Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Temperature Gauge Frustration!

Post Thanks / Like

Temperature Gauge Frustration!

Hi all,

I have a very frustrating problem with my 2.0D X-Type temperature gauge.

Story goes that I came back from holiday and was driving down the motorway. Temp gauge got into the red and I managed to get some more coolant from a local (to Heathrow) Jag garage as a "get me home" which did the job.
    Checked the hoses and I fixed the leak.

Now, the temp gauge will not work properly. Even after 4 hours of motorway driving it might be just above the blue. However, when towing it will rise to the middle. I have also noticed that the car has a rough idle when starting from cold and sorts itself out once warm and the revs drop slightly.

Does anyone have any experience with a similar issue?
    I have seen online that it could be the thermostat, but there are two so which one?
    Does anyone have some decent photos of changing both oil and coolant thermostats?
    Alternatively, I did wonder if this issue could be with the sensor, but surely this would flag up as an error code, which I have scanned with no errors showing.

Thanks for your help!
    Jaguar X-Type 2.0 Diesel SE 2005

Post Thanks / Like
    it's probably worth changing both thermostats but the most common one that causes low temp readings is the oil cooler thermostat which lives under the air filter box

easy enough to change but get the genuine jag one preferably from JLR dealers it costs around £35
    there's talk about different opening temps with the ford thermostat which looks exactly the same

3. Thanks meister thanked for this post
    Likes Jag-Black liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oil cooler thermostat certainly cured my low temp needle. I couldn't get it out of the blue. Noe I can get it halfway on the motorway. Worth doing this one first. Quite easy, except trying to locate the bolt blind when fixing the new one in.
    Silver 04 2.0L X Type Estate 160,000 Miles.

Standard fitments: Full leather seats, heated seats, headlight washers, heated windscreen, 18inch wheels and premium sound system.
    Retrofitted: Message centre.

5. Likes meister liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks cosmicma and EdToo. Appreciate it.

I have bought a genuine oil cooler thermostat and should be arriving this week. I will keep you posted!

Post Thanks / Like
    Could be an airlock causing the problem. Refilling the 2.0D is not straightforward. A procedure should be followed and Jaguar recommend using a vacuum filling device for this purpose. I should install the new thermostats first and in the meantimeI will try and find my Haynes manual which probably gives alternative instructions.
    Harry
    2003 X Type 2.0D SE. Jaguar racing green. Champagne/Mocha interior. Getting old but still a serious contender that turns heads with that distinctive Jaguar styling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just run engine with coolant cap off and heater on full heat.
    Current. 2011 XFS Portfolio. Lunar Grey (LJZ) / Black (LEG).
    Previous. 2012 XF Premium Luxury. Remapped 307 BHP / 449 lb/ft. Italian Racing Red (CAH) / Barley
    Previous. 2005 55 reg 06MY 2.0D Sovereign. Jaguar Racing Green - HGZ.
    In storage.1988 Daimler XJ40. Bordeaux Red / Doeskin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi personality once you have the new stat I would drain down the system. This gives you an easier time when changing the stat, and also allows you to refresh the coolant if it is old. When refilling open the bleed valve on top of the pump and slowly refill until coolant runs from the valve. Tighten valve and continue to slowly refill. Once fully topped up run the engine to see if further topping up is necessary. There is a drain valve on the bottom of the radiator.
    Stephen.
    2005 2Lt Diesel Sovereign. Vin E71974. 140K

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Stephen.
    Do you know where the drain valve is located on the X-Type diesel? I haven't been under the car yet, but is it nearside or offside under the radiator?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi as far as I can remember the plastic screw drain it is located on the offside near the lower corner of the rad. A wide / low container would be helpful as the coolant hits a obstacle when it drains and splash’s everywhere (it did on mine anyway)
    Stephen.
    2005 2Lt Diesel Sovereign. Vin E71974. 140K

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy2Jags View Post
    Just run engine with coolant cap off and heater on full heat.
    that's pretty much how i did mine when i changed the water pump apart from opening the bleed screw on the pump to allow it to bleed through a little

run the engine until it gets up to temp to allow the thermostats to open and coolant go through the radiator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast