Thread: 1986 XJ6 Fuel Return Mystery

Post Thanks / Like

1986 XJ6 Fuel Return Mystery

I purchased a 1986 XJ3 a while back. Saw it in an adjoining town just sitting there with a for sale sign on it. Contacted the owner and it was cheaply priced. I bought it as it only had 75,000 miles on the odometer. On the way home I filled both gas tanks because it didn't have enough gas to drive home. ON the way home I noticed a got a few waves. Did not fully realize why, until I got home and noticed I was trailing gasoline as far as I could see. Did a little reading and figured it was the return solenoids that were responsible. So ordered them. I got one installed on the left drivers side. But then got busy and never got the right one installed until yesterday. Took the cover off and noticed that the solenoid was there and not hooked to any wires!!! Looked for the wires and could not see them ANYWHERE!!! Thus the dilemma!! Where were the wires routed? Can anyone tell me? Surely it did not come from the factory this way or did it??
    I could sure use some help from any of you. I guess I could splice onto the wires going to the left solenoid in order to perhaps fix the problem. But will not be original of course. Sure has my curiosity up of why no wires? Did someone remove them and if so why? Can't see where they might have even come from. The '86 & '87 were wired the same weren't they? Both return solenoids were wired together isn't that correct? Please help if you can ~~~
    Lee Noga
    p.s. I have '87 Jag XJ6 also.

Post Thanks / Like
    there are two wires inside a vinyl loom clipped to and following the contour of the bottom lip of the tank.

those two wires connect to the solenoid.

someone might have pushed them in towards the tank quarter panel / cover.

To confirm, you need to remove the side chromed and rubber section of the rear bumper,
    then the row of posidrive screws along the tank panel where it connects to the center valance panel.

then there are 4 bolts inside the rear of the wheel housing that must be removed,
    those 4 bolts connect the quarter panel to the wing.

then you can remove the quarter panel and see the wire loom along the bottom
    edge of the tank and exactly where it exits towards the changeover solenoid.

Follow the steps in the Service Manual and you will not cause any damage.
    If you need the Service Manual for the Series 3 XJ-6, download it free at my website Jag Upgrades:

www.jagupgrades.webstarts.com
    1965 Jaguar 3.8 'S'
    1984 Jaguar XJ-6 4.2

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it would be wise to inspect the fuel feed pipes that lie in the boot behind a cover in the spare wheel well. We see a lot of owners reports funny things to their cars, and often its because some misguided former owners have done their own modifications to avoid spending any money. Some will just run on one tank and block the other one off but still leave the tank in place with its filler cap to catch out the next owner.
    Fleet manager (!!) of: -
    XE Portfolio 180 AWD 2017
    VW New Beetle 2009
    MG Midget 1500 1977
    MG TF 135 2010

Post Thanks / Like
    Update on trying to my '86 Jag Series III running again. It has been a tough struggle. Because I could not find the wires to the switchover solenoid below the tank, I dropped the tank and found the harness caught above the tank. Someone previously must have dropped the tank for some reason and screwed up and did not do the job properly. Anyway, got that done and wanted to see if everything was working properly. Nope!! The fuel pump would not run. The pump is frozen with this crappy gas our gov is forcing us to use. I causes more headaches!! Won't go there but very dissatisfied for obvious reasons. Anyway, the pump is frozen and when I tried to hook up to a small battery supply it drew over 10 amps and would not function. All because of the alcohol fuel. So replace the pump seems to be the only solution. But they are not cheap! TWO QUESTIONS~ Has anyone tried to free the pump by soaking it in solvent? Or has anyone tried to take it apart and fix? It is possible but would be time consuming. Also wondering is the pump is fused?? I would have thought that it would have blown a fuse drawing so much amperage!! If there is a fuse, where is it?? The manual is not that great!!
    p.s. How do I properly follow a thread that I posted on this subject or heading. I think I posted a couple of messages on the wrong heading. I would like to add a message occasionally regarding my progress such as now but not sure this is the best way to do it. Also there is a Quick Reply and a Go Advance. What is that all about. Confused!!
    p.s. Let me aske you

Post Thanks / Like
    my 1984 runs fine with 87 unleaded with 10% alcohol. I do not think the fuel ruined the pump, when they go they go.
    There is no fuse for the fuel pump. Yes these pumps can be opened and cleaned by uncrimping the crimps on one side. I have a spare pump if you want to buy it
    $65.00 delivered in USA..

The go advanced is when you want to add a picture to your reply. Otherwise it is the same as entering text in the quick reply box.
    1965 Jaguar 3.8 'S'
    1984 Jaguar XJ-6 4.2