Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rear brake pads

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that, didn't know there was a GG-rated rear pad option. Some interesting posts recently on this, apparently the ABS system is calibrated for GG rated front and FF rated rears for brake balance reasons. Just need someone to come up with a HH rated front pad now
    Current: 2009 XKR 5.0
    Previous: 2008 XKR 4.2

I take photos of cars! Find me on Facebook, Instagram and Flickr.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are TRW putting DOT codes on their base products these days? I had a set of TRW pads on the front of mine. They worked but measured pitifully. I'm not surprised they were not going to say what compound level they used. The TRW GDB1877 I had had no DOT code markings. Cheap adequate product but nothing special. As the fronts were so bad, I binned the new rears when I swapped back to OE for the fronts.

I don't believe that the comparative temps front to back has anything material to do with the friction levels. For example, our Tucson has FF fronts and GG rears from the factory. But whatever the manufacturer chose is what the ABS and DSC were calibrated with.

The cheap rear OE pads for the 376 mm discs are also FF and are also made by ATE. The ATE part number and compound numbers are identical. The C2P25493 has the fancy clips and a dramatically higher price
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 17k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 12k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Neilr I had to ask TRW for the dot code I was interested in what was on the back. They are as you say nothing special.

John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12