Thread: Quick question or 2, Ad-blue top up within 5 year service.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Quick question or 2, Ad-blue top up within 5 year service.

I have spoken to the nice people at Jaguar who said I can have my Ad-blue topped up within the first 5 years as part of the servicing package for free.

I have now got the 'DEF fluid is low' message.... still got around 1500 miles but would like to get topped up.

Question 1. Does it have to be a Jaguar dealership, or can it be a Jaguar approved garage?

Question 2. Do you have to book it in just for this one thing, or roll up and be patient? (Or is this garage dependent?)

Thank you.

Smarty
    My Jaguar is - XF Portfolio 2.0 2017 Diesel
    I also have a SWB Ford Transit for our dogs (5 Newfoundands and 2 English Cocker Spaniels)

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you not just go to a petrol station that trucks use and fill it up yourself, they have Adblue there?
    XF 3.0D S 2010 Luxury. Indigo with champagne interior
    Daily drive, 1996 Mitsubishi Lancer 1.5, 2 door with 370,000 klm on the clock that just keeps going. No ABS, no airbags and these strange handles on the door that if you turn them the window opens
    Too many previous cars to mention but none as good as the Jag

3. Likes Smarty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Smarty,

Pretty much every petrol station stocks DEF (AdBlue).

It's about £6 - 7 for 10 litres and will take to all of about 5 minutes to top the tank up.

If your warning message has come on it will take the whole 10 litres.

Personally, I'd save my my time unless your Jag dealer is in the building next door .
    2017 XE Portfolio 180PS AWD in Santorini Black with climate pack (I don't scrape!) panoramic roof, privacy glass and 19" style 1015 wheels (that I'd happily swap for a nice set of 18" 5 spokes. Anyone?)

5. Thanks Smarty thanked for this post
    Likes Smarty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My local garage that service's my car, can't understand why Jaguar warn about Overfilling with AD BLUE you would have thought it was just a matter off Topping Up.

Well when i bought my XF from a Ford Garage, they had bought 16 litres off Ad Blue from the Jaguar Dealer that actually sold the car from New.
    And when i left the garage and drove home i was getting a Amber Fault Message for the AD BLUE and as the car was going into the Jaguar Dealer for the H149 Recall i mentioned about the Fault message and they wanted me to Pay for them to Drain the AD BLUE Fluid and Refill with New Fluid because this had to be done to Clear the Fault Message on the Dash at a Cost off £160 pounds, i told them to phone the Ford garage as they had organised the Recall and the Ford Garage paid the £160 pounds.

Everything has/is working fine but what does member's do, do you wait for a Warning message before Topping Up. The Jaguar Dealer told me that they could Top up for £27 pounds. And does one have to Buy Ad Blue with the Jaguar Part Number on it or Buy from any Supplier.

Regards Tom.
    Now driving an XF 2017 model 2 litre 180 hp Diesel Portfolio Ammonite Grey and Light Oyster Leather /Oyster Carpets.
    Previous.
    2009 X Type 2:2 Auto Sovereign.
    2008 X Type 2:2 Auto S Basic.
    2005 X Type 2 litre manual SE.

7. Likes Smarty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tom, good lord no, any DEF will do as long as it meets the reqd spec (I don't have it to hand but I suspect they all do). On my XE the message usually comes up when I have about 1500 miles left in the tank so to speak. 10 litres then all goes in (as I said earlier, about £6-7 and about 5 minutes of my time) and I'm good for about anouther 8,000 miles.

Simples.
    2017 XE Portfolio 180PS AWD in Santorini Black with climate pack (I don't scrape!) panoramic roof, privacy glass and 19" style 1015 wheels (that I'd happily swap for a nice set of 18" 5 spokes. Anyone?)

9. Thanks Trooper thanked for this post
    Likes Trooper, Smarty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RWD3M View Post
    Tom, good lord no, any DEF will do as long as it meets the reqd spec (I don't have it to hand but I suspect they all do). On my XE the message usually comes up when I have about 1500 miles left in the tank so to speak. 10 litres then all goes in (as I said earlier, about £6-7 and about 5 minutes of my time) and I'm good for about anouther 8,000 miles.

Simples.
    Your the first owner that i've seen that's admitted to Topping up the DEF. Lol

After what happened with the Ford Garage topping up the Def i'm just being a bit cautious, i've read the Handbook and the Specifation part numbers are ISO22241-1 or DIN70070 and amount used approximately 1:1 litres per 1000 kilometres.

In the F Pace Section I mentioned about a BMW owner topping up with AD BLUE because he had a Warning that the Engine would not Start if the Engine was Switched off. So i presume he had ignored previous warning messages.

Regards Tom.
    Now driving an XF 2017 model 2 litre 180 hp Diesel Portfolio Ammonite Grey and Light Oyster Leather /Oyster Carpets.
    Previous.
    2009 X Type 2:2 Auto Sovereign.
    2008 X Type 2:2 Auto S Basic.
    2005 X Type 2 litre manual SE.

11. Likes Smarty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Tom,

I see it as no different to filling up with fuel, I just don't have to do it as often! And it certainly isn't difficult.

The filler for mine is in the boot, I'm guessing the XF is the same?

I think if you do get as far as running out completely the car may refuse to start but again, no different to running out of fuel

I see you too are a former X Type owner. I had one myself (actually still have it, I can't bring myself to get rid of it) and it gave fantastic service for over 240,000 miles.
    Last edited by RWD3M; 10-03-20 at 16:59.

13. Thanks Trooper thanked for this post
    Likes Trooper, Smarty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Tom

I agree with RWD3M

Just buy some AdBlue (got my last one from Screwfix as they had a deal on) and top it up yourself. The filler cap is in the boot and you get a funnel supplied with the AdBlue. 5 mins and you are done and still have money left in your wallet.
    XF 2.0 R Sport 68 plate, white and lots of toys

XF 2.2D R Sport 65 plate and black (of course) and loving the ride

15. Thanks Trooper, Smarty thanked for this post
    Likes RWD3M, Trooper, Smarty liked this post