Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear brake pads

Post Thanks / Like

Rear brake pads

Hello everyone , want to change my rear brake pads XK 2011 is this an easy job to do ?
    What brake pads are recommended.
    Do I need the wind back tool for the piston and if so where can I purchase one of these .
    Thanks Gerry

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsamson View Post
    Hello everyone , want to change my rear brake pads XK 2011 is this an easy job to do ?
    What brake pads are recommended.
    Do I need the wind back tool for the piston and if so where can I purchase one of these .
    Thanks Gerry
    Yes it’s an easy job.
    I recently changed pads and discs on mine . Took 30 mins each side.
    You will need a windback tool .I got a multi car tool from Ebay for about £14.

Some suggest disconnecting the battery to release electronic hand brake , I didn’t but I did make sure it was disengaged by pushing the brake lever down to release it completely.
    I used Mintex pads and discs which were silver coated . I got the set in Ebay for around £80.

Mintex or Pagid all similar a they are now the same company. No need to spend a fortune
    For me it was a no brainier to change discs as well as they are cheap
    XK 150 4.2 2006 black convertible

3. Thanks Jimbov8 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by woo5ie View Post
    Yes it’s an easy job.
    I recently changed pads and discs on mine . Took 30 mins each side.
    You will need a windback tool .I got a multi car tool from Ebay for about £14.

Some suggest disconnecting the battery to release electronic hand brake , I didn’t but I did make sure it was disengaged by pushing the brake lever down to release it completely.
    I used Mintex pads and discs which were silver coated . I got the set in Ebay for around £80.

Mintex or Pagid all similar a they are now the same company. No need to spend a fortune
    For me it was a no brainier to change discs as well as they are cheap
    Hello , thanks for your quick reply , I don't suppose you have a link for the pads and the wind back tool .
    RegardsbGerry

Post Thanks / Like
    This was the wind-back tool adapter I bought - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0035MOQZA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That will work with the Laser wind-back tool.

As above, ensure the parking brake is not engaged before you start, I've done this several times on both of my XKRs and never disconnected the battery. As for pads, I'm in the "you get what you pay for camp" but that being said there have been numerous discussions on here over the years and the people that really know what they're talking about always recommend sticking with OEM items.
    Current: 2009 XKR 5.0
    Previous: 2008 XKR 4.2

I take photos of cars! Find me on Facebook, Instagram and Flickr.

6. Thanks Jimbov8 thanked for this post
    Likes MarkyM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think you will find ford focus rear brake pads fit the xk which because they are for a ford they are a lot less expensive

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably exactly the same part from the same manufacturer. The brake system is made by ATE Teeves. OE Jaguar pads are ATE for the rears and Jurid for the fronts, certainly for the XKR.
    Current: 2009 XKR 5.0
    Previous: 2008 XKR 4.2

I take photos of cars! Find me on Facebook, Instagram and Flickr.

9. Thanks Jimbov8 thanked for this post
    Likes Jimbov8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know which pads are used on the XK but a part number that appears often is C2P26112. The earlier ones are from ATE Germany with edge code FF. The later ones are made in India with edge code FE. So at least a different compound. Personally, I like to keep the brake balance as close to original as possible and in this case would search out the ATEs or another pad from a respected manufacture with FF or better edge code. Did I see that the Mintex pads on this application were GG rated? Interesting, but only if the front pads are also good and have not been changed for something cheap and weak by a previous owner!
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 17k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 12k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

11. Thanks MarkyM thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsamson View Post
    Hello , thanks for your quick reply , I don't suppose you have a link for the pads and the wind back tool .
    RegardsbGerry
    Not sure if your discs and Pads are the same size as on my 2006 model. I believe they could be slightly larger.
    I have often used Cars Parts 4less who are are on EBay . Never a problem and always a good price.
    As Regards the windback tool I just picked one that did lots of different cars and works clockwise and anti-clockwise.
    I cant remember which way the XK needs .

If you are getting replacement Mintex discs make sure you get the silver coated ones which
    stop them going rusty on the hub and edges. Works a treat
    XK 150 4.2 2006 black convertible

13. Thanks Jimbov8 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    They wind back in clockwise same on the left and right side

15. Thanks Jimbov8 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Front pads Jurid OE are GG rated there are rear pads made by TWR gtb1877 which are GG, the expensive rear pads OE part no C2P25493 are FF
    Having fitted them could feel the difference in braking performance. I am taking from this is that the rears are running cooler than the fronts and don’t necessarily need a G rating pad
    Pad rating Dot Code
    F= 35-45
    G= 45-55
    H= 55-65

John

17. Thanks 8bit thanked for this post
    Likes 8bit liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast