000 S Type manual(now sold and replaced with a Transit Connect that ate it's engine in Spain and replaced with another Connect known as the Micro Stealth Camper) BMW E30 cabbie in the very rare neon green colour and a Nissan Micra for 'er indoors!

Post Thanks / Like
    If (and currently it is a rather big if), if this is a serious as is being suggested then yes I am worried - not least as I would be classed as high risk due to my own quite recent medical history.

However, the numbers are not stacking up for me. Why are we, globally, reacting the way we are to this virus when the flu kills a lot more people on an almost annual basis? The governments chief scientific adviser is on the Beeb as I write, and has said that 30,000 people have been tested, 590 are positive - - - that is 1.9% of those tested are positive. 10 people have died, so that is a mortality rate of 1.7% (of those positive) or 0.03% (of those tested).

590 people out of a population of over 60 million is a very small number.

For perspective, in the winter of 2017/2018 just under 30,000 people died of flu - so why are we seeing global markets crashing and the world going into a tailspin over this one, but not the flu?

And if it is as bad as it is being made out to be, why were things not done faster and harder? When China started with this in January, why did the rest of the world not simply ban all non-essential travel at that point? If it is that bad, why are we still allowing sporting events to carry on? If it that bad, why are we still allowing folks to jet off on holiday or cruises?

If there was a genuine desire to stop this virus, a lot more would be being done, so currently I call bollocks
    Current steed - 2017 XF 2.0d [180] Portfolio in Rosello Red with more toys than Hamleys.....

ex - 2002 X-Type 2.5 V6; 1995 XJ Sport 3.2; 1998 Mercedes C180 Elegance; VW Passat 2.0TDI (140); Audi A4 Avant 2.0TDI; Nissan Qashqai 1.5dCi; 2007 XJ 4.2 V8 Sovereign; and very occasionally an Electric Wheelchair!

It wasn't me! A big boy done it and ran away.

8. Likes Faltwen, 1955davidr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My wife takes medication that has resulted in her having virtually no immune system, my mothers (86) residential home sent me an e-mail yesterday stating that no visits for the foreseeable future.
    And we have booked and paid for ferry and accommodation in Spain in May.
    The girls at the local shop were panicking that the schools were going to close as they would have to put their children with grandparents while they were at work.
    Yes we are concerned but I believe the way we are approaching the virus is the right way.
    When you look at the mortality rates for the flu, prostate cancer, deaths on our roads etc, I do believe that what was said at the PM's news briefing yesterday was exactly what is need at this time.
    2007 Slate Grey 4.2 XK-R Convertible
    Jagwrangler one touch roof and rear windows mod. Rear spoiler antenna and boot lid amplifier upgrade. Fuse 19 switch installed discretely below dash/steering wheel. Red stuff brake pads. Replacement white "R" caliper decals.

Post Thanks / Like
    This virus cannot be stopped which is the crux of the whole thing, therein lies the problem. Which is also why it is so different to our normal winter 'flu, against which one can queue up for a jab and your immune system should cope.

I'm of the view that it's the fear of the unknown that is causing such uncertainty and it is that very uncertainty that will ultimately change lives.

Admittedly the symptoms & effects of this virus on many people will only seem like, or perhaps be even less than, having a bout of 'flu and hopefully (but not yet confirmed) once you've had it you won't get it again.

Quote Originally Posted by fat controller View Post
    If there was a genuine desire to stop this virus, a lot more would be being done, so currently I call bollocks

So yeah, bollocks is one subjective perhaps even self-comforting way of looking at it but the way it's going I shall be surprised if the virus itself does not eventually influence the life of either you or at the very least someone you know which might, only just might, change your view.
    2005 (55) X-type 2.0d S saloon ~ Zircon/Champagne/Belize.

11. Likes Ian D, Villanova27, seagull liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It may well do, but is it not a bit early to start with the 'end is nigh' stuff? This has all been said before - Ebola, Zika, SARS, MERS and so on, and thy were all resolved/conquered.

All us mere mortals can do is be sensible, exercise good common hygiene, and hope. If you are going to get it, you are going to get it, and there is little can be done to prevent it
    Current steed - 2017 XF 2.0d [180] Portfolio in Rosello Red with more toys than Hamleys.....

ex - 2002 X-Type 2.5 V6; 1995 XJ Sport 3.2; 1998 Mercedes C180 Elegance; VW Passat 2.0TDI (140); Audi A4 Avant 2.0TDI; Nissan Qashqai 1.5dCi; 2007 XJ 4.2 V8 Sovereign; and very occasionally an Electric Wheelchair!

It wasn't me! A big boy done it and ran away.

13. Likes Jimbov8, Rhyl46 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    1000 dead in just a few weeks in Italy, mass graves spotted in Iran (they wont admit how bad it is over there)

I'm starting to think this may become a problem
    S TYPE R 2003
    BMW M3 EVOLUTION 1998
    You can not beat me in a argument
    I am too stupid to know when I am beaten

Post Thanks / Like
    There is no doubt that this nasty virus is affecting, and will continue to disrupt, our daily lives.

Wife and I live in Western Spain; daughter and family in Madrid; son and family in Yorkshire.
    We also have family and friends in SE England.
    So, at the very least, travel restrictions do, and will, affect our visits.
    So that is the mobility aspect.

Whilst there may be an inflated sense of doom in the media, cutting through the hype, and seeking the official lines from "experts" in many countries, it would appear to be a serious matter and with many unknowns.
    Whether, in the long run, it proves to be more evil than the constantly mutating influenza virus which kills many each year, is another matter.

The health issue is different in many ways for us.
    Firstly, we are in our seventies!
    Vulnerability is obvious.
    Our grandchildren are young, fit and healthy, so we hope they would just be inconvenienced, if infected.
    Our Son, daughter and their spouses are in their forties, so, again not high risk.
    Some friends are, as you would expect, in our age group, so concern there.

The authorities here in Spain are tackling the outbreaks locally, by restrictions placed on each province that are affected.
    But some decrees are nationally implemented.

As for business and financial matters, all our immediate family are getting hit, but also in different ways.
    Son and daughter each run, hitherto thriving, businesses in the UK and Spain and Africa; daughter's being international.
    Import and export restrictions seem mainly related to the shock on the economies of different countries.
    The Madrid schools and universities are all shut, so some of daughter's employees are having to deal with kids at home or being farmed out.
    Investments, which had recovered to a major extent after the slaughter in and around 2008, are haemorrhaging again as I write.
    The pound, for some inexplicable reason is coming off worse than the euro, which totally stuffs me.

Daily life for us thus far, sees very little change, here in wild Western Spain; no silly shelf clearance nor shortages in the supermarkets, and not a face mask in sight.
    We have decided to mitigate risk by shopping every fortnight, instead of our usual more casual ad hoc approach.
    Being retired and our activities mostly revolving around work on our own land means we carry on as usual, but who knows what the future holds!
    The world is my lobster! (with a few Coronavirus restrictions)
    Workhorse: "Ounce" - White Jag X-Type Estate 2.2D 2009 Executive auto.
    Fun: "La Gata Negra" - All black (Haria) Pug RCZ 2.0 HDI 2014 Swiss spec fully loaded.
    Runabout: "Purple People Eater" - Purple Pug 108 1.2 PureTech 2016 Top fully loaded.
    Sack shifter: "Animal" - Dirty Linhai 300 4x4 ATV 2007.

16. Likes E30MW liked this post
Page 1 of 129 123451151101 ... LastLast