Thread: Cleaning the Engine Compartment

Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning the Engine Compartment

Not seeing any tips about cleaning the engine compartment of the F-Type, I thought I'd ask if there are any caveats before I go taking a brush and sprayer under the hood. How do you guys keep the engine compartment clean? Is there anything I need to cover up or avoid getting wet before unleashing the water?
    Arrogance is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey there, congrats on the F type, lucky devil, great cars

Re engine cleaning, not too much to worry about generally speaking, here's some general ideas below that may find useful

DON'T use a pressure washer or garden hose on the engine ( sounds like you're ahead of the game on that anyway )

Here's the way I tackle mine with a few ideas / suggestions and pics below

I use the following....
    Either a 1" or 2" paintbrush
    Have some older disposable rags handy and some cleaner microfibers too
    A spray bottle of your favourite APC ( All purpose cleaner ) and or light degreaser ( Dish soap such as Fairy Liquid or Dawn will work just as well )
    Autoglym Vinyl and rubber
    A sponge to apply Autoglym Vinyl and rubber

Here's my old X358 engine bay

Better still, a quick before and after on my sons old Renault Clio from some years ago, big difference
    Before...

After....

I found that by working inwards to outside worked best and so started by firstly cleaning the underside of the bonnet
    Then cleaned the depths of the engine as far as I could reach, working upwards and outwards

Spraying and then agitating with the brush to get into all the little nooks and crannies, wiping with the rag and then drying off, working upwards and outwards.
    Once all the cleaning / drying was done it was a simple case of spraying the Autoglym vinyl and rubber on the hoses and black plastics and working in with a sponge before a quick gentle wipe over to remove any excess

Probably take around 1 and a half to 2 hours maximum, then stand back and admire your handiwork

Hope it helps and look forward to seeing your results

Jim
    My_XJ_X351_ownership_thread

My_XJ_X358_ownership_thread

Wife's_X_type

MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

3. Likes LesDean liked this post